Retro Gamers

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:03 am

let me explain it to you this way

people still listen to the beatles DECADES after they were finished. why? because they started something, or radically expanded on an idea already in existance.

Now has Rock music come a long way since the beatles? absolutly, but people still listen to them, they have fans that are younger then me. Do some people who like rock not like them? sure, but most of them at least have a respect for what they did to the music industry. And there are some people that don't give a rats ass either way

It's kind of the same thing, only with games instead of music, i won't bore you with a blow by blow comarison, i'll just assume you're intelligent enough to see it by yourself.
adok
Solider

Post by adok » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:53 pm

kay but people who listen to the beatles now listen to the meither on cd or digitally. very few use vinyle because it is a old tech its just better to use cds or mp3 and its the same with consoles the newer the better.

graphics dont make a game but they play a big part in what makes it fun.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:57 pm

well sorry dude if I ever want to listen to an old artist, I would want to listen to it on vinyal, I just would. And I rather play any retro game than any new game, the reason being. The retro games made what the games are today and they are so much different. Alot of games now are just the same stuff and played before. I really rather play Lemmings. And a game which I havent seen better and hopefully Chewi will agree with me is Elite Frontier, that was a game way before its time. Plus Wing Commander is so good.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:07 pm

*plays Frontier: Elite II and Lemmings 2 with nice wavetable music and smoothed-out graphics* :D
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:32 pm

adok wrote:kay but people who listen to the beatles now listen to the meither on cd or digitally. very few use vinyle because it is a old tech its just better to use cds or mp3 and its the same with consoles the newer the better.

its not even about how you play the game. cuzz people use emulators anyway.
its just that you do still play it.

and no. graphics does not = fun.
thats just silly.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:34 pm

adok wrote:kay but people who listen to the beatles now listen to the meither on cd or digitally. very few use vinyle because it is a old tech its just better to use cds or mp3 and its the same with consoles the newer the better.

it's the same thing on a different format

it's like playing an 8 bit nes game on a PC, sure you can smooth out the pixles, do some stuff like that, but it's still basicly the same thing on a different format

hell i don't even know where my NES is, all the classics i play ROMS of just because it's easier.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:37 pm

Castlevania 2
its still quite a challenge.
Last edited by kaos on Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:38 pm

graphics may add to some games, but i mean, i still enjoy playing text based adventures, my first encounter of them being back on the BBC, good times them
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:19 am

kaos wrote:Castlevania 2
its still quite a challenge.
hell man that game was impossible, still i wish they would do a remake of it, something with at least SNES level graphics, maybe re-translate some of the text (or add more of a story element) but leave the actual game alone.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:48 am

Play it with a walkthru faq. most of the good onese will clarify translation issues, and tell you what youre supposed to do, cuzz in the original cv...the npcs said random non-helpful stuff.

With the proper translation. CV2 could have been recognized as the forerunner to CV: SOTN (half rpg)

I believe it was, but since it didnt do too well they reverted back to pure action with CV3

I had planned to make a CV2 mod out of NWN. but I dont mess with NWN any more at all. but still CV2 influences nearly everything I do that has to do with supernatural shite.

(The town LRRH is from is called Jova aka Jova the starting town in CV2)
BradleySmith
Whelp

Post by BradleySmith » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:43 am

the problem with games today is they use CGI and in depth story as a crutch. They figure that now that they can make stuff pretty, they don't need to make it good. You know why pong was fun? because you didn't NEED a story to enjoy it.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:48 am

Atari 2600, POLE POSITION baby!! And don't forget the original Pitfall too . . .
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:36 pm

Pong was totally amazing and dude .. ATARI 2600 TOTALLY ROCKS!!!! God i thought i was one of the lonely ones who had those!