Dr Who

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:51 pm

I actually thought the one I saw last night but the grand finale and they'd be continuing it sometime in the future. Silly me. Saw the real finale tonight. It was excellent. I like how they keep the Doctor true to character. He had the opportunity to blow up the daleks back in the 70s but he hesitated.

I really don't like Catherine Tate. I think she was a terrible choice but at the very least, her acting has improved since she started and she didn't do such a bad job by the end. At least we can be fairly sure we'll never see her again. :D

I think Britain is pretty much unique with its TV licensing model. It was alright back in the day but the BBC does so much more than it used to. I feel like I'm paying for stuff I don't even care about like Radio 1 or the BBC Asian Network or whatever. You don't even have to pay the fee if you only listen to the radio, which adds insult to injury in a way. I still watch BBC One and BBC News more than any other channel but it's now possible to watch a lot of what you want without ever looking at the BBC channels because there's so much more choice available and yet you would still have to pay the license fee regardless. I think modern technology could allow us to come up with a fairer system but the BBC would need to implement it and they would never do that.
Last edited by Chewi on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:52 pm

Chewi wrote:At least we can be fairly sure we'll never see her again. :D
Let's keep a hopin' and lets keep a prayin'! If I can get past the fact I really don't like her (added to the fact that Ed wants to shag her senseless!), I'd watch it.

I hardly watch any of the BBC channels they suck compared to the others. Yes everything seems to be endless repeats these days, but none other than bloody BBC. I tend to watch Five and FX, now, especially for NCIS.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:04 am

Just finished series two... Rose.... i want rose!!!!!!!! The christmas special... was interesting... I'm not really liking Martha Jones, but i've only seen the first episode of the third season.

Tennant... is quirky and definately likes humanity and it's foibles better than eccelstons Dr. Who.

I think we are going to watch some torchwood once it's the right time in the storyline... though i've already seen one or two episodes on the tv.

I don't like Sarah Jane Smith...she's annoying and ...annoying.

BTW if you want johnny i can get Toshi to tell me the torrents he used.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:54 pm

This didn't occur to me till hours later but... did you really just say foibles? :lol:
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:30 pm

Hate Doctor Who.

It scared me sensless as a child, fucking underwater creatures dragging people below the surface (haha yeah laugh it up, fuck you I was like 9).

I watched the one with Daleks that Chris Ecclestone did and he screams and rants and I though hell that was really rather entertaining, Then I caught the new guy and some christmas specials and I thought bleh. The show seems to grudge along until it dgrades into the docor fucking waving his magic wand (sonic screwdriver) around until the problems fix themselves.

It's the reverse of Batman.

the 60's one was campy as hell and it's now gritty and dark.

The old Doctor who was poor production values and fluff, now it's super campy and contrived.
Last edited by Mik on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:56 pm

Heh yeah, the daemons were really creepy.

Actually, I think it had a really high budget compared to most shows back then or at least most BBC shows anyway. The effects just haven't aged very well. One particular moment sticks out in my mind where they used a toy tank to shoot at a clip of a giant robot in the background.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:07 am

Don't watch Torchwood, it's still written like it's meant to be watched by children but has swearing and sex in it. It makes you feel dirty.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:38 am

.... you guys are ruinings it..... :(

yes.... i did say foibles...is that a bad thing?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:52 am

I've just never heard any normal person use that word before. :P
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:51 am

just saw the episode called blink. It was fucking scary, stupid statues.. I remember not liking dr who as a child but fucking hell there are some creepy episodes. The 'are you my mummy' episode is bad too. Why did the end have to have the statues. Fucking evil
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:37 am

Blink is probably the best written episode of all of the new ones. It's a great family horror.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:19 pm

It fucking scared the shit out of me.

The bit at the end with the strobing lights at the end... and the statues.... the statues!
Last edited by Melana on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:02 pm

Torchwood is ....silly... and you where right Joe.

The sex just feels silly and out of place. There hasn't been an episode i really like yet.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:00 am

Ok, i'm fully up to date now with dr who and torchwood....

FUCKING TORCHWOOD........

I miss Toshiko
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:34 pm

God I cannot STAND Torchwood. Stupid Dr Who spin-off!