Board game recommendations

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Lupus
Alive

Post by Lupus » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:45 pm

Settlers of Cattan

This is an excellent board game where 4 players or team work against each other to be the first to gain the most points. You gain points by expanding and building settlements on a board comprised of many hexes of resources, which you need to build roads, settlements, cities or buy cards that can give you special abilities. Politics, trade and - if you've got the expansions - war all figure into who will come out on top. It's extremely fun, especially if you've got teams going. Also an excellent drinking game - Alcoholic Settlers used to be a much favoured past-time amongst my friends (I don't drink so usually they force me to watch... damn arseholes).

It's quite expensive though - the original board game costs $99AUD (around $50USD), and each expansion also costs the same. But it is a really excellent game, so if you've got friends to fork out the cash for it, I strongly recommend you make this part of your collection (or if you don't have a collection, make this a starting point!)
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:55 am

If your drinking I very much suggest Pictionary.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:14 pm

i know it's not exactly a board game, but i came up with a variation of jenga that i found tons of fun. Before you play, take some of the blocks (depending on how many people are playing and how trashed you want to get) and make some sort of mark on them in a place where you can't see it while playing. We used the bottom of the blocks, that's seemed to be the best way to do it. You play like normal, but if you pull out a block with a mark on it, you take a drink. It gets VERY amusing.
St.Lucifer
Enforcer

Post by St.Lucifer » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:15 pm

monopoly
tis the dogs baws
adok
Solider

Post by adok » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:36 pm

i really like cluedo
BoboTheIceMan
Enforcer

Post by BoboTheIceMan » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:27 am

Go. Robo Rally. and Formula De. Dino Hunt.. but it tetters on the edge.
Murton
Whelp

Post by Murton » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:06 pm

Monopoly kicks ass, but if you want something with a little more action the following from Games Workshop all kick ass if you can get your hands on them.

Blood Bowl - spend a set amount of gold pieces to create your Blood Bowl team and take them into the playoffs against your mates. Think NFL without the goals or rules. Basically your team has to pass, dodge and smash their way through the opposition to score as many touchdowns as possible. All the original warhammer races, humans elves orcs goblins undead etc etc. each with their own special strengths and weaknesses.

Hero Quest - an old classic produced in association with MB games, don't think this one is manufactured anymore but try ebay. 5 players max, four each play one of the heroes and the other guy plays the bad guys. I think there's like a 13 quest campaign or something to play though and the storyline is actually really good, especially in a couple of the addons, characters gain wealth throughout the campiagn which can be spent on extra equipment and such to improve their abilities and such.

Space Crusade - another old classic produced in association with MB Games. No longer manufactured but well worth trying to get hold of. Up to 3 squads of Imperial Space Marines board alien infested space hulks in an effort to complete a series of challenging and dangerous missions. The campaign play is excellent as every successful mission upgrades your squad.

Space Hulk - This one is a great laugh. Team of terminator Space Marines board a space hulk and the only enemies are Genestealers. Marines have timed turns and are only capable of so many actions per turn, the pressure of making the decision of what to do with which squad members makes this a great mental game. Not sure whether this is still manufactured, I would guess not.

That's it for the Games Workshop games, with all of these being out of manufacture ebay is probably your best hope of finding them, if you do find them however they are considered collectors items by many Old School GW fans so if anyone out there has them in mint condition...

As for other board games, Monopoly is probably the only non-GW game that I play anymore, which come to think of it is kinda sad.