Your Thoughts on Battlestar Galactica

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:58 am

I haven't seen ONE show on TV as of yet. I basically watched the original 3 hour miniseries that was on NBC about two years ago, thought it was pretty damn cool, and then starting last year bought the DVD boxed set. I'm currently watching season 2.5, and god damn this is probably the coolest Sci-Fi show I've ever seen. I think it tops Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, Babylon 5, Farscape, and just about everything else that's out there. I mean, the other stuff is entertaining, but the quality of BSG is just stunning. Aside from two episodes I just watched in season 2.5 (Scar and Sacrifice), I thought that each episode is powerful and stunning in both their presentation and story. I love the huge battles in space and all the human drama going on in the side stories.

I'm a little worried they can't keep this up forever though. Anybody else have thoughts on this series?
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:56 pm

It is the best thing on TV, well that's a lie I never really watch TV, but it's the best downloaded TV I watch :P

it's so wonderfully fucking dark and now in season 3 the issues of morality come alot more and what constitutes humanity and defines life.

Those two episodes you watched are the most complained about of the series they where weak apparent.

Awesome.

Best scene:

Season 2: Kara in her old appartment
Season 3: The Adama Maneuver
Last edited by Mik on Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:13 pm

Where did you download season 3 mik? I couldn't find it.

I didn't like how Season 2 ended, but I certainly do like the series.

I still like House better though.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:22 pm

http://www.isohunt.com

you kidding me then end of season 2 was fucking golden, I was desperate to know what happened next. Will, season 3 is being aired on Sci-fi over there, you'd get it faster by watching it that way.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:56 pm

They made Starbuck a girl, and therefore i refuse to watch it. If you know his original character, you'd understand this could be nothing but horrid.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:31 pm

Yeah, way to get caught up on details that don't even matter.

I have watched the original I loved it, heck I even liked the abortion that was Galactica 1980.

If you seriously didn't watch it for such a bullshitty reason you don't deserve to watch it. Boomer is an asian woman, instead of a black guy, but no no-one cares about that, nah, it's all cause Starbuck is a chick. NO!!!! ooh the horror, the horror of having more exciting female characters than pussy fodder for the cliche superhero-esque fighter jocks.

I know I'm going to really laugh at the reasoning for this, why is it exactly that 'Starbuck' can't it be played by a woman?
Last edited by Mik on Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:14 pm

I missed the first few episdoes, and so I can't watch it now.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:12 am

Do you really need me to explain that? I didn't know about Boomer because i never watched the show, i figured if they were gonna make insane changes like that, then why the hell even call it Galactica? Or just not give them names that were NOT taken by completely different characters before?

It's like the way SquareEnix slaps FF on everything they want to sell, but on a smaller scale. Let's just take this character and slap an old character's name on it because it will get people's attention, even though the two are completely different.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:24 am

They call it Galatica because the root story is the same.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:42 am

Because it's a re-imagination of the story, if it was exactly the same it'd boring, chessy as fuck and canceled fairly quickly. The did make another re-make per say that was a conituation I think of the OST a few years before it never even made it past pilot.

The changed the character to a women they didn't get rid of it, Starbuck is now 100 times more of a character than the Dirk Benedict's 21st century cyber-pimp. It was par for the course back then but would not survive today, Why do they call every new Star Trek series Stark Trek, Kirk isn't even in it.

It might have be hard to remember but the show Battlestar Gallatica was about the struggle for survival of the last of humanity and the lone remaining Battlestar to protect them and not about Starbuck.

Katie Sackhoff > Dirk Benedict anyway.

The Mini series has more depth than the whole OS.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:33 pm

Picard was the best captain.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:01 pm

They don't call Picard Kirk. That's my issue. It's also not 'Star Trek' every singe time, it's Next Generation, or Deep Space. They Aren't even re-cycling the same old character, they are completely changing it, so she should have a different name. It's lame, it's lack of creativity, and it annoys me. I really don't need any other reason then that.

Also, i should say that i never liked the original Starbuck either, but if you're gonna change stuff, then change it, don't half ass it like that.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:33 am

I wouldnt call it lack of creativity.

I dont think it matters all that much.

its not like the original character had enough depth for a certain criteria to be required first.

the role from the past could be extended to any gender or race and still work.
and they pretty much proved it here

the character not only does not fail. but is far better.

the original starbuck was just a Generic hotshot pilot, and thats a role we've seen since shortly after the wright brothers got a plane up.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:24 am

I just think it's lame to re-use a name, especially when the characters are completely different.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:52 am

not really they are both fighter aces and considered to be the best in the fleet, they are both loud and brash.

Shakespear plays get remade all the time, those character where originally played all by men, although thats slightly different. Also many directors choose to take the concept and alter it (Romeo + Juliet, Romeo must die, a modernized MacBeth just ones I've seen fairly recently).

They reuse nearly every character, Admiral Bill Adama, Lee 'Apollo' Adama, Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace, Sharon 'Boomer' Valerii, Boxy, The Quorum of 12, Dr. Baltar.

But they also have a host of new characters, Six, Sharon 'Athena' Agathon, Galen Tyrol, Colonel Tigh, Anastasia Dualla, President Laura Roslin, Karl 'Helo' Agathon and a bunch of support characters.

The could have quite easily just said nawh fuck it well make a new series and involve none of the principal characters. The only person that acts out of character from the original concept of the character in my opinion is Apollo and probably Boomer because she has a real role rather than a red suited star trek extra.
Last edited by Mik on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.