The SUVOA

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:03 am

More deaths than the Vietnam War? How dumb do they think we are?

http://www.suvoa.com/press/index.cfm?id=42
Press Release: Greenhouse Gas Rules, A Literal Dead End for California SUV Owners
Proposed CARB Rules Would Cause Deaths and Injuries, Loss of Freedoms

For Immediate Release
Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Contact
John Undeland, Communications Manager 877.44.SUVOA

SACRAMENTO - In public comments today, SUV Owners of America warned of dire consequences from proposed regulations to implement Assembly Bill 1493, which aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, particularly Carbon Dioxide (CO2) from new vehicles.

SUVOA notes that because there is no technological fix for reducing CO2 other than burning less fuel, the regulations being developed by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) inherently must center in mandated substantial jumps in fuel economy.

"Better gas mileage may sound great at first, but there is no such thing as a free lunch: Study after study shows that fuel economy increases have serious even deadly side effects," commented Ron DeFore, SUVOA communications director, speaking on behalf of 3.1 million SUV owners in California and 22,000 registered supporters of SUVOA.

A 2001 National Academy of Sciences report on automotive fuel economy regulation confirmed that downweighting and downsizing of vehicles during the 1970s and early 1980s likely resulted in an additional 1,300 to 2,600 deaths in 1993. Other studies by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), the Brookings Institution, the Harvard Injury Control Center confirm the grisly toll of mandated fuel economy boosts. In 1999, an in-depth analysis by USA Today used NHTSA and IIHS data and estimates to conclude that for ALL the years that federal fuel economy standards have been in effect, nearly 50,000 US lives were lost more than died in the Vietnam War.

Beyond literally trading blood for oil, government-forced fuel economy increases have serious tradeoffs in performance and utility that clearly have been rejected by the public. Alternatively, they mean staggering sticker shock because of expensive technologies and materials. An earlier NAS study estimated that even a modest MPG improvement of five to seven miles per gallon could add as much as $2,750 to the price of a new vehicle.

SUVOA urges CARB to be honest with the public: "If CARB rules force SUVs and other vehicles to be downsized, CARB owes it to the public to clearly disclose the deadly side effects," DeFore said. "On the other hand, if CARB rules force major price hikes, new vehicle window stickers should feature the 'CARB Tax' detailing the cost to consumers."

In light of the proposed regulation's severely negative consequences and their scantily demonstrated benefit to the climate of California and the earth, SUVOA urges CARB, Governor Schwarzenegger and the Legislature to reconsider this course.

Interviews are available upon request.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:55 am

Having been to the US, I think all American cars are grossly oversized. It's totally unnecessary. You ever seen a SMART car? They've almost outgrown being a gimmick over here. Shame they're so expensive.

http://www.photo.net/photo/pcd0796/smart-swatch-car-38.4.jpg
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:04 pm

Yea I went to the states and I mean the cars are pretty big, I seen a few over here and I mean u can have 4 ppl in the back seat of one and 3 in the front. And I know some are not allowd to be imported in cause of there size. I know the trans AM just meets restricts. But yea a Smart of a old Mini, would be suicde to take to the states lol.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:33 pm

You can get those big people carrier things here but they tend to only be bought by people who need them like families. Then again, I still think they're oversizes.
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:31 pm

79 dodge charger, oversizedish, but god damn shiny, and you get them whasem called, catalytic converters to help reduce CO2 emitions, so fook knows whats with all of tha above
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:42 pm

hey hey.
the car is an american invention.
we can make then as big as we want.

[/arrogant american voice]

I think theyre the sizes they are for cultural design reasons.
if you want something to sell in the US. then you can make it look like it doesnt stant up to the rest of the competition.

but this really isnt about the size of american cars VS. the size of the rest of the world anyway.
Last edited by kaos on Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:46 pm

Nope, tis bout people thinking that reducing CO2 emitions can lead to death, like wtf??
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:37 pm

it's just the american mindset, bigger is better

and sometimes it is...
Shane
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Shane » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:04 pm

suv's suck. Not really much for a suburban vehicle if they cannot go through the suburbs. =/
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:11 am

I saw some Smart Cars too when I was in Berlin. Aren't they able to park sideways in a parking spot?

And yes, cars there were much smaller in general. The only vehicle I saw there that was of an "American" size almost hit me while I crossed the street. So there's some ammunition to use against us Yanks, fire away.

My dream vehicle is a turbo-diesel Vespa. With fins.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:22 am

I've never seen them park sideways but I guess they could.
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:26 am

they can, tis cool...

what, i saw a stupid thing when they were messing round with em, they had a few kick ass modded ones too

(and damn matt, that comic thing in yer sig is..is..disturbingly cool so far)
Massacre
Solider

Post by Massacre » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:38 am

cars suck. its all about motorcycles
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:49 am

nuhut, gyrocopters damnit!!
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:22 am

a friend of mine had a little MG once

damn thing was so fucking small. If you had two people in it you better know eachother real well or you'll kill....

and yeah, i know those smart cars are great on gas and are probably fine if you never plan on riding with anybody, but seriously, how practical is it to buy something you can't haul cargo in or other people?