Movies you seen Recently

The Silver screen, direct to dvd, web only, movie reviews and discussion.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Re: Movies you seen Recently

Post by Xanien » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:09 pm

Saw UP on Friday, LOVED it, watched Terminator Salvation the week before, liked it a lot, watched Star Trek the week before that and loved it, and I saw Speed Racer at a friends house finally. I actually liked that movie too. A little drawn out but better than what the critics gave it.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:26 pm

Hang 'em High, which was on Five last week. Classic Clint Eastwood, country and western movie. Loved it, even if some scenes were long and slow.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:38 pm

Spaghetti Western.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:48 pm

Public Enemies. Not bad, particularly for a true story. Mr Depp's performance was outstanding as usual. I felt that Christian Bale's fair performance was totally overshadowed by his horrendous accent. I later found out he used that accent for four months, even off-set. If someone in the know can tell me that the Texan accent really does sound like that, I'll take it back, but it didn't sound right to me.

Harry Potter. A little lacking in action but made up for it in humour. I liked it. It just felt a little unfinished at the end. Of course, there is one more film to go but I didn't feel they rounded this one off properly. Maybe that was intentional.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:02 am

Harry Potter was alright, felt more like a hollyoak eps, due to all u see is a couple at ever corner and window. And the whole will they wont they.

But theres not 1 more movie. They are spliting the last book in to 2 movies. 1st Part is somewhat Nov next year while the 2nd part is July 2011.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:04 pm

2001: A Space Odyssey.

Never seen it before. It's a whole lot of what the fuck with an extra heavy dose of what the FUCK at the end. But by god, it was beautiful. I can't believe that was made in 1968. It puts the modern stuff to shame. What it really managed to convey to me was the overbearing sense of loneliness and isolation, despite the frequent contact with Earth.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:17 pm

The Beach. Another film I recorded because it had been recommended to me once upon a time. Better than I expected. Leo wasn't as annoying as I expected either. This is probably one of his better roles. The bit where he goes crazy in the middle felt a bit out of place but that wasn't his fault.
Shane
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Shane » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:26 pm

Inglorious Basterds

absolutely an awesome movie.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:40 pm

Sunshine (2007)

I recently stumbled across the SoundTrack (thank's SST.com!) for this movie and I rewatched it, the score is amazing.

It's a weird film though that can't seem to make up it's mind, what Kind of film it's supposed to be, kinda goes into slasher mode in parts, but I really liked it. In a really annoying I can't put my finger on why, kind of way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1H4ZkgwhXw
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:41 pm

I agree, it was a bit all over the place, but I still liked it. I have a thing for lonely, deep-space, no-Earth-contact films though.
Tartan
Solider

Post by Tartan » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:51 pm

EchoPark wrote:Harry Potter was alright, felt more like a hollyoak eps, due to all u see is a couple at ever corner and window. And the whole will they wont they.

But theres not 1 more movie. They are spliting the last book in to 2 movies. 1st Part is somewhat Nov next year while the 2nd part is July 2011.
and each movie Voldys nose gets lesser and less!
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:13 pm

Sweeney Todd. I'm not usually a big fan of musicals but I loved this to bits. Even the songs. Really, really good. Depp was amazing as ever and I've always liked Helena Bonham Carter.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:27 pm

Finally got around to seeing Watchmen.

I'd been avoiding it because quite a few people I know gave me pretty negative reviews, and the one person that didn't was very undecided about how he felt about it.

After seeing it I can see why it got so many negative reviews.
its a long almost word for word, shot for shot translation of the Book.
For people who've read the book..theirs almost no surprises.

And for people who didn't read the book, which is probably most everyone. They were expecting the average hi-action super hero flick where a clear protagonist takes on unbelievable odds, and didn't get it...at all.
its like expecting X-men 2 and getting Memoirs of a Geisha instead. you're gonna be pissed.

Personally though, I liked it.
They did change the ending, and it made so much more sense than the books ending.
its a rare case where the film is better than the book.

The books ending features a very random giant mutant WTF squid thing as the doomsday device.
The movie ending is so much better and has no super randomized WTF qualities.
Trigo
Solider

Post by Trigo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:35 am

Watched the A team last was a great movie. Also watched How to train a Dragon great film i laughed out loud at bits and now want a night fury dragon >.<
emavatson

Post by emavatson » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:04 pm

Recently I watched The Last Airbender Movie and got it amazing with good effects along with wide ranging emotions of the movie . Grown ups was the another movie that I enjoyed form comedy .