Suikoden

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:42 pm

Something that Final Fantasy never offered (until recently... and a bad job they are doing at it too) was continuation.

The best part about Suikoden is that it has a story spanning 3 American games, and more in Japan. There are timelines for these games, family histories, and geographical location.

You don't get the full story in one game, but a piece that is a major conflict.

I really like it.

For information about it (time lines and all that) try this page
Massacre
Solider

Post by Massacre » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:44 am

IMO the Chrono series had the best story ever although i cant compare it to this because ive never played any of these games however i have heard good things.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:55 pm

It slipped under the RPG radar, alot of people had no idea it exist

but as a gaming magazine put it "they're paying for it now... just try and find a copy of the game on e-bay for less than 100 dollars"

the 3rd wasn't that great, but the 1st and 2nd... damn...

shit... the 2nd is my fave game of all to this point in time.
Onisama
Whelp

Post by Onisama » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:27 am

i remember, vaguely, my brother playing this.
can't say i remember it much, but he still goes on about how great it is
AK47
Scavenger

Post by AK47 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:21 am

This is probably my favorite series as a whole. Suikoden II and III were awesome. The first was very good, but I just liked II and III a little more. I can't wait for Suikoden IV to come out. Oh, it should be grand.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:55 pm

I can't agree on Suikdoen III being great, but it was alright.

Suikoden II is my all time fave though
AK47
Scavenger

Post by AK47 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:24 am

I didn't think Suikoden III was better than II, but I found it better than the first. I still think they're all good games. Ship battles better be cool.
Last edited by AK47 on Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:43 am

I think 1 was deffinatly better than 3, I liked the connections that existed, and they just barely exist in 3.

the only thing that got on my nerves with 1 is that you needed that elf to be able to run
Nosferatu
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Nosferatu » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:20 pm

i could never play three since my brother owns the ps2, but the trinity story thing didn't look that great to me.

i really liked the first two though, although i never did get all 108 stars in the first one, i've been meaning to replay it. it's my favorite series of all time, don't know about favorite game, i still love castlevania symphony of the night too much to just set it aside.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:56 am

any good links then....it sounds good
Maverick512000
Civillian

Post by Maverick512000 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:04 am

Suikoden should be the RPG by which all others are judged. Square has never really made a game that can go toe to toe with this series. Sure some people talk about FFVII, others like VIII, and so forth, but nobody can say they liked all the FF games in the series. Suikoden has had 3 games, the first 2 of which are possibly the greatest RPG's ever made. 3 was lacking when compared to the first 2 but was still damn good when compared to alot of other RPGs. With out a doubt Suikoden 1 is and always will be my fav. game if for no other reason than the Souleater. Which is the best Rune of them all.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:10 pm

While actually half true, Final Fantasy has begun a continuation of stories somewhat. Look at the world of Ivalice. It exists in Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, and now Final Fantasy XII. Same world, same locations, and a handful of other things that you could link to previous games. If you ask me, sounds like a good place for SquareEnix to start linking together FF games.

Suikoden III was still an enjoyable game . . . actually better than most RPGs out there on the PS2 besides the point it was the low point of the series.

Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross also did an awesome job of tying the worlds together. You'd have to play the Chronicles version on the PSOne, but it fits PERFECTLY with Chrono Cross, and Lavos is even in Chrono Cross along with Marle, Chrono, and Lucca!
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:06 pm

not many people know it but Ivalice is also the setting for Vagrant Story aswell.
they dont directly say it, but theirs more than enuff supporting facts, with the biggest being the contenint it takes place on.
Last edited by kaos on Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.