Dark Knight Rises (2012)

The Silver screen, direct to dvd, web only, movie reviews and discussion.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Re: Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Post by Chewi » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:23 am

I saw Avatar for the first time the other day. It blatantly is Pocahontas in space but I still thought it was very good for a mass-market title. Much better than I expected.

As for 3D, I've only seen Alice and I think we saw Thor in 3D as well? Thor was just shit in general and no amount of 3D could make up for that. Alice was better but I don't think the 3D added much. It still feels too much like a novelty. I'm yet to be convinced.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:57 am

I watched in 3d, don't really get the point, mostly it's just random bullshit going on in the background, or sometimes the foreground.

It's fine for movies like Avatar which is glorified tech demo/ proof of concept with a story stapled on.

It's a crutch for bullshit movies that have no substance, but it could also be a great boon to a movie that was already good, I don't really care if I see another 3D in my life but I'd see one if it was decent movie and I felt it might add something.

A Mechwarrior 3D movie for example would be the tits, I'd happily watch the shit out of that.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Thor was good.

Never actually saw anything in 3D myself. Never really wanted to.
Not to mention tickets are like 2.5 times the price of a normal one.
Seems like it would just constantly distract from the film actual itself.

Also 3D at home, via some expensive TV set, seems pretty ridiculous.

Lets all drop 3D and invest in smell-o-vision.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:40 am

I wouldnt say 3D tvs are expensive, well not here. My dad got one the other day for £500 it was a 42" which i think is good i paid £1400 for a 46" but its a big Sony LED and only got it cause i couldnt get the samsung for cheaper.

To me Avatar was ok , not special. It was a big tech demo. I usually like awful scifi movies but couldnt get in to it at all. Loved Thor tho cant wait for the next one :D
Wulf
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Wulf » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:43 am

I don't really get the point in 3d, seems a bit gimmicky to me, everything is way overemphasised and ruins the immersion of the movie for me. Shit does not stick out like that when I look around a things in the real world, especially a fucking coffee cup on the table. :lol:
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:08 am

Mik is wasn't shit, but I didn't find it as fulfilling as it could of been. I enjoyed the second more.

I think my main problem with the movie was Bane and his voice and he didn't really feel like a compelling villian alot of the time. In the sewers yes, out of the sewers no. I enjoyed catwoman, dick greyson or whatever his name was.

It's a long movie, I didn't get bored, but I felt the time go buy in places. I didn't find the whole social chaos thing really worked much either. I thought the menace that the Joker created in the second film was much more poignant.

For me it went 2,1,3.

You may kill me now.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:50 pm

let him who didn't think banes voice and character was ridiculous from the first few trailers cast the first stone.
Thats how I felt at least. I'll wait for the DVD rental. but personally I thought the trailers were pretty awful, so I never considered going to the theater for it.

may even bootleg it for spite.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:41 pm

There are flaws within the movie and there are certain things, I would change if I could but I respect the reasons behind them, my own order in preference is 1>3>2 but it's a bit like arguing over your favourite chipmunk or power ranger, the difference is marginal.

For me Nolan is almost an impossible act to follow, I'd both love and hate to be the guy to take the reins after him, because Batman had had a long rest before he picked it up and expectations were at an all time low.

The wasn't enough Batman for my liking it was nearly an hour before he suits up and there alot of magic hand waving over elements they went out of their way to establish. He's getting old, his body is fucked, he gets his back broken a few hundred push ups later he's right as rain.

I feel like we never fully got to see batman in all his glory, Begins was his shaky start, TDK was his first massive test and TDKR was his decline. I feel we could have seen more from him. It's pretty clear from the sub text that Gotham didn't need Batman at the start of TDKR but they could have really done with a Bruce Wayne, but he just wasn't interested.

Whatever it's flaws, there was no fucking rubber nipples.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:00 am

Actually that bothered me a fair bit. He's body is all worn out to fuck and probably the best hospital in Gotham is telling Bruce Wayne he's body is fucked....then he's in some shit hole and suddenly VOILA OMG I'm 100% better than I was before I was in the shithole.

I was like...ummm.... no
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:32 am

Well in the comics, the Lazarus pit (where he was) has the power to bring you back from the dead nevermind cure the sniffles that is a broken back and some shot knees. But the whole series has dismissed the supernatural elements for a more realistic tone, so I guess that can't count.

It's odd though, because it's insinuated in the movie that the last night anyone saw Batman was the night Dent died, which means he had to have quit doing damage to himself at that point, I don't understand how 7 years later he's so fucked if he was basically fine at that time and has been on the bench the whole time.

I think the next batman needs to focus on the bruce wayne/ batman balance more, bruce wayne is the truly masked one, I didn't think they explored that enough,
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:35 am

It's not that the damage wasn't there, it merely caught to him after 7 years of inactivity.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:25 am

The way I understood it. The events of #2 happen, batman is villified and harvey dent is made a hero, harvey dent act etc. Batman goes into retirement. Bruce wayne becomes a recluse. Bruce Wayne was no spring chicken when he put on the mask, age caught up with him and the beating he took. instead of running away and being irresponible regarding his company he is sitting home in his dusty mansion being irresponsible.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:59 am

He was in his early thirties max by TDK.

He was in college in the week or so leading up to his original disappearance, so he was ~28 and TDK was set about a year or so after.

In his physical prime, I think we're lead to believe the fall with dent did the majority of the damage.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:23 pm

Not usually the one to say this, but the Nolan movies suck a fair bit. Give me soemthing written by the Comic/Animated series crew. Paul Dini and the likes.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:22 pm

I like the animated movies as much as the next guy but I don't think they'd be as successful or as good as the Nolan movies have been, there isn't as much depth there is something that just doesn't carry over.

It'll take a while before they are bettered, I don't think you'll fully appreciate it till something much worse is made, like the Burton movies in hindsight were excellent, after the Schumacher movies came out.