Hail to the king, baby!

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Hail to the king, baby!

Post by Chewi » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:42 pm

As I'm sure you've heard, the impossible is happening! Duke lives! As someone who bought Duke Nukem 3D almost as soon as it came out, I'm quite excited about the new game finally making it out the door. I actually do remember reading about it in PC Gamer way back in 1997. I also remember reading about Prey around then and they took their sweet time with that too. Man, those 3D Realms guys were slow.

Funny thing is though, I never actually finished DN3D. The first couple of levels on the third episode were a little tough but now I have the benefit of experience and mouse aiming. That's right, I've picked it up again, this time using the rather excellent EDuke32. Unfortunately my graphics driver is having some trouble with the hi-res texture pack but it still looks quite nice at 1280x1024 with real 3D models. I'm hoping to get those driver issues sorted before I get to the end. Knowing how long it takes me to finish a game, that shouldn't be a problem.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Re: Hail to the king, baby!

Post by kaos » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:47 am

yeah...

The news was unbelievable.

I may end up buying the game whether its good or bad.
owning a copy of Duke Forever would be like owning a piece of Industry history.

as for Duke3D
I played the the hell out of that game.

beat it thrice.
Once in co-op

I read an article where they described the new games first level.
Its a full on re-creation of Duke 3d's final level. I don't think the article writer seemed to know that.
seems like a lot of those guys write about how good the old games are and how knowledgeable they are about them etc. Then theirs little things like that that they should just know, that they completely miss. sometimes I suspect these guys just go hit up Wikipedia before writing the article, to make themselves seem credible.

anyway....
I hope its a very long game, in relation to its dev time.
it should have like a 100 map minimum.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:16 am

With PAX i made sure i had my twitter going just make to make sure i didnt miss anything gaming related. Then a post came out about the Gearbox guys wearin Duke tshirts. I knew Take Two went to gearbox about it and there was rumours but when i saw Georgeb3dr sayin he was waiting to get the live feed from ustream at PAX to see his most wait for game ... i wat like "wtf!! need to see" so i stuck it on, the chat was just classic qoutes like "hail to the king baby", "always bet on Duke" and "holy shit is this a late april fools joke" granted that was me. But when ya saw the banner and the Duke babes i was happy. Ustream couldnt see it on the big screen but saw some gameplay on small screens which looked ok.

I love Duke Nukem, my dad played the game all the time and when i got the chance i did. I even went out my way to get the first 2 2d scrollers and then the awful Manhatten Project just cause it was duke. So i would wait forever for the new one. its been what 12 years and i cant wait ... i didnt loose hope lol.

There gonna put a open for all beta for PC up soon on the home page so i may give it a go.

Edit: I just went to there site maybe i mis heard due to ustreaming being awful with there sound but at the mo it seems to be on base testing :(
Forgetfuldan
Enforcer

Post by Forgetfuldan » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:45 am

WOoo yea come get some! Damn i'm looking good! Ahh the good old days can't wait!