not sure why this bugs me

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:23 pm

Ansatsusha wrote:There will always be the "thugs" that dress the same, and the "jocks" that dress the same, and the "preps" that dress the same . . . but there are also the "jocks" that dress the same. NO matter who you are, how you dress, or where you come from, you will always conform somehow. Only through true individuality and the creation of your OWN style will you or I be different from the rest. The only problem to this is money. We need money to be different. Most people can't afford anything except what they find at the mall or at Old Navy . . .

Btw, I heard stores like Hot Topic are owned by the same company that owns Buckle, Gadzooks, and Pac Sun. They are selling you an image, and you are buying into it. Shop Goodwill or Salvation army if you want some cool stuff! How you dress all comes down to who you are on the inside, it's a mere outward manifestation.

You basically contridicted yourself there. You said you had to have money to be "different", which obviously you are referring to clothes. Then you said shop at Salvation Army and Goodwill (which is always fun, to me anyway.), which is just about as cheap as you can get with clothes. 2 bucks for tops and 3 for skirts and pants.

Clothes are superficial anyway, and you can't always judge a person by what clothes they wear. A person may look different, but they still may be the most conforming person there is. Some people may choose to wear what "everybody else is wearing" because they just find those clothes comfortable, or just plain like them. Does that mean they are weak-minded and only exist to follow the crowd? I certainly hope not. I shop at the Salvation Army, Wal-Mart, Old Navy, just about anywhere (as long as there are reasonable prices, I don't shop at places like Hot Topic, Gap or AE because they charge ridiculous amounts for clothes), so what does that make me?

I was lucky to go to a school where you actually didn't get made fun of for looking somewhat different, but actually got praise for it. Oddly enough, by the "blonde cheerleader" and "jocks" alike. I was the pale redhead with the big boots and black outfits. ;)

And as I always say "wear what you are comfortable in". Don't wear something or act a certain way for the exclusive reason to be different, or draw attention, people can see right through it. Do it if you love the look or you feel most comfortable in that attire.

And off note a bit, I got a lovely knee-length trenchcoat at Old Navy for 30 bucks. Whee.
Last edited by Morbid Angel on Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:30 pm

favourite places for clothes, good old george at asds, they rule, and the officers club in the high street, some nice t-shirts in there, knock down prices, i aint gona do what my brother does, he pays like 60 quid for a shirt hes gona wear once or twice, thats a fuckin waste imo

just wear what ya want, no point trying to conform, cos then you aint being you
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:32 pm

But what if wearing what you want is wearing Gap and AE? Does that mean automatically you're not yourself or your a conformist?
Last edited by Morbid Angel on Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:45 pm

Ansatsusha wrote:There will always be the "thugs" that dress the same
you gotta be kidding there. sure its all big clothes, but its a variety, color setup is very important to them and they have no problem with finding and using various matching accessories.

This group takes the basic look of the late 80's - 90's gangsta. and applies the rules of the 70's pimp to it.

one of the only groups where the males actually give a damn if the shoes they have on match the shirt and what their hair is like.

Fresh all the time. and not afraid to go with colors other than black.
the can even work with pink and still look masculine if the occasion calls for it.

They may not be leaps and bounds above the rest, but its one of the most creative groups out there. you gotta give them that.

line them up and they all look similar, but few of the look the same.(and if they do look the same they'll be quite pissed) theirs lots of room for variety withn this group.
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:08 pm

The only thing I can't stand about the look is the pink.

Gah, I don't care if it's hip, if it's secures your sexuality, I can't stand pink on a guy.
Last edited by Morbid Angel on Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:23 pm

Its not somthing I like myself. But it still there for the varity.
adok
Solider

Post by adok » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:37 pm

see i agree with teh wear what you want because its comfortable but i know people who dress as fashion dictates, and they have admited to me that a lot of the clothes are uncomfotable but they look good( which in my opinion they dont) so they wear them anyway. i will pay thirty pounds for a pair of jeans because they are comfortable primarily if they look good then they look good.
another thing is i refuse to wear anything that has a huge label on it for example nikle or addidas, this to me is advertising for the company and they should be paying me to wear it not the other way around.

and dave, george rules
runawaygurl
Not-A-Deserter

Post by runawaygurl » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:35 pm

Morbid Angel wrote:The only thing I can't stand about the look is the pink.

Gah, I don't care if it's hip, if it's secures your sexuality, I can't stand pink on a guy.

I can't either. I say wear whatever feels good to you. screw looks. if its comfey I'll wear it.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:44 pm

comfert > than looks is the ideal way things should work.
but honestly..realistly...its its the other way around.

especially among chicks....you would just never let it happen.

ofcourse i can tell you from, experience their not much thats uncomfertable about the so called "thug" look.
Last edited by kaos on Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runawaygurl
Not-A-Deserter

Post by runawaygurl » Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:12 am

LoL Whatever works for you. ^_^
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:35 am

adok wrote:another thing is i refuse to wear anything that has a huge label on it for example nikle or addidas, this to me is advertising for the company and they should be paying me to wear it not the other way around.
I've thought that very same thing myself but I've never thought of saying it to anyone. I think I will in the very near future. Heheh.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:00 am

I have that myself. except in the case of things like SHAFT and ATARI
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:34 am

Yeah but you'd wear ATARI because you like Atari. What's to like about Adidas?
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:41 am

I wouldnt were adidas new logo on my chest.
but the old one...hell yeah.
specially on a green t-shir

just add two more leaves

nothing wrong with adidas tho. the 3 stripe shit is the shit.
simplistic yet powerfull design element
Last edited by kaos on Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:54 am

i may have just found a new avitar....

actually i've been looking for shaggy from scooby doo without too much success

uh... but yeah, i don't think i own a single shirt with a logo on it asside from band shirts, and i've felt that way for a loooooong time