Best graphics.

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:23 am

I cant claim to have played all the games out there. but I'd like to go ahead and give this award to soul calibur.

if you have a chance just go to the profile of any character and study how solid the model is.

no areas with under used faces and no areas with over used faces either. the quality od the skin detail is amazing and gives the impression that the models are actually a lot more poly heavy than they actually are.

and all this without bumpmapping too.

also theirs a little bit of realtime clothing physics involed. not enuff to get happy over. but enuff to give the characters life. theirs a few forgivable clipping errors thought.

all of that alone would be enuff for me to say that soul calibur was probably the best source of visually pleasing 3d characters.

but they has all of that on SC1 on dreamcast.

what pushes SC2 over the edge and into an A+ is the use of shaders. shaders have been around for ever and oddly enuff console games dont seem to make much use of it aside from the dredded Cell Shading.

SC2 uses multiple shaders and gets the to work to gether pefectly. you can actually see it on most of the characters availible, different parts of the skin which are supposed to be of different materials actually have a wide range of different luminosity.

whats really amzing is that they manage to accomplish all this detail WITHOUT the use of bumpmapping.

im affraid to think of what they could do if they had used it. games the currently use bumpmaps tent to look really smooth and have a quality about the textures that makes them nearly pass for real objects. (think clay) im almost sure that the artistic team would have found an alternative way to use it.

unless they already have. like i mentiond before the models dont seem to have a sharp out of place edge on them.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:40 am

Wow dude i have no idea what the fuck your talking about..but ill vote for soul caliber too

but are we talking in game or CGI's?
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:47 am

In game.
FMV's should never be counted as theyve been pretty steady since the begining. they only depend on 2 things. the time you want to spend making models with obscene polycounts. and the time it takes to render the mother fuckers cuzz theirs no possible way they could ever be real time.

somtimes you'll hear people talk about "render room" wher the soul purpose of the room is to house the computers that are rendering the animations.
and sometime they take days.

anyway. its the ingame stuff im talking about, takes a lot of time skill and the use of every trick in the book to get your ingame models to look just as good as the ones from SC.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:05 am

hmmm i change my mind now...Tekken 4

im gonna get greif for it but....that has been the best so far....in my opinion
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:13 am

well its very possible that the dev teams for both games are composed of the same people.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:16 am

those were my thourghts too

soul caliber is pleasingly different though....different gameplay

when it first came out i thought "oh here comes a Tekken rip off,but at least its by the same company,not like the kessiken or sommat"

mind you SC is very seemless...where as in tekken models can be seen to overlap....alot
iMak
Civillian

Post by iMak » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:26 am

Soul Caliber 2 was made and released because Tekken 4 didn't sell as well as they wanted, so thus, the profitable sequel of Soul Caliber 1.

I could be wrong though.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:29 am

dont get me wrong....SC was ace...but im a tekken fan...have em all
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:26 am

im not a teken fan.

now that i think about it. im not really a fan of any 3d fighters aside from soul calibur.

when youre raised on the 2d fighters, all the 3d fighters just seem to damn slow.
but Soul Calibur has that weapons angle and doesnt seem to suffer from speed problems.
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:07 am

Soul Calibur 2 is a most astheticaly pleasing game, it also fucking rules!!

if i wasnt so damn tired, id be playing it now

i prefer game play over graphics tho, sc2 has both
Darkside
Enforcer

Post by Darkside » Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:52 am

SC2's graphics are great. fun game. wish i could play as spawn.

I have been impressed with a fighting game that'll be released late september. I don't wanna compare, i don't wanna say who's graphics are better, But Def Jam Vendetta: Fight for Ny has some slick graphics. nice character designs. hell of a lot better than the first. rap haters, don't bother replying, i don't want negative shit from you.

The last Tekken game i played was 3. they just didn't look fun after that. MK: DA had some nice graphics, next one proballly will be better.

SC2 is still a sweet game.

Edit-seeing kaos's last post. Speaking of 2D game...the fastes fighting game seems to finally be getting a makover. King of Fighter. But from what i read at IGN, the game is no longer fast fighting. same moves, same everything else, now 3D...but now lacks in speed. thats going to be a dissapointment.
Last edited by Darkside on Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:27 pm

kaos wrote:im not a teken fan.

now that i think about it. im not really a fan of any 3d fighters aside from soul calibur.

when youre raised on the 2d fighters, all the 3d fighters just seem to damn slow.
but Soul Calibur has that weapons angle and doesnt seem to suffer from speed problems.
such as mortal kombat?...fucking great game

i think tekken should have some sort of finishing move...makes it more pleasing to decimate your friends
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:44 pm

kaos wrote:when youre raised on the 2d fighters, all the 3d fighters just seem to damn slow.
I haven't played Soul Calibur but I do love the thrill of fighting with weapons in Soul Blade. But one thing I really really notice when playing it after Tekken 3 is that it takes far too long for the character to get up again. They probably fixed that in the later ones though.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:50 pm

getting up is controlled by the player now as far as i know.

you can prevent from falling at all and land on your feet.
if you do fall you can easily hop right back up.
and the if you dont press anything after falling you can litterally lay there for as long as you like.

the even let you roll around the ground if you fall.

i dunno if any of thats new tho. i havent played soul blade myself. just the last two caliburs
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:56 pm

I'm quite amazed at the physics in SC2.

Taki's breasts are made of jello apparently, by the way they move.