The Islands of Chandara: Fly like the Dragons

Fiction based on sources already out, original material and other personally made literature.

Moderator: Xanien

Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:58 am

Among the trees of a dense forest, a lone man walks, well aware of the elf that shadows his every movement. He maneuvered behind a tree, hiding his presence. ‘For an elf… he sure is loud’ the man thought to himself. The elf came close to the tree and spoke up,

“Where did that dirty human go?”

As if in answer, a large hand grasped at him, and before he knew it his body was flung in the air and slammed against the tree.

“Why are you following me!” the man demanded to know.

“I was making sure you don’t harm the forest you brute” the elf said, still recovering from the shock of being attacked without so much as a warning.

As the elf’s feet dangled, he fully realized the size of the man he had been prior pursuing. The elf was a decent five feet four inches in height, tall for his kind, and the man holding him clearly had at least a foot advantage over that. The human was bald on the head, had a scar across his left eye, and had a rough black mustache connected to the goatee on his chin. The scar did not harm the eye it crossed over, but it made his green eyes stand out more. His body was well built, bulky and full of muscle.

The elf could not compare to him in any way. The elf’s eyes were a much more dazzling, an emerald as compare to the man’s tired green. On top of his head was a well cared for brown, which reflected the light that illuminated over it. The man dropped the helpless elf.

“Trees? You think I give a damn about trees? Don’t worry… I have no intention of hurting your precious trees.” He turned and continued walking.

The elf stood there a second then ran a tad to catch up to the human. After a moment the elf spoke up,

“Sorry about the miss understanding, the name’s Dale.”

The man responded out of instinct, “Xander…”

“So where are you going?” Dale asked as he followed.

Xander began to walk a little faster, “does it matter?”

His counterpart picked up speed as well, “Well, I figure I owe you another set of eyes for judging you the way I did.”

Xander stopped dead in his tracks. “Wait… let me get this straight… you misjudged me… so now you’re going to follow me?”

The elf’s reply came quick, “Yep.”

Xander had a grim look on his face, “I don’t want you traveling with me”

“Sure you do” Dale responded, “Everyone wants someone to talk to.”

Xander turned and continued walking again, ignoring the elf as he droned on and on about various things. After an hour of none stop chatter on the elf’s part Xander came to a halt again,

“And nothing I say can make you go away?”

Dale shook his head.

Xander had given up, it’s easier to ignore than to force along he figured. Eventually the trees broke and a town lay before them.

“I could go for a drink… Dale… go find a tavern.”

Dale looked pleased. “I know this town well; I can guide you to the best tavern.”

‘Damn it, I hoped to lose him’ Xander thought to himself.

It didn’t take long before they had reached the building, Xander approached the bar and ordered a hard drink, while Dale took the seat next to him and ordered a fey wine. The tavern wasn’t too active. It was still too early in the day for most drinkers.

The drinks came and Xander seem to be preoccupied with keeping his face forward to drink in excess. Dale on the other hand was looking all about and drinking his wine. He began to nudge at his friend.

“Xander… pst… Xander…” he nudged a little hard till Xander caved and acknowledged, Dale then whispered to him, “There is a figure in the corner that hasn’t stopped staring at us.”

“I know… I smelt her the moment I entered the place… I should have walked right back out while I had the chance. She’s the only person in the world I know that wears that kind of perfume. If I simple…” before Xander could even finish his sentence Dale stood and yelled out.

“Hey! Hey you in the corner! Come on over here!”

“You idiot!” Xander said as he began to try and hide his face.

The figure approached the bar and let down her hood, revealing a beautiful woman with blue eyes and brown hair. She stood 4 inches taller than Dale.

“Xander, how are you love?” She said sweetly.

“Why do you insist on bothering me Elly?” Xander said.

“Not Elly! Eliza!” she yelled angrily.

“Hello Eliza, my name’s Dale” the elf said as he extended a hand of greeting.

“She doesn’t care, she only cares about herself.” Xander noted as he stood up and began for the tavern exit.

Eliza stated as she followed him, “That’s not true, I care about many things.”

“Yeah… how your doing how much money you have, how you can get out of work, simply put… yourself.” The man muttered as he tried to escape her. “Time to move on” he growled as Dale and Eliza catch up to him against his will.

“Aww… why did we have to leave the tavern so soon Xandy.” Eliza whined.

“We didn’t have to leave, you could have stayed behind. Hell, I left to get away from you.” Xander bluntly said.

“What’s the matter Xandy, you don’t want to spend any time with me?” Eliza asked innocently.

“You are finally catching on, I can’t stand to be around you” He answered. The trio walked right out of town and into another forest.

“Why the tension between you two?” Dale asked. His face showed just how clueless he was on the matter.

Xander walked on a moment, and then stopped. “Well princess, you going to answer the elf?” He prodded.

“Don’t call me that! It’s Eliza!” she screamed.

“Well which is it? Princess Eliza Freiborn, or Elly?” He began to work his way under her skin.

Dale in utter confusion only tried to understand what was going on. “Princess? You’re a princess?”

Eliza walked up to and came face to face with Xander. “You know what Xander? You are such an asshole. I don’t know why I bother”

Xander responded quickly, trying to hide his anger, “I wonder why your highness bothers with us peasant folk either; I always knew you were a snooty bitch.”

Eliza was furious, and tears began to stream. She quickly wiped them away and walked over the Dale, taking one of his arms in her embrace.

“Well you know what? Who needs you, I have Dale now.” She pulled his face to hers and kissed him passionately.

Xander in a fit of rage stormed off. Dale in utter shock fell back a bit,

“What the hell was that about?” he asked, Eliza smiled an innocent smile and quickly replied.

“He loves me”

Dale looked to her, “and you him?”

She laughed a forced laugh, “Me? Nah, I could never love a big Ox like him”

Dale grinned a knowing grin, “you can’t fool an elf that easily.”

Xander stopped in the forest and looked around. He slammed his fist into a near by tree, cracking the trunk,

“Damn I can’t stand that woman! She drives me nuts!” soon there was movement around, in his loud rage.

Xander hadn’t seen the Behir that was sleeping around the next tree. Its long snake like body began to uncoil, and its many legs stretched out and lifted off the ground. The beast’s draconic head lifted high into the air and turned to focus on the one that disturbed its slumber. The angry creature began to charge Xander,

“Just what I need, stress relevant”.

Xander reached behind him, pulling out his large double bit battle-axe from its harness. His position was a defensive one; he wanted the beast to make the first move. He saw the creature turn to the side. The force of the turn traveled down its tail, which upon making contact with Xander, tossed him into the nearest tree with such force that the tree began to topple over. He coughed out a bit of blood.

Dale and Eliza sat on a near by rock waiting for Xander to return, Dale was the first to speak up,

“You sure he’s coming back?”

She looked at him, “Yeah… if anything else, just to cuss me out.”

A moment passed then Dale stood up, “Did you hear that?”

“Hear what?” Eliza inquired.

Dale tried to focus his hearing, “Sounded like a falling tree.”

Xander was in a pure, uncontrollable rage. He ran up to the Behir and slashed one of its many legs off. It quickly shook off the loss a single leg among many and head butted Xander into a large rock. Blood dripped down his head. He took his axe, and threw it as if a hatchet. The massive weapon made its mark and smashed right between the eyes. The creature threw its head back and roared in pain.

“Now I know you had to have heard that” Dale said as he looked at her with concern. Eliza began to walk in the direction of the roar,

“Didn’t Xander go that way? Dale! We have to help him!” The two began to run deeper into the forest.

Xander yelled out in a fit of rage and charged the massive reptile. In the blink of an eye, the creature swooped down its mouth and engulfed the man. Xander kicked out two teeth on the lower row and used there space to stand, he then forced the creature’s mouth open, stood tall, and broke it’s jaw.

He fell to the ground, and quickly rolled to avoid its head which fell soon behind him. The moment he was on his feet, once more he leaped for his axe, which was still implanted in the creature. Xander hung on as it thrashed about violently. The axe came loose and Xander flew off. The beast looked around a moment. It was panicked… it turned its head and before it could react, it saw Xander coming up towards its face. As the blood drained from its head, the last thing the Behir saw was its neck and body twitching before it was ultimately dead.

Xander stood there a moment, and then fell to his knees. His body was soaked in blood. He fell to the ground unconscious as Dale and Eliza came into the clearing. Eliza ran to him, taking him into her arms, unconcerned about the blood staining her own clothing. She checked his wounds,

“Xander! Are you alright? Xander!” She looked to the elf, “Dale! Help me find a stream to clean him.”

Xander’s eyes opened a moment, trying to focus on the figure before him,

“Elly?”

She looked down to him, “It’s alright Xander, rest” she placed her fingers across his eyelids and closed them.

The two pulled Xander to a stream and undressed him. Dale washed his clothes while Elly washed his body of the blood and tended to his wounds. As night fell Xander’s eyes slowly and unwillingly opened. He looked around,

“So she left…”

Dale looked up and over to Xander from the rock he sat upon, “You’re awake… I’m so glad. Eliza? No, she went to get some water, she’ll be back soon.”

He paused a moment, “You know… she didn’t leave your side the whole day…”

Xander turned to his side, “She probably didn’t want to lose her plaything.”

Dale looked on a tad puzzled then began to speak, “She’s really a…” He was interrupted.

Elly came through the brush, “How is he Dale?”

The elf looked to her and replied, “He’s awake now.”

Just at the moment Xander began snoring.

She smirked a little, “I know that snore Xander Tidus Elron, and you’re not asleep.”

He turned over and opened his eyes. “Damn it… we really have been traveling together for to long…”

Xander sat up groaning a little as he did, “So what happened?”

Dale looked on in confusion, “You mean you don’t remember?”

Xander shook his head slightly, “I remember going after a creature… then seeing Elly over me” Xander replied.

Eliza intervened, “You see Dale, Xander here is what we like to call… a berserker. When he becomes incredibly angry with his opponent, he loses control until his enemy is dead. He will fight and fight till it has been accomplished. After that foe has been killed, he blacks out and wakes up not knowing what happened”

“Gee… that sounds like a harsh life” Dale says as he lay down, “Well I’m going to sleep, good night.”

“Good night Dale” Elly replied. Elly soon followed Dale’s example.

Xander rested for a while but was unable to sleep. He eventually got up and walked off from the camp. He walked through the forest for a short while till he found an inverted tree trunk half way out over a small lake.

The large man walked out on it and took a seat on the wide log. He muttered to himself as he broke pieces of bark off the log and tossed them into the water.

He sighed and said, “So where are the Gods going to take me next… I think I’ll travel north come sunrise.”

Behind him a familiar voice answered back, “I’m surprised you would wait till sunrise.”

Xander didn’t even turn as the figure came walking up the trunk, “Well it’s not like I can get away from you or anything, besides I’m too injured to leave right now.”

Elly placed herself next to him, resting her head on Xander’s arm, “So who is the elf anyways?”

He gazed out to the reflection of the moon in the lake, “Someone that wants to follow me around, that’s all I can figure out, it’s not like I talk to him or anything”

“You plan on leaving him there?” Elly asked.

“Nah… he would be eaten alive, I have yet to see any fighting ability out of him.” Xander pulled another piece of bark off and tossed it into the lake. “

He strikes me as an odd one, not like most other elves I have ever met” Eliza calmly said.

He looked to her; “Yeah… he’s annoying as hell”

She laughed slightly and stood up, “I think it’s about time we get some sleep, both of us.”

“Eh… I guess” Xander replied.

As the two stood up, the trunk began to crack,

“Ah shit” Xander proclaimed before they both plummet into the lake below.

Xander came up first then Elly, both of them gasping for air and coughing.

“Well that was fun...” Eliza said snidely.

The couple waded there way to shore and stepped out onto the land. Xander took Elly into his embrace and spoke softly,

“Don’t think anything funny… you just looked cold, that’s all”

“Th-thanks…” she said, a slight blush on her face.

A moment of utter silence passed beyond the night’s usually serenade.

Elly broke the silence, “Xander? Why didn’t things ever work out between us?”

Again there was another pause.

Xander came out and said it, “Because we get on each others nerves so damn badly.”

She looked to him, “That’s no excuse!”

there was no response…

“Lets… Let’s get going… we had better sleep… oh… and Xander?” He looked down to meet her gaze, only to meet with a soft kiss on his lips.

In the distance, a third party watched the two, till they broke and moved back to camp.
Last edited by Masteroftheweb on Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
WildCard
Not-A-Deserter

Post by WildCard » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:49 am

very good story will, work on the spelling errors though. also, would you please kill off dale???? he's a total fripping moron.
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:42 pm

good piece of work, and no, dont kill dale, elfs are ment to anoy the rest of the party, then hell start feeling useless, and volounteer for something really dangerous, have to prove himself, get attacked by a ruby dragon, the ruby dragon will die of a heart attack at seeing his foe, then the rest of the party will praise the elf and fear him a little cos he single handedly took down a ruby dragon :D
Maverick512000
Civillian

Post by Maverick512000 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:36 pm

See told you it was a good story, and once again I was right. Nicely done man.
Drayton
Enforcer

Post by Drayton » Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:21 am

B) Yeah, Its good except the spelling errors and some words are spell right but dont belong there. So before you post read over it and dont worry about the Elf guy he adds a good element to the story. Story can use a Rick type character even though he isnt anywhere as cool as Rick but still.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:14 pm

Very fast paced, hard to make out the dialogue when it's all together .. like it is. it's a nice tale

Dude, never use number as digits in a story, 'the 2 people' is really annoying 'the two people' ... is it so hard?
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:21 pm

it is when your drunk
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:02 am

and you cant use words like cuss......its s tale right?.....i doubt elfs and such would ever use american slang

but fuck that all the same..i really fucking enjoyed reading that

i think you should follow mike and nik.....kill the little shit...but make the dragon eat him
Last edited by Matt on Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:15 am

I scanned over it carefully, got most of the errors I saw, converted all the numerals into words, and re-worded some things

and as for the "cuss" thing... you have no idea when this story is taking place, nor were it's taking place... so the words is in their vocabulary obviously, because Elly said it.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:57 pm

your spacing was annoying the piss outta me so I fixed it

a rush job could still do with a double space between text and dialogue. Bah, it'll do. few small changes of phrasing, as well, while i was at it.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:05 pm

what phrasing exactly did you change?
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:20 am

minor shit, I used the words you did, just moved them around a bit, changed past to present tense once or twice.
Last edited by Mik on Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:41 am

not grinning, groaning... he's hurt

I'm glad I finally read over this, I don't care for a few changes you made
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:57 am

they made it easier to read. but whatever you're the boss.