As Seen on American TV!

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:29 pm

kaos wrote:anime has american youth wanting to learn and emulate japanese culture when it would be more useful for them to learn latin culture.

chances of me having to speak japanese on a average day: slim to none..mostly none
chances of me having to speak spanish : 45%?
I just noticed that, and i'm gonna have to argue that one

Japan is a friggin technological POWERHOUSE, learning about that culture, as opposed to one that basicly just... well... sends immagrants over, has much more potential benefit. Nothing against latin culture, but yeah, i think you could go farther learning japanese and the latin culture could go farther learning english.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:09 pm

arguing back.

I see where youre coming from.
but I dont think most americans are actually going over to japan and i dont think many japanese are actually going to move to america.

on the other hand, or relationship with mexican is pretty close knit. and I'd refuse to be a stranger in my own homeland becuase i decided to learn japanese. you may go places if you learn japanese....but if you dont know spanish, you cant even get directions back to your house if your lost.

oh yeah for the record most illegal immigrants are actually canadian.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:16 am

i didn't say illegal, i just said immigrants

still though, it's not like it's a good idea to learn french 'cause we're gettin a bunch of canadian imports. I dunno, i pretty much think spanish is a language that will eventually drop by the wayside once things begin to unify. Eventually we'll all speak one language, and it will PROBABLY be english.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:44 am

Unless China invades the world and we all are under it's rule . ..then it could be Mandarin.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:13 am

while youre right on the bit about the laguage settling and and that it will probably be english. I doubt it would be full english.

officially yeah.
but im guessing it would be more like 75%english 25%spanish

Id say 25% is worth learning the entire language.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:42 am

spanish is spoken in more countries than english
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:24 pm

but english is spoken in the countries that actually MATTER

sorry if that comes across as assholish, but really, what comes out of south america that's actually a GOOD import, something worth learning a language for?

not much, you get iron, sugar, coffee, and drugs, that's about it, and that's not really worth learning a language for. Technology on the other hand, you need to comunicate VERY well in order to work with.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:26 pm

south america may not have the biggest or best status. but theyre "right there" its kinda silly to be able to communicate with people in the next state over but no be able to communicate with your next door niegbor.

technolgy is one of those industries that can grow and blood literally anywhere. before the 80's japan sucked at it, and now look at them.

it would take make to do the same for one of our own western countries.
If sombody like microsoft decided to build (non-manual labor) buisnesses in a few capital cities I'm betting they will begin to flurish just as easily.

latin american is an untapped market just waiting to be plugged it.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:39 am

And so if Africa, with probably more untapped natural resources than all the other countries combined sans China, because they can't really get to their stuff due to the lack of money and investment. You don't see anybody learning any of the African languages though. Personally, learning more than just Spanish and English will be useful in this new world.
Spider Jerusalem
Solider

Post by Spider Jerusalem » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:26 am

Ansatsusha wrote:Personally, learning more than just Spanish and English will be useful in this new world.
My Swahili lessons! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:15 pm

i hate americanized anime, especially anime thats been butchered by 4 kids poor anime, i mean i heard one piece was good in Japan but over in America its crap. but i do agree, Gundam Wing was definatly the best. but escaflowne wasnt terrible either, it wasnt great but it also wasnt destroyed by us. im glad also that inuyasha hasnt changed too much as well as dot hack sign. but then again im not a huge fan even though i like bleach and yakitate im not a fan of inuyasha weird eh?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:59 pm

Drabe, you mean Yakitate Japan? I've been watching that recently, it's hilarious! Thought Marna and I were the only ones...
nakodai
Trainee

Post by nakodai » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:18 pm

cowboy bebop and rurouni kenshin have some of the better dubbing and editing i've seen, they're enjoyable to watch in either language. escaflowne was alright as well, though i liked the movie better than the series, don't ask me why. it was just more dynamic i guess.

err... bob a se per due dans son pantalon? o_0;;
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:01 pm

Bob has lost himself in his pants? What?
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:16 am

You do realise that there is more than one language in Africa don't you? Also not all chinese people speak Mandarin.

You know to be honest if you had to learn a language....i'd probably make sure my french was Fluent.