Tool on streaming

From those killer tunes that you heard 6 years ago in the back of a mini bus, heading into Utah, or the songs that are on the radio now. This is the place. (No R&B please, because it doesn't exist)
Matt
Noble Warrior

Tool on streaming

Post by Matt » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:54 am

So, apparently Tool will be joining the wonderful world of online music streaming. Not too late to the party, guys.

I can throw out the CD's from my car now.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Re: Tool on streaming

Post by Chewi » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:45 pm

I'm still quite the luddite in some respects and this is one of them. It's important to me to have an actual copy of the stuff that cannot be taken away. I still mostly buy CDs, partly because they're often cheaper than downloads, but often because you can't beat the permanence of physical. I rip them, chuck the cases, and then keep the discs in a flight case under the stairs. The SD card in my phone has enough space for my entire collection a few times over so why would I stream? My collection is admittedly limited but if I were to discover something new through streaming, I'd still rather buy it if I like it. I do need to venture outside my comfort zone a bit though, I've stuck too closely to what I know lately.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Re: Tool on streaming

Post by Matt » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:42 am

I used to be the same. Though I do still buy music either physically or via BandCamp, I'm full on streaming these days. If it's a band I really like I'll buy the albums as direct as possible (which is why bandcamp is really good - plus it's DRM-free)

Through Spotify I've found hundreds of new bands and music, and I don't think that's an exaggeration. After you've been listening for a while you get a discovery queue with new stuff on it.

You can also use the Spotify client to play your own library and it will still eventually start to offer suggestions, which is neat.

This thing explains why I haven't been able to find anywhere to preorder this Tool album, though.