Soul calibur 3

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:33 pm

currently a ps2 exclusive at the moment...but I wouldnt bother buying it right when it comes out if i was a ps2 owner.

the article

I gotta sneaking suspicion you'd be pissed off in a few months after when the next-gen version luaches and it has more extras.

nothing agains renting it tho.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:42 pm

I've only just started playing Soul Calibur 2!
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:23 pm

haha!

but its good tho right?
like sweet nectur for your parched throat.

Mmmm soul calibur 2.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:52 pm

Well I've never had a PS2 until now. It's my brother's game. I was playing Soul Blade way back in 1997 though. :D
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:19 pm

i actually never got around to playing that one.

just did some research on it, the evolution is amazing.

11 characters and sillyy graphics(but high quality back then)

Mitsurugi, Hwang, Sophitia, Siegfried, Taki, Voldo, Rock, Li Long, Sueng Mina, Han Myong, Cervantes

Soul calibur was actually a much bigger leap foward than I thought.
almost doubled the characters: 19

Mitsurugi, Hwang, Sophitia, Siegfried, Taki, Voldo, Rock, Maxi, Yoshimitsu, Ivy, Kilik, Xianghua, Nightmare, Astaroth, Lizard Man, Sueng Mina, Edge Master, Inferno, Cervantes

Soul calibur 2 I'd say was more for perfecting the characters. story and models.(just slightly tho)

25 characters...but -3 cuzz 3 of them dont actually count so 23.

Mitsurugi, Hong, Cassandra, Taki, Voldo, Maxi, Yoshimitsu, Ivy, Kilik, Xianghua, Nightmare, Astaroth, Lizard Man, Raphael, Talim, Charade, Heihachi, Spawn, Link, Necrid, Seung Mina, Sophitia, Cervantes, Berserker, Assassin

no as far as I've heard Soul Calibur is going to have a cast 25 without guests.

only speculation. but i guess its the cast of soul calibur 2 swapping assassin/hwang and berserker/rock + the 3 new guys.

from the video I saw, it looks like its going to be huge step forward too. but not graphicly. (that only gets another slight boost) looks like the step is in the direction of interactivity.

saw taki get kicked through a wood fence.
one of the levels I saw was pretty fucking huge with a marked pathway to follow.
I imagine the best was to explain it might be to say imagine the average size of small an fps single player level, and then imagine fighting in the level in 3rd person.

oh yeah, the character creation thing too...
I counted 15 points of customization from the video. including a second layer of clothing.

So common sense says sense you can create a character theirs probably an extra mode of play thrown in.

big steps
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:14 pm

and if they don't fucking PORT that thing to THE BOX i will personally go into Namco with an AK-47 and re staff the place.

online too right?
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:20 pm

it'll be on xbox2.
but not xbox1

online....NO

but when it gets to xbox2 that might change. I'm guessing with Live being they way it is it Definatly will.

matter of fact I heard a rumor that microsoft is requiring that Every game for Xbox2 is Live enabled in some way. even if its just like a small thing that only lets you mess with your friends list..

almost sent you a voice message...but i had no idea what to say or why.
Last edited by kaos on Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:01 am

This sound pretty great. Tho i did like Soul Blade. Much better than its completion i alway thought.

i heard the same about every game being on LIVE. I think its more to do with highscorces i think
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:02 am

One thing I didn't like about Soul Calibur 2 is how they made all the characters really annoying. My best character in Soul Blade was Seung Mina. She had a high-pitched asian voice and spoke in some weird language... but that was good. In Soul Calibur 2, they give her a fucking American accent and she says stupid crap like "That was too easy." And while the graphics in Soul Blade aren't so hot by today's standards, I actually prefer how Seung Mina looks in Soul Blade's FMVs to how she looks in Soul Calibur 2.

I tried to find some pics. Can't find any from Soul Blade itself but she looked kinda like this.

Now she looks like this.

Image Image

Blegh.
Last edited by Chewi on Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:37 am

I like the sould calibur 2 version myself.
would you rather her have a european accent?
hehehe

you can change all the voices back to japanese in the options screen. its actually a common issue with many people.

I'm probably one of the few that preffer the english voices. but youre absolutly right about the characters saying stupid stuff.

they say way too much for no reason at all and most of the one liners make no sense at all.

somtimes in the destined battles they say some relevent and decent things. but thats where it ends.

So i think what they really need to work on in the audio area is more story driven dialogue.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:24 am

I personally don't like alot of the american voice acting. Talim is actually my fave character and her voice and catch phrases almost make me want to sacrifice her to the enemy,.

I also agree with james on the seung mina thing
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:49 pm

Chances are she was saying something equally stupid in Japanese or whatever it was but at least I couldn't tell.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:30 pm

yaah. But im thinking its just a common thing fighting games.
street fighters been doing since the begining of time.
most people probably dont realize it cuzz its never really vocalized.

example

guile:
I came. I saw. I destroyed! Power. Skill. Strength. Period.

vega:
Only I understand the pain of being too strong and beautiful!

chun li:
I'm only doing my duty... please don't take it personal.

the problems in dialogue probably lie in that most fighting games have weak storylines if they even bother to have on at all.

what i thought about just now wich is a little odd, was that Mortal kombat has had some decent storylines.....and yet the characters simply do not speak.

To remedy the problem I think most games would simply have to work on a focused storyline and then make a small cutscene for each possible battle.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:02 pm

or the classic 'go home an be a family man' after EVERY battle

heh,

anyway,

yeah i found myself turning on the japanese voices on that game, the voiceovers were VERY annoying, more so then any other game i've played.

I wonder what they say in DOA though... it's always japanese only

it just amazes me that with all the advances in voice acting and the like, the characters still say such GARBAGE.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:04 pm

heh, "go home and be a family man" is a classic
especially after fighting chun li.