Screw Halo 2. MGS3 has arrived.

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:40 am

Heheh my mate and I had loads of fun playing that game....yeah I wasn't impressed either but I just enjoyed kicking aliean and body snacther ass so meh
Spider Jerusalem
Solider

Post by Spider Jerusalem » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:31 am

Cloud wrote:will this take me more than 6 hours to complete on my first go? <_<
It took me 12 hours.
WildCard
Not-A-Deserter

Post by WildCard » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:58 am

i hate to say this....i REALLY fucking hate to say this but i've been playing mgs3 today and so far....the controls suck to shit compared to the other two games. however, the opening sequence was damn good though with snake jumping out of the plane and all but....there was the part with the boss where they speak and to be honest, that already ruined the plotline for me. i would've thought something that in depth wouldn't come till later in the game to keep things interesting but you can already tell she's going to defect it's so obvious. i think all in all it's turning out to be a well rounded game but it's nearly killing the series as a whole with the concept behind it, considering how long it takes to switch camoflage, or equipment or look at a map, etc.

i will say going through the swamp area for the first time was rather interesting with the two aligators you come across at the beginning....i waded through the mud/quicksand or w/e and drown....that was a surprise to say the least. but if the controls weren't so screwy, i could have just moved back like in any other game without having to mess with camera angles to see where the fuck i'm going. yes, i hate that camera angle shifting with the right analog stick....it makes no fucking sense why it was even put in. it just hinders being able to actually move anywhere considering you can't hardly see where the fuck you're going.

it's got to be the first time any game has ever been so annoyingly redundant with controls that i found myself going around in fucking circles. what's really stupid though is that at first in the opening sequence snake sounded a bit like raiden when he was talking to the boss. almost like he had anger issues over his mommy leaving him at the fucking cradle. yet this snake is suppose to be the original big boss and he was near on whining??? then back to being normal which kinda messes up the personality for the character some. it switched from one thing to another in the blink of an eye and i'm greatly saddened that they could do that with a character that's suppose to be a legend in the game series. as a whole i'm greatly disappointed in the sense that it's got such sucky controls and all these minor annoying quirks. it's turning out quite nicely but it doesn't even begin to touch the original mgs game. it does however so far outdo mgs2 but that's not saying alot. I think that hideo has raped his own game series compared to the original metal gear games and mgs, which for someone that revolutionized action gaming is just kinda......stupid. he reinvinted this type of gaming for platforms and i'm at a loss as to why or how he could make all these mistakes which by the looks of it are deliberate attempts to kill the series and considering that, he should just quit making the games altogether then if that's what he's trying to do.

As a fan of the entire series since the original when it was out on nintendo and such....i'm at a loss other than that, the game i came to enjoy the most has slowly turned to crap before my eyes. the next one if there is a next one, i won't bother getting until AFTER i've rented it and determined if it is worth buying. as to game of the year....my vote goes to killzone for that title. now THAT'S a hell of a fucking game compared to mgs 3. ^_^

oh, as good as this game is, considering the amount of time if played straight through, is nothing compared to the near 24 hours it took me to actually beat killzone my second time through, nonstop mind you.
Last edited by WildCard on Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spider Jerusalem
Solider

Post by Spider Jerusalem » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:53 pm

Jesus Christ, they're the same fucking controls as the first two games.

The D-Pad is to sneak past without being heard.

Personally, I loved the elimination of the Soliton Radar. Because the fucking thing HASN'T BEEN INVENTED YET.

Changing Equipment, Camo, and healing yourself is tedious? Tough shit.

You actually have to do those things if you're infiltrating somewhere.

People have relied on having things handed to them.

MGS3 isn't the game for you if youw ant things handed to you.

As for the storyline? Well if you actually played the fucking game though, things fall into place. Things aren't what they seem on the surface.

And of course you forget that.

So go back to your mediocre game. I'll enjoy the best game of 2004, thank you very much.
Massacre
Solider

Post by Massacre » Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:48 am

WildCard wrote: I think that hideo has raped his own game series compared to the original metal gear games and mgs
i dont have as big an issue with it but yeah when compared to the originals its nothing. its like Star Wars and the Matrix. the creator took a series that it shouldnt have been possible to ruin and ruined it.
WildCard
Not-A-Deserter

Post by WildCard » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:03 pm

same controls my ass, similar controls maybe but the camera angle is horrid that they've put in, you can't see for shit unless you go into first person and if that's what konami was trying to develop they shoulda just made it a goddamn fps and not third person.

the controls for crawling are glitchy at best, i get to certain points and it just quits moving, which has caused a great deal of annoyance when trying to actually move through the bushes away from guards and blend with the scenery. the only GOOD part in this game i've seen was the sniper duel with the end. that was actually similar to an actual sniper duel. moving across more than one map section to fight with him was quite an addition. mind you up to that point the game literally sucks ass. the battle with the pain and the fear (goddamn those names suck so much monkey ass it's the worst character cast i've ever seen for the series), those fights didn't take but maybe 3 to 4 fucking minutes if that. ON HARD MODE!! (whatever happened to extreme mode that was so prevalent on the other games??) so, i don't exactly want things handed to me. i want a game that actually gives me a goddamn challenge. so far the one thing that this actually sticks to is the aspect of stealth. no other mgs or metal gear game has it been so easy to avoid the enemy........unno about you but isn't avoiding the enemy suppose to be...ya know...difficult??? oh and they didn't entirely get rid of soliton radar, there's still the motion detector, ap sensor and sonar detector so basically it's got everything just in a sense of the 60s technology.

also, the backdrop of trying to turn snake into something similar to james bond is ridiculous aswell. the theme snake eater reminds me of an old 007 movie, and not the ones with sean connery (which were the good ones mind you).

the game itself doesn't exactly get all that good till you get to the damn mountainside heading up to the laboraties at groznjy??? however the fuck that's spelled. but again it goes back to trying to sell the image of sex appeal with that eva character (mind you, the interaction of snake and eva reminds me of the interaction of meryl and snake in mgs). on top of that in that conversation between him and her at that scene at the mountain top was too damn similar for my liking....it made me think i was watching a re-enactment of snake and meryl after the fight scene with mantis. so yes....i'm greatly fucking disappointed in this game for the very fact it's too fucking similar to mgs and has the quality of mgs2.....but hey, for all of those out there who want to play this game....my review is that it's 100% Craptacula!!!
Last edited by WildCard on Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkside
Enforcer

Post by Darkside » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:58 am

the battle with the pain and the fear (goddamn those names suck so much monkey ass it's the worst character cast i've ever seen for the series), those fights didn't take but maybe 3 to 4 fucking minutes if that. ON HARD MODE!!

try useing the tranq gun on them in hard mode. mainly the ones after "the pain". But you do get there Camo's after taking them out with tranqs. The end is tough to get when you need to sneak up on the old fool and make him give the item to you.

Shit, Metal Gear Solid: TTT on Extreme mode was a Pain. Destroying the helicopter was the toughest part. Sadly Metal Gear Rex was easy to kill. i was expecting another tough battle like the helicpoter. Fuckers.

As far as i know, there is no "PERFECT" fucking game out there. all controls are different along with story and game play. Killzone probally has as much faults as MSG3. You can't fucking compare the damn games. Here we go. Halo 2 is better than both killzone and MSG3 combined. and i never even played Halo 2. Is that Fair? Nope. Do i give a shit? Nope. People are going to fucking enjoy a fucking game no matter what anyone says to them. Critics suck ass, can't take their word for shit.
WildCard
Not-A-Deserter

Post by WildCard » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:04 am

i'm not all out comparing this just to killzone, i'm comparing it to the original metal gear and the metal gear solid game. this thing pales in comparison to the originals and considering all the hype all the fucking critics that are PAID to make hype about it is ridiculous. for all the people who actually remember what this game was originally intended as, it is the biggest let down since the hype about the original halo game. if someone likes it, cool, but don't go bitching at me if i don't like it. i have every right to state my opinion on here about what i see the game as just as much as you do. if you don't like it.....hey, just like josh said; tough shit. ^_^
Wulf
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Wulf » Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:52 pm

hmm... does it feel like resident evil with the camera where up is always forward or does it feel more like 3d platform sorta camera where the direction you push the stick no matter where the camera is which way you go?
Spider Jerusalem
Solider

Post by Spider Jerusalem » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:35 pm

You DO know you can control the camera with the Right Analog stick, right?

And lock it by pushing the right analog stick in?

Did you even READ the instruction manual? They're there for a reason.

You get Extreme once you finish the game. You know, JUST LIKE THE OTHER GAMES.
WildCard
Not-A-Deserter

Post by WildCard » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:18 am

to be honest, extreme mode was listed on the original mgs just had to unlock it. yes i read the fucking instructional manual you fripping moron. the camera controls are only able to tilt to a certain degree, or angle across from left to right but it STILL fucking inhibits being able to actually SEE where the fuck you're going in the goddamn game. i've ran into buildings and even guards cause they don't show up on screen until it's too fucking late to see'em. with the other mgs games you could actually SEE where things were even without radar or any form of sensors. when you peeked around walls you could see down the length of the corridor or whatever direction you were looking in. in this one the camera angles up when you peek around rather than in the direction you're LOOKING in. so yes, as i said, the camera angles for this installment of mgs is fucked like no other. at best it's glitchy. now as i said, if you don't like what i think of the game oh fucking well. it's called a matter of differing tastes, and i much preferred the original mgs and metal gear games over mgs2 and mgs3. the only thing i noted with this one is that it's filled in many of the plotholes that all the other games left and made mgs2 less confusing by explaining who the fuck the patriots were. plus i liked that sniper duel and i still say that was and is the ONLY good part of the whole game.

oh and another annoying quirk about the game is the cqc shit.....nice idea but they could have made the controls to do them less annoying or the positions you have to be or the proximity to the sentries to actually do the moves. i've found even a slight press on the button to choke a sentry and use them as a shield or interrogate is rather difficult when the button ends up pressed too much and you end up slitting their fucking throat....i still love the concept of cqc in the game though, i just as i said, found it annoying at the sensitivity of the controls to do the moves.
Last edited by WildCard on Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:59 am

im a big fan ong the PS MGS games, i was disapointed in MGS:2...the story was disapointing....MGS:1 on the PSX was cool, it had a great storyline and the gameplay was hard at times even on easy,well especially at first

i will buy MGS:3

i will probably claim best game too, i loved MGS:2

MGS:2 had great graphics, a real step up from MGS:1,tho it can step up to MGS:1 at all

EDIT:

Yes screw Halo 2 it has nothing on Halo 1, which has nothing on DOOM 3
Last edited by Matt on Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spider Jerusalem
Solider

Post by Spider Jerusalem » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:16 am

You've obviously forgotten that Kojima was shooting for realism in this game.

Guards HAVE to be like that because that's how soldiers would act. The top-down view is restrictive? Use first-person.

Personally I didn't have any trouble with the game's controls at all.

OR the Camera.

Hell, I finished the game on Extreme without relying on the camera.
Darkside
Enforcer

Post by Darkside » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:59 am

WildCard wrote:i'm not all out comparing this just to killzone, i'm comparing it to the original metal gear and the metal gear solid game. this thing pales in comparison to the originals and considering all the hype all the fucking critics that are PAID to make hype about it is ridiculous. for all the people who actually remember what this game was originally intended as, it is the biggest let down since the hype about the original halo game. if someone likes it, cool, but don't go bitching at me if i don't like it. i have every right to state my opinion on here about what i see the game as just as much as you do. if you don't like it.....hey, just like josh said; tough shit. ^_^
This game wasn't hyped. People seen the name "Snake eater" and thought it was gay thinking it would be a bad game. The Fan's will love the game either way. They didn't even start advertising the game on tv until recently. least a week after it's release. They know the fans will buy it.

The controls are a lot better that an FPS game. If those games could only have controls like this.

Shit i didn't even know how to use CQC until i was midway through my econd play through. I didn't bother reading all that shit because i didn't want to waste so much time playing the game when i got work to do. Makes it a lot more fun though. Spirit Camo=God. nice for sneaking up on the enemies.

I don't really have a fav out of the three Solids. Each has flaws. People didn't like MSG2 because of raiden. I thought he was cool, i liked him. even though i wanted to play as snake more. which made Substance a good addition. MSG3 is more open than the first two game. so of course there will be problems because people liked the games don't like 1 and 2.

What most people don't realise, there wasn't even suppost to be a Metal gear solid 2 or 3. should be thank full we got something.

I loved "The End" and "The Boss's" Battles.

blah blah blah to tired to type anymore.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:06 pm

*kicks darkside*

too much coffee for j00 :P