Gay

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:18 pm

Laguna, Squall's Dad you play him during The 'dream' sequences of like 20 years (?) before.

In terms of game mechaincs it is the premier (Action) RPG imo and it's battle system was/is beyond awesome giving customisation, complexity and speed.

I don't mind turn based stuff but lets face it it was a necessarily evil in 1985 and they haven't changed it THAT drastically since then, even high end MMO's are mostly just MUD's with shiny graphical ouput, Auto-Attacking and watching 15 minute long Summon sequences get old after a while.

If you miss in KH it's because YOU missed, if you dodge it's because YOU got the fuck out of the way that was refreshing compared to randomly generated miss rates (how the hell does Barret miss with a minigun at 10 feet anyway ?).

It was fast furious and with a pretty nifty story too, There is not a single down point in the game that isn't retarted.
*Dies from suffocation due to laughter.*
Yeah, I forgot the best RPG ever was HALO cause I CAN DUAL WIELD GUNZ LOLLERSNAKE!!!!PEWPEW!!!!1111!!
Last edited by Mik on Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:23 am

By making it an action, it's no longer really an RPG as it has evolved today. And as far as that is concerned, I think Jade empire was better than kingdom hearts... simply letting you interact int he action more doesn't wipe away a retarded concept with even more retarded characters.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:52 am

Have you actually played Jade Empire, this time or just more random PS2M opinons ?

I've never played it but I hate the colour green therefore it is the most shit game ever and the main characters are all into beastiality.

RPG

Role-Play Game

I hate use of the term action, but for the sake of gun monkeys you have to bring everything down to the lowest level. ARPG's to me, are regarded to be stuff like Tomb raider and Legacy of Kain and while I define an ARPG as something that you play a role without much background thought (stats, menu's, parties) the industry has a much weirder standards that are contradictory and confusing.

Kingdom Hearts is straight up RPG with some Action fusion, making it downright fun to play and your team mates are automated which makes it quite fun and you can customise it to suit your play style (Donald can just as easily be pure healer or pure dmg as a mix).

But ofcourse you can't see past the Disney characters cause that's for kids, right ?

Tbh, adult game players play ALOT of retarded-ass games (see: The Simms) that in my opinon aren't worth the CD's their printed on but these guys eat it up cause it's fun, so whatever.

At the end of the day Kingdom Hearts gameplay is fun fast and easy to understand (my brother completed it at age 8) but works on a majority of levels. Yes, the storyline is centered around childrens cartoon characters but it's a fucking good story and is well put together. Nomura made a success with a subject that everyone was like 'wtf ? disney ?' with and the popularity of it continues to grow whilst the popluarity of Squares other cash cow Final Fantasy is in decline.

The core of the game is awesome and if the 'engine' of the game was put to other material (of a more 'adult' nature) it would fucking rock.

Also,

There was nothing wrong with the Squall character either, like majority of males in the media, he has a fear of commiment, not surpising considering he was somewhat abadonned by his parents (Father estranged and Mother deceased). He joins the military at the age of 15 and it seems that everyone he gets close to ends up getting taken away.

His mother, His 'big sister', Edea (his alternate mother figure) it's a natural reponse to avoid pain, your hand will (unless you have some serious mental disorder or will agianst it) retract automatically from a burning surface without command. Having someone then losing them hurts, therefore getting 'close' to anyone is a bad idea as it only leads to more pain down the line.

Also at the time the story takes place the guy is 17-18 (I can't remember exact ages) he's not the most confident guy in the world, that is isolationist in nature and all of a sudden this pushy chick is all over him but in the background there is some shit going between her and this dickhead he hasn't liked for ages. Yeah, it's like flare of 'stay the fuck away from that' in your face. Also your teacher who is like 2 years older than you is after you but she might as well have 'DAMAGED GOODS' written on her forehead.

But I'm sure you where all samurai cocksman at age 18 with all your shit in gear and crazy chicks where fawning at your feet that you had no idea how to deal with given your poor relationships with everyone and anyone up until this point and you still banged them, so yeah he must be gay! THAT'S IT! HE'S A FAG! cause his realtionship with guys is clearly MUCH BETTER, that has nothing to do with the fact that they aren't hitting on him or anything and therefore are easier to deal with, bar Seifer who is a grade A dick.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:13 pm

Lastwolf wrote:Have you actually played Jade Empire, this time or just more random PS2M opinons ?
I NEVER get my opinions from a magazine, I always form my opinion with what I see. I would think you would know this by now.

And yes, I DID play jade empire... I didn't get to play too deep into it, but 4-6 hours was enough for my to solidify my opinion.
Lastwolf wrote:But ofcourse you can't see past the Disney characters cause that's for kids, right ?
Wrong! You should stop with the assumption making. I can't get past them because I don't LIKE them. Same as if it were the characters from "Angel" I wouldn't play it. Or if it were the characters from "Friends" or "DBZ". I've always hated Micky Mouse, donald duck, and most others, about the only one I didn't hate (but didn't really like) was Pluto. I also dislike many of the characters from other movies that are in the game. Whinnie the pooh... Don't get me started on that...

And you still fail to realize... when I call him a fag, it's funny. My hatred for him has nothing to do with his sexual orientation. I hate him because he's an emo whiney little bitch. His personality type, character model (I also hate the way he looks by the way, everything from his body to the clothes he's wearing) and weapon all suck. My dislike for something comes from multilple angles, I can look past one or maybe two flaws. But when it's something I completely dislike, I'm just going to hate it, nothing can be done.

And then we get to FF8 itself... where the battle system sucked, the story sucked, and the characters sucked... Which only furthers my hate for Squall... oh... I hate his name too...
Last edited by Masteroftheweb on Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:39 pm

Lastwolf wrote:I hate the colour green
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:22 pm

Bogey wrote:
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:44 pm

so basicly youre saying its yet another one of your opinions formed with no experience to base it on then. and again openinly refuse to get that experiince due to skewed prejudged ideas.

its the rap music thing all over again.
seriously
just make a list of things you hate but have no experience with, so we know not to waste the time debating about it.
youve already got 3 things to start you off.

and Joe
Green is great.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:09 pm

You can't say I have no experiance with it, because I obviously have SOME experiance with it in order to hate it. I can't hate what I know nothing about.

And it's your choice to argue with me about something when all I do is state my opinion, weither asked or not.

Debate is not the right word.

This will be a really long list, but I'll start..

I hate:

Modern pop culture
'stupid'

well shit... that about covers everything off the top of my head, I was going to go on to say music, TV, movies... but that's all covered in "modern pop culture". And 'stupid' covers everything else...

Edit:

Sorry, that's just a list of things I hate, I missed the part about hate with no experiance... here, a new list

Things I hate but have no experiance in:

Done
Last edited by Masteroftheweb on Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:36 am

I havent played it, but KH sucks, becuase it has characters i dont like in it.

I havent seen it, but ff7 AC sucks because some people who have seen it told me they dont like it.

I refuse to listen to rap music, but it sucks cuzz I have no shame in generalizing an entire genre of music and failing to realize that it has many sub genres of its own.

I havent experienced (insert random media), but it sucks, becuase I dont want to give it a fair shake.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:08 am

kaos wrote:I havent played it, but KH sucks, because I don't like anything I see about it, from watching someone else play to sceens, reviews, commercials, ect.
kaos wrote:I havent seen it, but ff7 AC sucks because it creates plot holes, and I also don't like the graphic medium they chose to use.
kaos wrote:I shutter everytime I hear rap because the beat grates on my nerves, and the lyrics in there rymning state annoy the fuck out of me. Not to mention the lyrics that I don't understand because they use words that don't exist, and I really don't have any shame in generalizing an entire genre of music
kaos wrote:I havent experienced (insert random media), and thus have nothing to say about it. I reserve judgement till I see something on it

Fixed
Last edited by Masteroftheweb on Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:37 am

bottom line still remains

you havent listend, played, or watched.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:08 am

Well... depends on what you're talking about actually.

But what you fail to understand, is that there are things in this world I don't like. And if something contains them, I'm not going to like said 'something'
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:39 am

*sigh*

There are things in this world that everyone hates, but they usually have reasons, yours seem to be entirely random because it suits your positon at the time.

You like a lot of anime, with retarded 'comedy' plot but some how KH's cell-shaded anime-ish style was soo offensive because it contains Donald Duck .. oooh sweet jesus NO .. Not THAT MONSTROSITY and story was rubbish because you read a review (8/10 Gamespot, 84% Gamespy, 9/10 IGN, 8/10 PSM, OPM 4.5/5, All time best game Famistu magazine 19. Kingdom Hearts (2002) Yeah clearly your reading what you want too read) .

Also the only problems with FF8's storyline was that it was written by japenese people and therefore had atypical 'anime' story problems (everything has to stay ambiguous until that last 10% of the story, therefore making some of the prevailing 90% annoyingly vague, silly plot twists and random rival that helps you in the end) something you should be used to by now, surely ?

I can't really be annoyed with the quote spam because it just leads to more quoted quote spam, but you did allude that the 'gay' was a stab at his (Squall) sexual orientation a coupla times and not just he's lame angle. Yet according to you Laguna (whom in early pre-press to the game was announced as a WOMAN), his father, is cool. Yes, the guy who gets retarded 'muscle cramps' in his leg everytime he talks to women and runs away from them several times and hangs out with primarly men ISNT 'gay' but his son who does fairly the same stuff but in a non-retarded way is. Since you don't state you've played game I can only assume your opinon on reviews and made up opinons based on the colours in a rainbow again, I'll check the numbers Gamespot 9.5/10, IGN 9/10, OPM 5/5, PSM 4/5, PSX Ex 10/10, All time best game Famistu magazine 22. Final Fantasy VIII (1999)

The Gunblade was an awesome concept and I think fairly well excuted, the 'battle' system is almost exactly the same as the prevailing 7 games.

I'll tell you what I hate, The claim that in EVERY game there is a NEW battle system.

No ... it's the same system, you just put a slighty different skin on it, it's still ATB, it's Still Attack Magic Skill and Item. In FF7 you got to fully customise you magical arsenal. In FF8 you are fully able to customise your magical spells (per character) AND additionally set up your characters stats with those spells, It's actually probably the most techincal FF at that time, to be replaced FFX which gave you the illusion of customisation but just got fucking irrating most of the time.

But the artwork wasn't Amano and all the character looked normal (no marshellow people) so probably wasn't up your alley. I tried to be a dick about FF9 for those reasons and not play it but tbh it's a good game, story is awful but it's fun to play and good in most aspects.

Yes, cause every main character has had a smart name

Cecil Harvey
Cloud Strife
Squall Leonheart
Terra Branford
Fighter
Last edited by Mik on Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:22 pm

Lastwolf wrote:I tried to be a dick about FF9 for those reasons and not play it but tbh it's a good game, story is awful but it's fun to play and good in most aspects.
I'm sorry, but are you defending FF8's story and in the same post saying that FF9's story is awful? I'd have to completely disagree with that. Atleast 9's plot had depth, aswell as decent character development. Different character backgrounds for each character might I add, not the same mundane background that for a rediculous plot device they had all "conveniently" forgotten about.

I don't want to change the discussion to the credibility of FF9, but there really is no contest when you pitch it against FF8.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:43 pm

yeah, I suppose your right but I found 9 fun but I just didnt get into the story much, whilst the character themselves where pretty cool, the central storyline didnt interest me that much.

On second thoughts I was far too harsh in my remarks on FF9s story as a whole, seems I got carried away with myself (a habit of mine) by that stage. Anyway, I dont have an accurate opinon on the whole story as my CD was scratched so although I completed the game Ive never seen the full ending only jumbles parts of it.
Last edited by Mik on Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.