Dr Who

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:40 pm

Have just recently been introduced to the new Dr Who series. Just finished series one with Chris Eccelston (?) as the doctor...which i really enjoyed. There is something very charismatic about that man.

On to series 2 at the moment... the new doctor is slowly growing on me...slowly.
I really didn't like Dr Who as a child...it scared me. But i can't really recall any of it from childhood.

So what does everyone think about...the doctor.
Tartan
Solider

Post by Tartan » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:14 pm

the one with the short hair?
i like David Tennant *purrrrzzz* :wub:
Last edited by Tartan on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:22 pm

I don't watch iot anymore now that Tate bitch is in it. She's not funny at all for one thing, and her acting is atrocious.

Though I do prefer David Tennant as the doc rather than Christopher Eccelston. But Billie Piper? Phwoar! Get me some!
Trigo
Solider

Post by Trigo » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:54 pm

I haven't watched any of the new dr who plan too soon once i get a hold of the 1st 3 sessions
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:17 am

Tennant is cute as a button, but that's it... really... i don't know i'm sure he'll grow on me
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:26 am

Suprisingly, he makes a real good Dr.Who.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:56 am

I hate the new Doctor. Far too quirky for me. I preferred Chris Eccleston and the new series died with him.
Shane
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Shane » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:18 am

it's ok if nothing else is on. not much of a tv person though, so i rarely watch it when i do. =/
Tartan
Solider

Post by Tartan » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:16 am

Melana wrote:Tennant is cute as a button, but that's it... really... i don't know i'm sure he'll grow on me
CUTE YEAH!
its the hair im sure of it!

matt ur a guy of course you think hes quricky

:E david tennant rocks! :E
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:45 am

I watch doctor who, but sometimes I'm disappointed with the writing. Some episodes are just really poor. David Tennant is a great actor, I'm sure he'll grow on you soon, it does take a little time when the doctor changes. Mostly what annoys me about the new series is Russel T Davies, he's gay and insists on pushing it into Doctor Who which is ultimately a kids show. I appreciate the rare gay character because it's important kids grow up understanding it's normal, but RTD has to make as many gay characters as he can especially in the latest series that's been on.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:55 pm

The show is so damn hard to come across here.
With torrents, I start downloading when I'm in the mood, but by the time its done, I've forgotten or just aint in the mood anymore.

Tennant the one I see most.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:26 pm

Me and Doctor Who (not Dr Who) go way back. One of my best friends at school was an absolute Doctor Who nut. He still is now. It was often shown on TV when I was a kid but I wasn't very good at remembering to watch each episode so I only saw the odd one here and there that way. But when I went to my friend's house, we would always sit through a whole series and then he'd lend me another one to watch at home. Back then, each series was centered around one monster/situation and each episode ended on a cliffhanger. It was Doctor Who that rid me of the preconception that anything in black and white must be boring. Tomb of the Cybermen was great. Very eerie. Over the years, I read a couple of books too. They were very good.

While at university, my friend (who by this time was already building his own daleks and such) invited me along to two conventions, Dimensions On Tyne 1 and 2. So-called because the first was held in Newcastle, which sits on the River Tyne, and the second was held in Stockton... which is in the same region as the River Tyne. Newcastle had proved too expensive but Dimension On Tees didn't work as a play on Dimensions In Time. :P I digress. What really strikes me, looking back on it now, is the total change in attitude towards the show. At that time, the BBC had done next to nothing with it since 1989, apart from the one-off feature-length special in 1996, starring Paul McGann. That was the only time the eighth Doctor ever appeared on-screen, which is a shame, because I thought he was quite good. He (or his character) did appear in novels, comic strips and audio stories but all of this was unofficial fan-made stuff. Even though the show had been popular with the general public in its day, this effort to keep it alive seemed to have an air of geekiness about it. Passers by probably had more of a "look at those freaks" kind of attitude than a "I'd still watch it" kind of attitude. There also seemed to be this underlying resentment of the BBC for not reviving it and for being a little heavy-handed in the treatment of fan-made material. That was 2003.

Fast-foward to 2005. When that first episode of the new series was aired, it seemed like Britain's attitude towards the show changed overnight. Suddenly, it was cool to like Doctor Who again. One thing I noticed in particular was the number of women who were taking an interest in it. In fact, I think I can name more women than men who watch it now. Then came Torchwood. I didn't realise they were connected at first. It was only when I heard the word Torchwood mentioned in a Doctor Who episode and "the right kind of doctor" mentioned in a Torchwood episode that I put two and two together. I think it's great how they've combined these two. I'm not sure about the whole Sarah Jane Smith thing but that is especially aimed at kids.

So you'd think I've been watching all the new stuff, right? Actually I haven't, save for the occasional one. I'm still useless at remembering to watch things. I have a system that can record each episode for me now but I just don't have the time to watch them. And I'd want to watch Torchwood as well, which doubles the problem. Maybe I'll get round to it one day. Marna was watching the last two episodes last night. I was reluctant because I didn't want to spoil it but it was hard to resist and I'd already heard about what happens at the end. It was great as always. :D

Oh and David Tennant? He's fantastic. I liked Eccleston too but Tennant is better.
Last edited by Chewi on Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:00 pm

kaos wrote:The show is so damn hard to come across here.
With torrents, I start downloading when I'm in the mood, but by the time its done, I've forgotten or just aint in the mood anymore.

Tennant the one I see most.

On thing I gotta say to you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/

Though I don't if you American folks, and Lesley, can access it. Should be able to though.

Plus am certain they have Dr. Who episodes on Utorrent?
Last edited by Squirrel on Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:32 pm

Unfortunately iPlayer is blocked off outside of Britain because it's only supposed to be available to license fee payers.
Last edited by Chewi on Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:42 pm

Morons ¬_¬ that's the one good thing that the BBC have brought out. Coz it means I can watch TV programmes without having to watch TV. But this is so typical of the BBC! To be honest I think we should just scrap the tv license. I don't think Australia nor America have tv licenseing there?