The Hogfather

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:51 pm

I'm going to upload this somewhere. If anyone is interested in downloading it, I'll post links. It was free to watch on TV, therefore should be free to share. Post your agreeance or objection.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:37 pm

what is it?

gimme a description.
I'm way too american to go looking all on my own.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:10 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogfather

Too much to paste from there, but don't read it all or you'll spoil it for yourself!
In the novel, the Auditors strike again by deciding to eliminate the Hogfather because he does not fit into their view of the universe. They meet with Lord Downey, head of the Assassin's Guild, and commission the services of Mr. Teatime (pronounced teh-ah-tim-eh), whose particular brand of insane genius makes him an ideal candidate for the assassination of the Hogfather and other anthropomorphic personifications. Death decides to take over for the Hogfather in order to make people continue to believe in him, wearing a long red cloak and a beard, but things start to become complicated because he is taking the children's wishes too literally. Meanwhile, his granddaughter Susan must find out what's happened to the real Hogfather. She visits his Castle of Bones only to find the hung-over Bilious, the "Oh God of Hangovers" (So-called because "when humans experience [him], they clutch their heads and say "oh god") whom she rescues before the castle collapses due to the lack of belief. In an attempt to cure Bilious, Susan visits the Unseen University, where it is discovered that several of these minor gods and beings are being created. The University's thinking machine, Hex, explains that there is 'spare belief' in the world - due to the absence of the Hogfather - which is being used to create them. Susan and Bilious then travel to the land of the Tooth Fairy where they discover that Teatime has 'killed' the Hogfather by collecting millions of children's teeth and using them to control the children, forcing them to stop believing in the Hogfather. Upon throwing the assassin off the tower and apparently killing him, Susan clears the teeth away and brings back the Hogfather by rescuing him from the Auditors, who have taken the forms of dogs. They cannot return to their original state and so cannot stop themselves falling off a cliff.

Afterwards, Teatime tracks Susan to the Gaiters' nursery, but is killed by Susan using the nursery poker, which passes through Death because "it only kills monsters".
Last edited by Matt on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:47 am

Nice summary. I read the book years ago but had kinda forgotten what happens. I haven't seen the film but check it out, Johnny. I think you'll find it inspiring.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:42 am

I highly recommend the books to anyone with a taste for fantasy and humour, preferrably both bunched into one.

I've been reading some more of his books again the last few nights. Finished The Light Fantastic last night and I'm now halfway through Equal Rites, having only started it last night. I'd finish it right now, but then I'll have nothing to read for a whilte :( They're so good I'm choosing to read instead of sleep.
Trigo
Solider

Post by Trigo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:08 pm

I bought the DVD as soon as it was out as i love the books.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:25 pm

Ed LOVES The Discworld series. Terry Pratchett is v.funny.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:35 pm

Ed got The Hogfather from Tesco DVD rental today gonna watch it tomorrow before he sends it back hehe.