Two very interesting bits of news

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:56 pm

Old Skool FF fans will definatly want to check out this

for a console not known for it's RPG's this is a suprising move.

and speeking of RPGs, it appears there's a new genre in town. I could be wrong, seeing as how i haven't played the game, but here's how i see it

up until this point, there's been basicly two diferent schools of RPG thought. Japanese RPGs typicaly tell a story. They set you up with few character options and even fewer rabbit trail like tangents for you to go on. The are is typicaly 'anime' in nature, and the story usualy moves down one steady timeline. There are some deviants off the main path, but you always end up heading in the same direction. Think Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, and Breath of Fire.

American RPGs are a little different. They strive for open ended possibilities and intense character development. Realtime usualy takes presidence over turn based (although most games are actually truly turn based, just animated very well.) They usualy have one main hero, as opposed to a party, or team based approach, and usualy gameplay takes presidence over story. They also seem to incorporate, in whole or in part, a D&D approach to the general gaming environment. Think Baldor's Gate, The Elderscrolls games (Morrowind) Fable, and Knights of the Old Republic.

Well, it looks like Microsoft is looking at a blended (Chinese?) approach. This game looks like it just might be a pretty good mix of the two. Maybe it's not exactly a 'new genre' it looks to me like more of a blend of Kinghts of the Old Republic with some asian influence and extended character development, but still, it's definatly worth noting. I've read a few articles and, while i'm not going to pre-order it or anything, i'll probably give it a play when it comes out.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:27 pm

Kay, It's made by bioware those guys make a lot of games of and RPG nature, to me this is truely an A/ARPG.

to me and imo it's contempories are Prince of Persia, Legacy of Kain (the later games not Blood Omen) tomber raider and the like. Not FF, as FF is a true RPG game, I think the true difference likes in the fact that you have to build your character more in FF games leveling up and the like. Where as 'American' style games (as you put it) use accessoris to agument you.

Sakguchi going to XboX eh?

Isn't it handy that I just os happened to win an XboX in a competiton lat week :)
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:43 pm

I saw 'X-box' And didn't bother reading anything more.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:54 pm

Masteroftheweb wrote:I saw 'X-box' And didn't bother reading anything more.
A man of my mind, cept I actually read it.
Darkside
Enforcer

Post by Darkside » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:43 am

For some reason i have to agree with this guy. X-box isn't that great. the rpg's i've seen on the system didn't look that good.

Guildwars will destroy both them games. :D
Massacre
Solider

Post by Massacre » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:51 am

seconds it

xbox must die
St.Lucifer
Enforcer

Post by St.Lucifer » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:50 pm

a true legend turning to x-box
thats one way to kill your career all right
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:54 pm

friggin ps2 fanboys

I don't think you can really consider Tomb Raider a RPG. Most of the American ones do incorporate levels. I think the difference here is the 'adventure' type of game vs the 'rpg' type. I'd consider Tomb Raider, and even Legend of Zelda to be Adventure games, not RPG games

but i agree, this game is probably more of an 'american' rpg, then some new breed. Still though, it does look different in a few ways.

And those of you who say xbox has no rpgs are probably referring to Japanese style RPGs. in that aspect you're right, but xbox does have several RPG games, like Morrowind, the Baldor's Gate games, and Knights of the Old Republic, Sudeki (which i'll admit sucks has a heavy Japanese influence, and Gladius. We've got a good bit of the adventure type games too, like Ninja Gaiden, Breakdown, and the Deus Ex games.

These are just the games i have, i'm sure there's more.

i'm also wondering, i know 'survival-horror' games have sort of earned a seperate catagory, but i definatly think they have an RPG influence. You think they deserve a totaly distinct genre?
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:10 pm

Super Goat Weed wrote:friggin ps2 fanboys
I agree dude. U dont see us going in to any PS2 threats and saying "PS2 sucks blah blah" talk about the fuckin game!

I heard the dude from ff was coming over to X-Box but it was just rumours, isnt X-box gettin resdient evil also
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:11 pm

Balders Gate is one game I'm still to paly, but I have Never Winter Nights, very similar I think.

The difference being, I can play both those games on my PC.

Its about time X-Box snagged some decent games. Some games to possibly turn the tide and get me to buy one?!

Halo didn't entertain me much. I like exploding heads in my FPS's

Really, this guys WAS FF, thus, I think he's going to make a pretty decent game. I will be an emulation of FF i think tho.

Those are broad assumptions
Darkside
Enforcer

Post by Darkside » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:41 pm

EchoPark wrote:I heard the dude from ff was coming over to X-Box but it was just rumours, isnt X-box gettin resdient evil also
Never gonna happen. X-box doesn't sell well in japan, and capcom doesn't like the x-box. It's all a stupid rumor. A site called spong or something posted a list of x-box releases coming soon and Resident Evil 4 was on it. It was photoshopped onto the list. talk about lame.
------------------------------
Baldor's Gate games is multi consol.

-------------------------------
i'm also wondering, i know 'survival-horror' games have sort of earned a seperate catagory, but i definatly think they have an RPG influence. You think they deserve a totaly distinct genre.

Sort of earned? Survivor horror didn't have to earn anything. Survivor horror been around a long time, before resident evil. Survivor horror is it's own Genre.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:00 pm

I agree shin Halo was missing that feature lol.

I didnt get the rumour from a website dude i got it from a few gaming mags.

I cant really say much on the RPG genre cause i'm not a big fan on it. But still it would be good to see how it looks on the box
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:09 pm

As far as was my understanding, the Resident Evil series is sticking to the Gamecube only :P

I'm trying to lose this PS2 Fanboy-like status. If Sony suck, I'll tell it.
Last edited by Matt on Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:14 pm

holy crap people CLICK THE LINK and look at the source

he's there now, and that's the official microsoft xbox website. they HAVE him

he's only working on the next gen xbox system, whatever that may be, so don't expect anything mind blowing on the existing console.

i don't really think Halo being down on the gore factor reduced it's playability much. The whole concept is quite unique for an FPS (the shield feature and all) and, while i don't play it all that much myself anymore, i still think it's a great game.

it also bears mentioning that the Baldor's Gate games on xbox are NOT on the PC. I could be wrong, but i think they are exclusive. Xbox does not have Neverwinter Nights however.

and, as huge a fan as i am of Morrowind, i have to admit it's TONS better on the PC then it is on the xbox.

anyway yeah, i think things are looking good. For a console that pretty much sold for only one game, xbox is hanging on pretty well, and the next gen looks pretty nice now that they have some aditional talent on board.

oh, Oblivion (next elderscrolls game) is an xbox2 PC exclusive as well, though i'll be getting the PC version.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:55 pm

Hey dude have u seen some of the pics of what it could look like? the new gen x-box that is? The one i got looks pretty sweet. I like anyways