Final Fantasy 8

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Final Fantasy 8

Post by Mik » Wed May 08, 2013 8:26 am

So I started replaying this game,

I install a shit load of mods to replace the music and fix the graphics so they are mind blindingly terrible, still pretty bad in regards to the backgrounds, which don't scale at all but the character models are kinda alright, blocky but not awful.

I've been thinking about keeping a journal, cause I'm about 4 hours in and I don't think the story makes sense at all if it ends the way I think it ends.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Re: Final Fantasy 8

Post by Masteroftheweb » Sun May 12, 2013 1:11 am

So... 10 years later and you are just now finally understanding where I'm coming from when I say that FF8 sucks?
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue May 14, 2013 8:11 am

I disagree that the game sucks, I'm having lots of fun.

There are a lot of bumps in the storyline however, I think that largely the Laguna flashback elements make no logical sense, least not for me at the minute. Ellione is the one that's sending them back, with the object mission to change the past. This was recently revealed to be the point of them, during a dreamphone conversation be how they are meant to do this is beyond me as they don't know what there are changing and these moments while interesting, bar the jumping off the cliff part, I fail to see them as pivotal.

I certainly had/have fonder memories of the story than I'm currently witnessing, there is some lumpy story telling, but that's just the Japanese for you. For example, Matron explains that she was possessed and what the spirit of Ultimecia wants with Ellione, to travel back in time and fuck something up and cause time compression, they dicuss lots of stuff, but they basically go; time compression eh? what's that? oh! compress all time to a single point eh ? Bitches be crazy amirite ?

Some of dialogue is horrifically bad but I imagine it's something that's lost in the translation, I've modded the fuck of the game, I'm pretty sure I spotted a retranslation of the script, I might give that a whirl.

I still think the premise of the game is excellent and redone now, perhaps with a slightly more adult tone and a cleaned up story, it would be an excellent game, rather than just a good one.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue May 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Back then... I only PLAYED games for the story. Traditional RPGs weren't the most fun to play. Grind grind grind, get next portion of the story.

They were visual novels and I was okay with that... which why I hated FF8

The characters sucked, the story sucked... and be honest... the junction system sucked.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sat May 18, 2013 2:32 pm

The junction system is epicly broken, but it's a lot better than that sphere-grid shit they were obsessed with for a while.

How did the story suck ?
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Sun May 19, 2013 2:50 am

Unlikable characters, plot holes, and stupidity abound.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon May 20, 2013 4:14 pm

I don't consider any of the characters unlikable, Squall is a very cleverly written character for the player of the game, since he is so stoic early on, you learn a lot because he won't answer and other characters have to fill the awkward silence. The rest are abit naive and daft but they grow on you.

Plot holes, yeah there a few major ones for me,

How can they forget their childhood before they junction GF's ?

Their recollections seem entirely random, they remember parts of their childhood but totally forget that all their childhood friends are fucking their current class mates. Also at the start of the game they made a whole song and dance about equipping a GF, if that's the first time that entire plot point is moot, I assume they junctioned them earlier in training/ as junior classmen but Selphie mentions that she equipped one prior to coming to Balamb only, she would have needed to forget that shit instantly.

How is Squall the only qualified candidate for leadership?

Of Squall's class there was around 10 people we are physically shown, then only 4 or so are shown at the SeeD passing out ceremony. So between him, Zell and two random assholes that we might get names for but I forget (damn GF's). Seems reasonable if it's between 4 people, but hold on, the Garden is fucking huge, class sizes of 10 seems retardly small. Considering there are several hundred students involved in the battle of the Garden only a few days later, 10 must be the outlier in terms of class size. Even if it's not, that's a 40% success rate. Since they seemed to be an induction age of around 8 and Squall is 18 on graduation, so there are 100 students a decade? nah must be higher so maybe 400-500 student or (100-125 SeeDs from the ages of 18-28). Were are all the older SeeDs at ?

I like the idea of the FF8 I think the themes involved are all really interesting, the execution is a little off but nothing totally off putting, just typical of the Japanese style, Wolf's Rain was an awesome anime but the storyline is totally retarded and it ended a spectacularly stupid fashion.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue May 21, 2013 4:02 am

I disagree that it's off putting... since you know... I hated the game as a whole.

I don't get how don't think it's off putting... but... to each their own.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue May 21, 2013 8:17 am

As a fairly stoic and emotionally retarded young man, I identified with the main character quite heavily. That's given it a lot of goodwill, even now that I'm old and never shut the fuck up.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue May 21, 2013 12:40 pm

I see... so you have much in common with Squall...

How many dicks have YOU sucked?
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed May 22, 2013 12:45 pm

I quite like this game in the series. Square-Enix are re-releasing it on PC in "HD" I.E. Widescreen. I'll grab that, like I grabbed FFVII when they "re-released" that as well. I had to download a music pack that replaced all the MIDI files with the original PS1 music that was much better quality, but after that it was quite good.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu May 23, 2013 7:56 am

Masteroftheweb wrote:I see... so you have much in common with Squall...

How many dicks have YOU sucked?
Not nearly enough.