Movies you seen Recently

The Silver screen, direct to dvd, web only, movie reviews and discussion.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:44 pm

Xanien wrote:I also watched Children of Men, and I thought that was a pretty cool movie. Good acting, compelling story . . . but I'm wondering, why is it that the UK is always going to shit in the movies? 28 Days Later, Children of Men, V for Vendetta
Don't forget Shaun of the Dead! :E
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:07 pm

Xanien wrote:One word . . . OLDBOY. This movie fucking rocks. It's korean, but as long as that doesn't bother you, this is probably one of the most original, twisted, and violent movies I've ever seen. It's really entertaining to watch (as long as you can deal with the violence). Download it!
THAT'S the movie i was thinking of

didn't they have a fight scene that was styled like an old side scrolling beat-em-up?
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:34 pm

you sure ben?
cuzz i remember you trying to convince me that the video game fight scene was in Ong-Bak aswell.

closest thing to that I can think of is the resturant fight scene in Tom Yum Goong (the protector)

here's part of that scene. IF you dont mind spoiling one of the coolest parts of the movie

Click here to view the YouTube video. Click here again to hide it.
Last edited by kaos on Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:40 am

Well i don't remember the name, hense my confusion, but Oldboy sounds about right.

Wikipedia to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldboy
The corridor fight scene took seventeen takes in three days to perfect, and contrary to popular belief, it was actually just one continuous take - there was no editing of any sort. Though the scene has often been compared visually to side scrolling beat 'em up video games, director Park Chan-wook has stated the similarity was unintentional.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:14 am

ah.
I gather its this scene then...
Click here to view the YouTube video. Click here again to hide it.

I'm not seein it.

anybody else find it weird that china and actors hailing from there seem to be tapped out for fight films lately?

they were on top for so long.
and Donnie Yen hadnt quite made a big mark yet.
Last edited by kaos on Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:00 pm

That's the famous fight scene! OMG it freaking rocked. The dude had just taken the other guy's teeth out with a hammer and at the start of the scene he asks who as AB blood type, then to take that guy to the hospital. I dont' want to spoil what the story was about up to that point, but it's a vengeance movie (freaking great one at that) about this guy trying to find out who fucked him over (he got fucked over REALLY good in this movie), and this is one of those steps he takes in order to find out the truth.

This scene was good, but there are countless other classic parts in this movie.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:24 am

Well it's not gonna look like TMNT, but i get where they are coming from. It's all filmed from one angle in a long, non-stop clip.

It would be awesome to do something a little more like a beat-em-up. Bird's eye view and non stop fighting with a fixed camera for a good 5 min or so. It would be REALLY intense.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:26 am

tom yum goong does it twice.
once in the warehouse and once on the staircase.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:51 pm

Movie: Smokin' Aces

Leave your brain at the door this a farce of the film that has alot of things wrong with it but it's genuinely funny and quite good in it's own right.

I got the film sort of ruined for me in that I knew about 1 or 2 things that where gonna happen so they didn't really come as a suprise. The Neo-Nazi sadist hick brothers are the highlight of the film for me, they steal every scene.

Ryan Reynolds has to play a fairly straight role for once and I think he did it quite well and the development of his character was pretty good. However most of the characters where pretty poor developed but with soo many of them it's easy to lose who the hell they are and why wher supposed to care. Some of the dialogue was fucking woeful but came off to me as out right funny, which I hope was the intent.

I saw the plot twist coming from about 10 minutes in.

I did notice one filming error, which I do hate, cause it takes you out of film. when in the Hotel getting dressed as a hooker Alicia Keys' character speaks to her partner over radio but her mouth does not move.

It's a good film if you don't look to deep into it.
Last edited by Mik on Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:35 am

I went to see Pan's Labyrinth about a week ago. I really like it as do most of the people I know who've seen it. The story is pretty formula but the visual style is amazing. Even if you don't think you'd like it, check it out just to see the fantasy scenes.

The story is set in Franco's Spain, which is good if only because most American's won't know who Franco was before watching this movie. Some of my friends felt that the movie should have included more spooky fantasy and less wartime melodrama, and I can see where they're coming from. It goes over pretty well though, although some of the characterization is laid on pretty thick.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:10 am

intersting...
how do you have too much characterization?
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:20 am

Movie: Blood and Chocolate

Good Points;

Werewolves
Pack
A new type of transformation scene
Those crazy french fuckers that jump around off buildings and shit
Werewolves in a Pack

Bad points;

Shitty 3rd rate Romeo+Juliet plot with happy ending
Complete lack of Character development
That wall jumping shit when she's running ... wtf was it for.
Rambo was a graphic novelist.
Silver is the used like a tactical nuke and werewolfaway in a tin can.
Short run time ?

Review;

Someone said it best, at it's coresounds like a rejected Underworld 3 script. There was like zero chemistry between the two characters for alot of the time. The fluffy haired human guy was trying though and I kinda bought him as a character until he goes all one man army on us.

I liked alot of the things it was doing, there was a pack, it was a story about werewolves that wasn't a first change or 'oh woe is me' storyline. There wasn't a handy get of werewolf free card so the lead could be all normal and shit in the end for the super happy ending. I liked some of the body work and the posturing in human form, my friends didn't see it (it becomes much clearer in the final scenes) but they where exposing their necks to the leader.

Readers of the book are horrified by the bastardised version that appears on the silver screen (heh) and I haven't read the book but I can see why. Even on a Bad day (underworld 2) Underworld had more plot than this ... I swear if they removed all the arty bullshit shots this movie would hjave like a 20 minute run time.

Too much cheese toasty not enough chilli sauce.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:17 am

Less plot then underworld 2? Wow... that must be bad

To me over characterisation is when they keep telling you to much about the character instead of letting you create certain assumptions yourself about the character from dialgoue or action.

It's like explaining a dusty desk to someone bit by bit starting from the side panel instead of just saying the desk was dusty.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:50 am

oh, like Hawthorne writes stuff.

"shut the fuck up, its just a silly flower in front of a door gad dammit i dont need you to give me a 6 page essay, move the hell on be for I stab you in the mother fu...."

like that?
Last edited by kaos on Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:35 am

Lucky Number Slevin. Seen it before, still great :D