Musical influence

From those killer tunes that you heard 6 years ago in the back of a mini bus, heading into Utah, or the songs that are on the radio now. This is the place. (No R&B please, because it doesn't exist)
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:33 pm

just something interesting i noticed the other day

I have a 6 disc changer in my car, in slots 1 and 2 i put both parts of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and right after that some Dream Theater "scenes from a memory"

This was unintentional as i really like both groups, but after hearing The Wall back to back with Scenes from a Memory you can REALLY hear how Floyd had an influence on Dream theater's music. I've noticed the same with other artists. Rush, no suprise since Neil Pert was one of Mike Portnoy's idols, can be heard as well as influences of Metallica on some of their newer albums.

I was just wondering if any body else picked up a few things, like this band may have been influenced by this one, after listening to some older stuff then some newer stuff. Anybody?
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:27 am

Pick up some Opeth. I swear, if Tool and Pink Floyd had a kid, they would be it.

Well, besides their death metal-influenced vocals on some of the tracks.

Groups like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs (which I don't particularly like), I can hear a strong Siouxsie Sioux influence in Karen O.'s vocals.
Last edited by Morbid Angel on Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:27 am

opeth? really?

i'm gonna have to pick some of that up...
berwick upon tweed
Solider

Post by berwick upon tweed » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:51 pm

0. funny, after many months without listening to it, i just put on THE WALL. just now. funny.
1. pink floyd is one of the most influential bands ever. their space-like phase influenced bands such as radiohead and air, their psychodelic phase influenced bands such as the verve and primal scream, their epical and "beginning-middle-end" music influenced basically anything we could call "post rock" (mogwai, sigur rós, etc). not to mention their brain teasing lyrics influenced a whole bunch of others i can't remember now.
2. there has been a growing revival of old tendencies. new bands that are not ashamed to show where they come from. morbid angel cleverly pointed out the yeah yeah yeahs/siouxie and the banshees. we could also say interpol/joy division and charlatans/stone roses, for example.
Akrid
Solider

Post by Akrid » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:48 am

Floyd may have influenced many, but I think they're severly overrated, like Nirvana.
Wulf
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Wulf » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:49 am

lol.. nirvana..

its like a house hold name here.. makes me sick sometimes. They have some pretty good stuff.. just.. people go a little far about them.

Big companys take care of you.. blah blah.. blow your brains out... sales go sky high.

*cough*

anyway. i like floyd :)

<_<
Last edited by Wulf on Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:03 pm

Akrid wrote:Floyd may have influenced many, but I think they're severly overrated, like Nirvana.

i think you need your testicles removed

i'm currently listening to Phish (now THEY i consider over rated) trying to cover "time"

they are BUTCHERING this song, but for some reason i can't turn it off. It's like a bad car crash, you know you shouldn't look, hell you know you don't WANT to look, but you can't help it for some reason
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:19 pm

You can hear britney spears influnences in all modern rock.

and I swear Slipknot is the new village people.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:48 pm

There are extremely strong Pink Floyd influences in Porcupine Tree and a band you've never heard of called Gwailo. The thing is though, you could simply say they were in the same genre. It's just that you don't think of that so much in this case because Pink Floyd were really groundbreaking at the time.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:37 pm

i dont like pink flyodd,but they have influened many,and i agree with arkid..
berwick upon tweed
Solider

Post by berwick upon tweed » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:16 am

i forgot the obvious queen, van halen, poison, etc --> the darkness.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:25 am

too bad 'the darkness' isn't anywhere NEAR as good as any one of those bands alone was, but yeah that's plain as day.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:27 am

gah,bands are matter of opinion,theres no good or bad,just bands

in most opinions,a band can be "good",and in the same state of mind,another can be "bad"

this can be the oppersite

like i cant understand how cradle of filth actually get paid for making those noises,i would more rather a record company go to africa and brin back a tribe and make them make music,i would enjoy that more

where is this going,hmmmm,iunno

*craches head and walks off confused*
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:35 am

Queen vs. The Darkness

i mean seriously... can you honestly say The Darkness is better then Queen?
berwick upon tweed
Solider

Post by berwick upon tweed » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:26 pm

no he can't, because that would be a stupid thing to say.

but the darkness ain't bad, y'know...