Jaina Proudmoore: The Tides of War

You remember them, they are those things that cavemen used before they invented fire and iPads.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Jaina Proudmoore: The Tides of War

Post by Mik » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:26 am

By Christie (the not shit one) Golden.

I read this today, took about 7 hours or so, it's not a big book, plus it's a World of Warcraft tie-in novel so really they aren't hard tomes to digest.

Usually the books from the Alliance perspective bore the tits off me, I'm and probably always will be a Horde Fan boi.

These books are always weird, because they come out before the expansion but BETA has been out for at least 6 months so ... MMO-Champ datamined the destruction of Theramore an Jaina's new white haired model, a long ass time ago. They even had the audio files of the dungeon(scenario, whatever) ages before it was even opened up for testing never mind live (which happens next week).

So the book has to live in the gaps of our knowledge and what we see in game, which sounds boring and extremely hard. I think it does a pretty good job of making it entertaining. It's always quite weird in the game why there are all these heroes that just never appear or do anything. In game in was 2 years before Thrall/Go'el even left Grommash Hold, and even that was just to dander to the Orc Homeworld, say hi and then go home.

Obviously, the books have a limited character make up too and there are several that don't appear but they do a good job of bringing together quite a lot. There is quite a large chunk that's dedicated to the moderate elements in the Horde that are increasingly disturbed by Garrosh's increasing stupidity and madness. Baine and Vo'jin get loads of 'screen time' which is awesome because they are both characters that interest me.

I think Garrosh is just a fucking retarded character, he's now and almost cartoonish badguy they had to invent a new Blackrock Clan lackey that he hacks around, that served under Rend, just so you know he's really evil. There is just massive mood whiplash from how we first saw him. Here's a rough time line;

TBC: Nagrand - Emo about never joining in the great war and being shit on by the Fel-orc's for being in a weak clan that never joined the invasion. Ashamed of his Father, who cursed all orc's by drinking the demon blood of Mannoroth.

Then Thrall comes and tells him all about his dad, Grom and how in the end he gave his life to defeat the Pit Lord and free'd all the orc's from the madness, he died a hero of the Horde. (This was cool Click here to view the YouTube video. Click here again to hide it.
)

Wotlk: Ogrimmar/ Borean Tundra/ Icecrown: hot headed overconfident young orc that is headstrong but inspires his trooops.

Cata: Orgrimar? loads of places/
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Re: Jaina Proudmoore: The Tides of War

Post by Melana » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:02 am

how the fuck did you get it? Wait...ebook or physical book?

MARHGALSJKFSDJFASDLFAHSFOHODFG so annoyed.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:58 pm

ebook, yo.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:21 pm

I've heard alot of about what the book entails... and I'm not impressed.

It just sounds stupid.

Also... spoiler alert... why the fuck do they keep trying to hook Kaligos with EVER FUCKING THING WITH TITS?!

He's fucking engaged to Tryigosa

Edit:?

Whom is NOT Tarecgosa... and is alive and well. Everyone seems to confuse the two.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:32 am

I think they are obessed because he takes human form a fair bit which is like 'unusual'.

Still haven't read it. I can't download it anywhere. I'm sad and I purchased the last few in hard cover and I really can't justify $50 on this one.

Next book is meant to be about Vol'jin.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:31 am

Yeah, I just read that Vol'jin is the next book subject, pretty sure it was in a blue post the other day ... GET THE .. FUCK .. IN!

He be giving it the mad voodoo 'mon, best bits of the last book were him and Baine. Hopefully Baine features heavily in the future patches of the game, he's one of the major figures in the Horde faction that will be siding against Garrosh come 5.3. Sunstrider and Sillybananas showed their dissent to Garrosh, in Tides of War, by not showing up to the muster of arms, instead sending subordinates to lead their forces. But they didn't rock the boat nearly as much as Baine and to a lesser extent, Vol'jin. Baine makes it crystal clear, if there is a Theramore 2.0, he's out, and vol'jin is only staying quieter cause he lives next door to Orgimmar.

Kalec is basically the new Krasus, he's the relatable dragon, for all their care of the world of Azeroth, Alex and the rest tend to be very stand offish, Wrathion maybe be like either in the end, since getting rid of the Aspect power in 4.3, the dragons are kind of pointless, they need one of them to interact with the world at large (wraithion does this again in game in Pandaria, he's to do with the new legendary, again. Whereas Kalec appears more in books).

He's relationship with Jaina is just weird, I can't see how that'll work considering he's gonna outlive her by a considerable margin.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Tryigosa is actually in love with a human as well, but she doesn't pursue it because.... reasons...

I'm pretty sure it's because he's going to outlive her and she's already engaged... which the guy wouldn't touch since he's a fallen paladin whom just regained his powers.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:18 pm

How would a paladin outlive a dragon ?

Paladins are imba but they're still very much mortal, dragon's seem to last till they get stabbed.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:03 am

I means she's going to outlive him, but whateves.