the next Console Generation?

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Re: the next Console Generation?

Post by Mik » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:50 am

Matt wrote:
Hate to be a cunt, but, nope!
Europe's highest court ruled on Tuesday that the trading of "used" software licenses is legal and that the author of such software cannot oppose any resale.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... ven_online

Has that ruling ever been upheld ? more license keys are now bound to an account, I've never seen an ability to unbind the license key in any gaming software or Adobe product (photoshop mainly).

Most downloaded content games don't even come with license keys these days, I haven't received a license key for the last few purchases I have made, it just worked as it was purchase through my account, how can I re-sell something that I never have ?

Now to sell 'my' copy of the game I'd have to sell my account with all my other purchases bound to it, which is against the EULA and TOS of that company, which if caught they can suspend and ultimately close that account.

If you want to take Blizzard or Valve to the EU courts, to sell a '£40' game for £20 used, good luck.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:27 am

It's a very new ruling, the article is dated the beginning of the month, and a licence != licence key. There are very few keys these days.

All I'm saying is it's a good thing because it will force publishers to be more creative. As it stands right now with no demos if you have the moral conscience not to pirate you stand to get effed in the A on any new title if you don't like it. At least with this ruling it brings about the option to sell it on and get something back. One man's junk is another man's treasure and all that.

If you buy a new CD or DVD if you don't like it you can stick it on eBay without a worry that it's tied to you in some inane way and the new user can use it unhindered... I don't see why it can't be the same for software?

Also, you don't need to sue them since the right to sell them is given already. I'd imagine one or two people making a fuss to news agencies about it would be enough to bring it under the microscope.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:01 pm

if they get all the kinks sorted. it gives gamestop a way to survive.
and those bitches need to die.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:47 pm

so....
about that prophesied backlash?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:54 pm

Heh. It was inevitable, wasn't it? I've not seen recent figures but it seems like people have been quick to forget. Shinies tend to have that effect.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:44 pm

They spend millions of dollars on hype, it tends to work.

Wankers will queue round the block for the latest iPhone, even though it's only marginally better than the previous, it's the way human's operate. People say its amazing, therefore it must be good, it kind of played in both their favours, this PS vs Xbox 'war' kept them both in the news for weeks.

The trend has been longer lifespan on the platforms though, so I can see this generation being another 8 years or so and since it didn't seem like there was much of a stellar leap in performance this time around, both major companies appear to have went for reasonable rather than the futureproof attempts of the past. So maybe they go in the black earlier this time, doubt it but maybe.

I was interested in the steam box but it seems like all their ambition has been bitch slapped out of them during development, not sure what makes it any different to anything else at this point, although the steam OS might be worth a dual boot.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:06 am

Mik wrote:I was interested in the steam box but it seems like all their ambition has been bitch slapped out of them during development, not sure what makes it any different to anything else at this point, although the steam OS might be worth a dual boot.
What do you actually want it to do?
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Be up-gradable mainly, but the prototypes that are out there are just like every other console.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:57 pm

Er, how do you work that out?

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Steam+Ma ... down/20473

It's just like a PC :D

The only tough bit looks like the CPU could be stuck in there, but it doesn't look like a BGA fitting.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:40 pm

huh, guess I got the wrong end of the stick in some news articles.
Narren7
Solider

Post by Narren7 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:32 am

I'd like to see more effort put into actual game development for these systems. What the hell is the point of this shiny new glittery awesome console that does everything but has no effing content? I loathe sports games. And most of what they try to market with now are all sports or war games. Neither of which appeal to me. I miss good developed RPGs with real replay value. *sighs*
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:04 pm

I think it's difficult, when the budgets come into effect there is basically low end 'indy' development and 40 million+ productions.

When you throw down that kinda cash you need a ROI and you need it quick, there's all these 'record breaking fastest seller games ever' and there is a good reason for that, if they don't make the majority of the money back in the first coupla of weeks they aren't going to. If you think about the call of duty series, there has been a new one every year for the last 6 or 7 years, it's got a shelf life of about 6 months, after which people will probably just wait for the next one to come out.

There is also a tendency to consume content at a faster rate than in the past, I mean, I wonder if an FF7 came out today, would people really have this 80+ hour game play experience I had back in '99.m

I haven't bought a RPG game, since FFXII, the problem is the medium fucked, most RPG's these days are just solo MMO games or sandbox, storyline has been replaced with time sink. The Final fantasy series isn't doing all that well lately as they seem to be a bit schizophrenic about what they want to make, plus it's Japanese so the storyline is always set to WHAT THE FUCK ?.

Actually I lie, I bought Dragon Age: Origin about a year ago, it's fairly good, the sequel is meant to suck, no played it, I might pick up the next time it's in a steam sale.