Android + Custom = What do you use?

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Re: Android + Custom = What do you use?

Post by Matt » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Yeah, I had something very similar on my HTC Desire :D There was Data2EXT and INT2EXT. That was on an RSK ROM I used for the Desire for Jo (since I got my Galaxy S3 I gave her the HTC Desire, now she has a Galaxy S3 :D). I also had fun with data++ hboot partitions!

I have a Class 10 UHS-1 32GB card (was £20 from Play.com) which is quite nifty.

I also figured out a Linux solution to my Android problem. My problem was all my games get installed to the internal and there is NO way to move the data to the external SD card. So, the 12GB internal was quickly getting full with 1GB+ games. The solution? Mounting :D "mount bind -o blah blah" was the solution, but I had to do this on every boot. Then I found "directorybind" which does it all for me and means I don't have to mess with init.d scripting.

Anyway, yes, technical level you say? Does it not just change the fstab to mount the internal on the EXT4 parttition? :D I think they've all worked like that prior but I can't say for sure (data2ext, apps2sd, etc).
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:06 pm

Cheeky cunt. :lol: I know you're not just rewording what I said because you threw in extras that actually made sense. I'd say I taught you well but the truth is I didn't teach you shit. Respect.

I made sure to get a Class 10. 16GB. I didn't think I'd fill that up in a hurry but I have more music than I thought I did. It'll do though.

If you want to be anal about it, it doesn't change /etc/fstab as such. That file doesn't exist on Android and even on Linux, it's still static. A dynamically updated copy is kept at /etc/mtab but that isn't authoritative either. The real deal is found in /proc/mounts and you'll find this on both systems. Everything under /proc is generated by the kernel on the fly. They're not real files. Same goes for /sys.

I'm not sure exactly how the earlier scripts worked but I think INT2EXT is the first one to actually mount the SD card at /data itself. I don't think you can unmount /data once Android has started booting so the script uses mount --move to remount the internal partition somewhere else first. The other scripts kept /data as it is but used symlinks to point to the SD card in another directory. Symlinks had their limitations and they also slowed things down so INT2EXT is better. You shouldn't have any trouble with your games if you use INT2EXT. The phone actually reports my internal memory as being 2GB even though it's only 300MB in reality.

I've just noticed a problem with my music on ext actually. Even when the music app is paused in the background, it holds onto the music file, preventing the umount from working. There doesn't seem to be any way of "stopping" the music and I was only able to umount by killing the mediaserver process. I shall investigate further.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:55 pm

Hmm, you could just half the SD card into a FAT32 and EXT4 partition? Keeping the music on the FAT32 partition? That's how I've always had them on the Desire. I usually had 13GB Fat32 and then 1.5GB EXT4.

Yeah I've been bashing away at Linux trying to get my head around everything. I made myself a nice looking conky script a while back that I was dead impressed with and even worked around some issues it has with transparency and XFCE :D

You didn't teach me, per se, but you were in the back of my mind the entire time! I figured if I wanted to be a programmer then I really needed to start getting to grips with it!

And the problem with the Galaxy S3 is it has 16GB on board, which you get around 12GB of that to use for your storage (the rest is for system, preload, and some other crap). That is mounted as "sdcard" and any actual microSD card you insert gets mounted as /mnt/extSdCard/. Then, the OS will not allow you to move data2SD like you used to be able to do. Under apps like "Titanium Backup" there's "Internal, SDCard and EXT SDCard" with Internal and SDcard reading identical.

There was a script I found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1772234 that does a swapsie by running this init.d script on every boot:

Code: Select all

sleep 2
mount -o remount,rw /
mount -t vfat -o umask=0000 /dev/block/vold/179:49 /mnt/sdcard
mount -o bind /data/media /mnt/extSdCard
BUT, it messed with the camera and made it so the camera would only save to internal and any pictures would get lost entirely if you tried to save to external (which was really weird, because at this point the internal is the external and vise versa, so you'd think it'd be able to save to the on-board memory regardless) So I abandoned that in favour of the DirectoryBind apk: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1410262

You might be able to help me, actually. I want to make it so that the music folder on the internal SD is symlinked to the extSdCard! This is because the WinAMP wireless sync sends anything you sync there and gives no choice to choose where it goes and I have all my music on the external SD. You can't symlink fodlers on FATA32, I know this much, so I tried directorybind, but whenever i mount /sdcard/Music/ to /mnt/extSdCard/Music and sync, nothing shows. If I remove the bind, the music shows back up in /sdcard/Music/. I think /data/media/ was messing things up.

^ Nevermind, I had to change a setting that let me force it to mount to data/media/music :D works fine now!
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:24 am

My HTC One XL is running stock Telstra ROM.

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA i'm crazy. Actually i'm waiting for a JB rom to come out.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:27 am

Ya'll be speaking dutch to me, I just have a phone, it answers calls and shit, ocassionally I even answer a few work emails.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:18 am

yep.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:05 am

I was wondering what browser you guys where using on your phones atm. I'm just using stock but i'm intrigued with whats out there wondering if there is anything significantly better.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:58 am

I'd rather shoot myself than use my phone for internet, maybe that's just cause the blackberry browser is fucking dire but it's always so slow and I have PC's all around me.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:14 am

I used to use Opera Mobile on mine as its just as powerful as the desktop version and features Opera Turbo, which recompresses the content and delivers it via Opera's own servers. This is usually much faster than going direct. However, I recently switched to Opera Mini, which is designed for old/slow phones. I used to run it on my crappy old feature phone! Even on a smart phone though, it's much faster, and less prone to crashes. It doesn't do much rendering by itself as the heavy lifting is done by Opera's servers as part of the Opera Turbo feature. Even JavaScript is executed remotely. It feels dirty but it works really well.

I say all this as a heavy mobile browser user because I have a long commute into work and I spend most of that time reading my RSS feeds and the news headlines (Android's "News & Weather" app).
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:17 am

Mik a few people at work are still BB uses and I've converted most of them to Android phones. The first reaction is to always go Apple iphone but I let them use my phone for a bit and most of them go Samsung/HTC.

Browsing is alot easier on a smart phone, that said I find it cumbersome posting on these forums because of resizing issues.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Opera automatically wraps all columns of text to fit the zoomed width of the display. I never even notice resizing issues because of that.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:56 pm

I use Chrome on my phone and since then started using it on my PC. Loads nice and quick and syncs with my desktop. You need an ICS ROM though to use it :( Firefox works ok on higher end devices, but still manages to be slightly clunky.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:54 pm

I needed it for work, but since we have free texts and shit now, the use of BBM has dramatically decreased, It's a long ass time till I get and upgrade but that Samsung Note intrigued me.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:56 pm

I was really close to getting a Samsung Galaxy Note, The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is due out fairly soon. You should have a look. What BB you got? BB Bold?

I'm surprised you wanted to go straight to Big screen phone. Most people you have to ween them on a small phone. People look at mine and go OMG your phone is big. I actually get surprised because I forget how big it is. Then i laugh at there pathetically puny iphone 4s.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:42 am

Yeah, Bold 9900 or something. It has a touchscreen that I never use, I'm a messy pup it would just be covered in thumb prints all the time.