What are you currently reading?

You remember them, they are those things that cavemen used before they invented fire and iPads.
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:41 am

lots of manga, the gunslinger-steven king, the dark tower is awsome compared to his darker tales, but thats just an opinion.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:41 pm

i was a huge fan of that series and let me warn you: It gets laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:59 am

eh its better than the rest of his crap(i dont like steven king, besides his decent fantasy, like dark tower and well talisman and black house)
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:01 am

It's still all bollocks to me.

But i've just finished reading

Forest Mage by Robin Hobb which... isn't a bad book but it didn't go where i wanted it to go. I feel bad for Nevare because he would of made an awesome officer but now he never will.

But it's pretty much a bad book... on par with her real personality Megan Lindolm's books. Just done in a wierd and different way that grates against how i feel Nevares character should go.

Also, finally read The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. Watched the movie, thought i should read the book it was inspired from. It's good... but i think you have to be an dislocated Asian female to get why.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:36 pm

Oh...my...goodness.

We had to read that book AND watch that movie in one of my high school English classes. I don't think I've ever been closer to taking my own life. I seriously can't recall a time where I was filled with more rage and frustration. It's actually maddening to think about now. I'm pissed all over again.

All it is is whiny and overdramatic Chinese women!!!! GAH!
Trigo
Solider

Post by Trigo » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:52 pm

just finished Scattered suns and started reading Of fire and night by Kevin J. Anderson books 4 and 5 of the saga of seven suns.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:14 am

As a literary text to study in Lit or English it wouldn't of been a good choice. The amount of imagery, themes and other things of literary note aren't really there unless you focus specifically on daughter to mother relationships.

Not to diss your english department but I assume they where trying to find a contempory american author to put into your syllabus combined with a media aspect but they did a really shit job. There are much better contempory novels out there that are more accessible to a bunch of teenagers.

I'm sorry that you had to watch the movie and read the book and it bored you witless, but it is a brilliant commentry on the dynamic of the modern western/asian Family.

And do you know how long i've been waiting for someone to bloody go and reply to this topic. I've read stacks of books and couldn't comment because i'd be double posting.

Finally got around to reading those Naomi novik books, The gift and the riddle by allison coogan i think and reread Bronte Jane Eyre.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:04 am

the novik books were good.

(you can post now if you want :D )
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:57 am

I'll post instead.

Since finishing Factotum (which they're also making into a movie, by the way) I'm reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy and Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood. The first one is written beautifully and makes me want to speak with a southern accent. The second one is the best post-apocalyptic cautionary novel I've read in a long time.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:05 am

how was Factotum anyway?
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:58 am

Somehow I thought I mentioned Factotum. A co-worker of mine recommended it when he heard I was quitting, for reasons that he said would become obvious. They did.

The book is extremely fun to read, and I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't completely without a sense of humor. It's about 200 pages long and not difficult. I read it in two days; I couldn't put it down. If you have a dull job and your boss is an idiot, you must read this book.

Unfortunately, the author, Charles Bukowski, is very popular (he's one of those "beat" guys) so used copies of his books are hard to find. I think they reprinted it for the movie, but buying new books is criminally expensive.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:10 am

WTF

I go away for a while and no one posts in this topic. For shame people!

"Alta", "Joust", "Some really gay title i can't remember that involves the word shadow #1" "Some gay title that I can't remember #2 that involves a candle" by Mercedes Lackey

The devil wears Prada. (Why was everyone raving about it so much?)

And as soon as i can find a copy i'll finish Galapogo's by Kurt Vonneget.
BoboTheIceMan
Enforcer

Post by BoboTheIceMan » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:53 am

Kushiel's Avatar. 3rd in the series. Just got done with Kushiel's Dart (the first) and Kushiel's Chosen (the second)
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:55 am

Those books are pretty good Bryan.

I can't wait for the newer series of Jacqueline Carey's to come out.
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:28 am

Galapagos is one of my favorite books.