Mouse and Wiimote

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Mouse and Wiimote

Post by Chewi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:44 pm

Now that I have a nice big telly that just happens to be hooked up to the PC, I thought I'd see if I could use it for gaming. I have a bluetooth mouse but no kind of wireless keyboard. But who needs a whole keyboard unless you're playing Mechwarrior, right? So I decided to give one other bluetooth device a try - the Wiimote! I am using a driver called CWiid and the results have been encouraging.

You can actually play Neverball by tilting the Wiimote. It's one of the included configurations. It's rather heavy on the wrists though so I changed it to use the analogue stick on the nunchuk instead. I feel more comfortable with the mouse but I could get used to it. I actually did quite well on a couple of levels I normally find tricky.

For first-person shooters, you can't really use the Wiimote to aim without a sensor bar and even then I'm not sure how well it would work. I do have the Wii sensor bar but it can only be connected to the Wii. It's actually just a bunch of LEDs. No data is involved and any bunch of similarly laid out LEDs will work. If the LEDs were lit when the Wii is in standby then it would be fine but unfortunately they're not.

In any case, I think I prefer the mouse for aiming so I gave UT a try. I used the Wii's D-pad for moving about and that was fine. The problem was actually the mouse. My bluetooth mouse feels and reacts quite differently to my regular mouse. The biggest gripe is that I have a tendency to lift and shuffle the mouse slightly. With my regular mouse, this doesn't move the pointer but the bluetooth mouse registers it. Apart from that, it works really well.

I'd like to give Half-LIfe a go but whenever I've tried it in widescreen, the screen corrupts. I don't have to use a widescreen resolution though.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Re: Mouse and Wiimote

Post by Chewi » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:13 pm

No one cares. Oh well. :P Remembered I had a wireless mouse and tried that instead. Much more comfortable with that but the range is pretty crap. You can't charge this one up via USB either.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:23 pm

Got N working well with the Wiimote. Unfortunately you still need the mouse to work the menus. Starts up fullscreen though, despite being a Flash game. Looks great.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:28 pm

Vector graphics.

If you wanted those to look bad, you'd actually have to try and do it on purpose.

otherwise you could project it on a billboard, or play it on a screen as small as a watch face, and its always gonna look pretty good.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:13 pm

Well yeah, I didn't really mean it like that, but you're right.
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:19 am

I did the whole wii mote for my pc a good while back, i just found it to be fun for 10mins then thats it. I dont even like using it for my wii.

And the whole mouse thing where u lift and shuffle, that depends on the laser or optical strenght. With my Razer i can lift it 1cm of the desk and still use it. I think my wow mouse can go a bit more.

Am needing to get a bluetooth mouse for my media center i just go in the weekend. I got a bluetooth keyboard with a tracker pad on it but ... i just dont like tracker pad. And i dont want to use the classic wireless cause that means somethings got to stick out. But the wee vaio has bluetooth built in. I think they now have a good Logitech Rev one which is blue tooth.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:22 am

I tried using the Bluetooth mouse on the desktop to see what it was like there. I've realised why find it so awkward. If you stop moving it at all, even for a couple of seconds, it takes about a second to start moving again. This wouldn't be so bad if it only did it after a minute. Seems ridiculous. I think it's the mouse's fault rather than the driver's but maybe I'll try it in Windows just to be sure. Echo, have you found Bluetooth mice to behave like that?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:18 pm

I was wondering about the whole sensor bar thing and whether it would just be possible to replace the connector with a USB plug. My TV has a USB port so I could just plug it in there. That's not possible though. The official bar draws 12V but USB only puts out 5V. That's why people build their own sensor bars from scratch to connect via USB. There are wireless ones but apparently they eat batteries for breakfast. Another alternative exists though. Candles! They're probably an even better source of infra-red than LEDs and apparently this works. Marna's always burning things, I'm sure she'd only be too happy to try this. :lol:
EchoPark
Vagabond

Post by EchoPark » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Most wireless mice suffer from them switchin off. Some longer than others. Its just to save power. Tho some better mice you can actually go in to the mouse when connected and set up the power off time. That was the main reason i went bk to wired mice. Gaming is awful wireless if u have that power saver on cause i could be sniping and i have like a second lag. Also when fishing on wow. I hardly caught fish cause of that tiny bit lag.

Aye candles work for a sensor bar seen it done a good few times. Never tired it myself but tons of youtube vids.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:41 pm

Hmm might try it in Windows then. There might be an option. Today, I bought the only commercially available USB sensor bar. Coming from the US so it might take a while. Meanwhile, I realised that I could control the mouse pointer with my mobile phone. Fun but even more pointless!
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:54 am

As a note: the camera is in the remote, if you can get those LED's lit, the remote will report their position.

This guy(<--link) creates some goggles with the LED's on them to create a fucking brilliant effect.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:42 am

Yeah I've seen that before, it's awesome.