long life and immortality

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:31 pm

just another random theory of mine.

Ever notice that the super strong power mad villains bent on destruction or something else fairly stupid are always either immortal or just really old.

in either case they’ve lived for quite a long while...much longer than normal.

I think theirs a direct relationship between that kind of lunacy and age.

I had a witness ask me if i wanted to live forever.
I said no.
*shock*
she then explained that if i lived for ever i could stay at peak performance for eternity.
still no (actually hell no)
*dumfounded shock*

she was trying hard to sell me on this immortality thing obviously.

my reason for not accepting...
first long life has got to be boring enough.
second long life with while being stuck in your prime....that’s hell.(to me)

your skills don’t deteriorate, but then they don’t improve either.
you can never look back and say that’s the best thing I ever did or reminisce about the good old days. And because you’re unable to do something poorly you’re not going to have much of a variety at all. Its a world without consequence.

Personally I think that would be a guaranteed way to drive me (and most people) literally insane.

I read somewhere that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over and over again and yet expecting different results.

That’s exactly what undying person stuck in an undying prime is forced to do, and now were back were we started. a power mad villain bent on destruction else fairly stupid.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:45 pm

I totally agree. In fact, I don't even want to live past 75.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:08 pm

pft... you're a wuss james, I don't want to live past 50

I disagree with the skills nto improving, that's a time thing, no matter how your body doesn't age, you are still able to get better, or worst, depending on ohw long you have been doing or not done something.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:14 pm

I want to live as long as i'm meant to, be that 50 years or a thousand. Makes no difference to me.
Akrid
Solider

Post by Akrid » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:15 pm

at some time or another you'll wish for it to end, being around for thousands of years would bore me to death, you would have seen, lived, and experienced that life has to offer. I would get rather bored with life after that amount of time.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:19 pm

oh often are you NOT bored in a normal life span.... fuck that
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:31 pm

Well that's a maximum. Depends how things go.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:38 pm

still say you're a wuss :P
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:06 pm

Hmm, id hate it, to see everyone you love and care for wither away and die, and you, still fit and healthy...thatd suck so damn much
Nosferatu
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Nosferatu » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:44 pm

honestly, i wouldn't want to live forever, unless there came a point when there were no people i really cared about. in that case, i would fully support myself going completeley freaking psychotic, because when you're insane, day to day life probably wouldn't be quite so jaded.

plus, the fictional characters bent on destruction are NOT always really old or immortal.

but even when they aren't , they still tend to be crazy

oh yes, and will, i know someone who has decided that if he hasn't died by the age of twenty four he wants me to kill him
Last edited by Nosferatu on Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:34 pm

immortality is something I would want.

In theory it could be a terrible thing but with the proper mental preperation and time one could handle the 'turmoil' experiance dicates all, being at your 'prime' can only help how you deal with the things avaible to you, it can't hinder you.

When I was young I believed in fate and destiny and they are such a collecton of quaint ideas, vaguely romatic in nature. I searched for patterns where there could be none, I became convinced that history was a repeating loop in which everyone had a role preset. to me at the time 21 was well old and so far away, the average age of death is 75 in this country that would be nearly 4 times my life now. But I don't want to die 4 times isn't enough.
WildCard
Not-A-Deserter

Post by WildCard » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:13 am

i'm going to agree with mik. what little time we have in this world is poorly spent due to society. that fact alone makes life seem pointless considering only a limited amount of time is dedicated to enjoying life while we're still alive. anyone who thinks that eventually there'd be nothing left to do or accomplish is dead wrong, there's a whole universe out there waiting to be explored, it'd take billions of lifetimes to actually do everything in the universe and considering the fact the universe may be infinite, the possibilities of having something new to do, are just the same.
Last edited by WildCard on Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:12 am

to me immortality is like taking away the risk of losing.

no risk = no thrill.
no thrill = no purpose.
no purpose = no reason to live..
but you cant die.
WildCard
Not-A-Deserter

Post by WildCard » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:43 am

yeah, but doesn't each person have a different concept of what losing may be? not to mention i think that if each person didn't have differing concepts of losing aswell as what risk is to them, the world would be far more dull than what it already is. you could have immortality and still take great risks in many aspects of life. just cause you live forever doesn't mean you're going to succeed at everything or anything for that matter. you could very well attempt to be a stock broker on wall street and end up bankrupt but try your luck at politics and end up president. there's just too many possibilities for there not to be risk to some extent no matter if you're immortal or mortal.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:11 am

And when you say "live forever" that can mean two things. It could mean that you're immortal or that you could never die of old age. If it were the latter, the risks would still be there because you could still die.