Dead Space: Extraction

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Dead Space: Extraction

Post by Chewi » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:47 pm

I had Time Crisis with a light gun for my PS1 back in the day. In fact, it's probably still stashed away somewhere back in Jersey but there's no point fishing it out because light guns were effectively killed off by the arrival of flat screen TVs. They don't work with those. Shame because I fucking loved that game. Even with the shitty graphics, the gameplay was great and demanded a unique skill.

Fast forward to today and what's a gamer to do? I gathered that the death of light guns paved the way for rail shooters but these have enjoyed less popularity due to the simple fact that you don't aim so much as move a reticle around. The Wiimote obviously lends itself well to this. You don't even need the Motion Plus because that only improves gyro accuracy; it doesn't help with aiming at all. You really want something that looks and feels like a gun in your hands though so investing in something like the Venom Light Blaster really adds to the experience. I highly recommend this one, it's apparently much more rugged than the flimsy Zapper from Nintendo and more comfortable than the offering from GAME.

So which game to pick? The list is longer than you might think. Despite not having played the series before, the one that stood out for me was Dead Space: Extraction. It is lauded as the best game that nobody played, largely for the obvious reason that it was an adult-rated rail shooter for the Wii; a bit of a non-starter really. I saw a forum thread that made me chuckle. Many were expecting EA to fuck this up and didn't even bother to give the game a look when it came out. When the posts about how great it was finally did start to trickle though, they were met with comments like "Wait… you mean… it actually doesn't suck?!"

Now I'll admit that I don't play much in the way of AAA titles these days, especially of the shooter variety, but this game is awesome. Turn the lights down, crank the surround up, and you're in for a real treat. You're pretty much in "oh shit, oh shit" mode the whole time. It keeps you smiling with some very funny dialogue though. It will also make you think again about the Wii's graphical capabilities. This must be one of the best-looking games it has to offer. It has four difficulty settings, Normal, Hard, Expert, and Impossible. I've been playing on Hard but I've been thinking of stepping up to Expert since I remembered to use the timed reload feature; you're dead meat without that. The boss battle I just endured was pretty intense though. Not so tough once you know what to do but I couldn't hear what the others were shouting over all the fucking noise. :lol:

My only criticism is that it froze once, 5 seconds before the end of a chapter, and these chapters are quite long. Apparently it is known for freezing occasionally but every comment I've seen about this is very forgiving, which is a testament to how great it is. Normally that would kill a game's reputation.

I suspect most of you have chucked your Wii or never had one to start with. Good thing it was later ported to the PS3 then. I'm playing it on the Wii U, which is also highly underrated, by the way.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Re: Dead Space: Extraction

Post by kaos » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:07 pm

a lenghty post about how happy playing with your wii makes you.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:29 am

Ahem. The game also requires a nunchuk so both hands are very much preoccupied, thank you. :P
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:05 pm

its ok, we all play with our wii's from time to time.

The last Mario game was fucking genius.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:24 pm

If you mean Super Mario 3D World then yes. I just finished it.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:26 pm

yup. Looking forward to Hyrule Warriors. and Smash Bros.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:06 am

Both of which I have now.
Mega Man Rocks
Hyrule Warriors I still havnt played
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:48 pm

I'm enjoying this Smash Bros. much more than the previous one. I feel like I've finally figured it out whereas before, I just felt I was button bashing while getting lost in the on-screen chaos. Kayla loves it too though she's not as good at this as she is at 3D World. Mega Man seems like a weak character to me but maybe it depends on your style. My best is probably Rosalina and Luma.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:13 pm

I keep hearing that Megaman isn't that great a character.
but I think I do ok with him.
and I must admit that is part of the draw.

"I just kicked you ass with a character that supposedly sucks"