Movies you seen Recently

The Silver screen, direct to dvd, web only, movie reviews and discussion.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Mon May 15, 2006 8:56 am

I was using Doom in a different context, Mik.

This one's a bit late, but I saw Mission Impossible 3 on the day it came out, I had only seen the 1st one before which I thought was ok, I saw the 2nd the other night and I'm glad I watched that after watching 3, I probably wouldn't have wanted to see it. MI2 is shockingly bad, and if you thought so too, don't let it put you off seeing MI3. It's fantastic! It has a decent plot and the characters are actually characters, not 2D outlines. The science is a lot more convincing, you see them make one of those disguises which were overused in the 2nd film, but it looks great in this one. I'd recommend anyone to go and see it. Simon Pegg had a larger character than I thought he would, and he plays the type of act you'd expect from him, so very funny I nearly pissed myself.

Slither. I wasn't expecting too much greatness from this. I got the impression it was going to be a modern day B-movie from the trailer, which it was. Don't go see this for story, I rate it alongside Eight Legged Freaks. A good fun B-movie to go and watch, which some chuckles thrown in.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon May 15, 2006 10:33 am

I didn't mind MI:2 it was a-typical John Woo, tbh. Leave your mind at the door and watch the pretty gun-mussle flashing and pigeons and the odd dove fly around.

MI:3 was pretty cool, but what the fuck was that ending about it was an entire field of corn and throught the movie Tom Cruise was doing his best Keanu Reeves impression when anyone talked to him.

'LALALALA I'm a pot plant ... it don't have to answer questions because I'm a pot plant.. LALALALA, dude'

I Watched: Silent Hill

Awesome game conversition to cinema, whilst the plot outline was vastly distinct from the games, the style was very much in keeping with Silent Hill. Unlike RE where Mila Joavich runs around as a one woman army, mincing up Zombies which is about the only parellel one can draw from the games .. there is zombies in them. Not that I'm complaing I liked the RE movies but I wouldn't say they where good in terms of faithfulness to the series.

Silent Hill's direction is awesome, it's so unusual with the camera work, I kept thinking this is a weird angle to shoot at, what's he trying to show. It wasn't about 30minutes in I released why, as soon as she got into the Hill it mimicked game camera work. Overheads, panning walking shots to show surrounding, the crooked camera when it's demon time all game elements and how a game would display the scene, however in the Real World it's normal cinema.

The only thing I had beef with was that Sean Bean didn't have much to do and I think he's awesome, he should have had more time, he's barely in it but I heard that his character was only added because the director complained 'there are no men in this movie' with the orginal script, so I guess that's why he's so underused.

The effects are jaw droppingly awesome, the World shredding itself to her torch light , the decay and blood all falling upwards away when it's good time. The Demons are all freaky and weird almost alien, the hospital monsters reminded me of the Thriller video though, think it was the foot stomp at the start, apparently what wasn't CG was played by dancers, so I wasn't far off.

It's soo slow and at 2hours and change you know it's slow, although the director makes use of nearly every moment to display the desolace and the horror of the ghost town, it takes quite some time for the real action to kick in, it's swift and brutal, only to fade to calm again almost as swiftly and we await the next nugget of action. the orginal cut was 3hr 30mins long so can only guess what more is missing.

The final conflict scene is soo emense I can't even put it into words... they owned my face, however I felt the true end of the movie was a WTF moment and ended on a kind of a down note, with a total lack of conclusion this was some what disappointing, it has led to alot of furvent debate with the community of fans, which was prehaps the objective.
Last edited by Mik on Mon May 15, 2006 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Fri May 19, 2006 6:49 pm

The Davinci Code, in a way the hype was justified. As in, this film was bloody good. However in another way it was completely unjustified in the way of King Kong. As in every chav, single parent with kids, and general non cinema goer had to come and watch it too and rattle fucking popcorn in my ears. I tried to catch an early showing too.

I swear if they show that Honda advert documentary in any more films I go and see, I will strangle myself to death. Once was enough for that one thank you.

I'm a bit tired right now, I'll probably write something later about it, along with 16 Blocks.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Sat May 20, 2006 3:30 am

you strangled yourself to death once before?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat May 20, 2006 9:10 am

Maybe he tried but it didn't work. It's physically impossible.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Sun May 21, 2006 1:08 am

I went to see Scary Movie 4 several weeks ago. Mewh it was alright.

Not seen Da Vinci Code yet.
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:56 pm

i just saw superman returns, it was confusing at first and then got better.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:51 am

Watched Da Vinci Code, crap movie.

I couldn't see 75% of the subtitles due to the piss poor projection in the cinema but I roughly knew what they where talking about.

the movie 'ended' abut 20minutes before the credits rolled
Last edited by Mik on Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Star
Whelp

Post by Star » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:41 am

Recent Movies I've seen.

Da Vinci Code: It was honestly a sore disapointment to me, but I don't think it was the film's fault. I'm just the type of person to curl up with a thrilling book and live in my imagination, so when I saw it all play out on scene, I admit that I was rather bored. But then again, I also had to deal with this creep who begged me to go on a date with him, so that probably put a damper on my movie experience. Tom Hanks put on an excellent performance though, just as he always does. His subtle movements really did take me through his thought process when he figured out everything.

** / ****

Superman: Goodness gracious... For a movie all about Superman, Louis Lane really took the spotlight, didn't she? And for what my opinion's worth, Kate Bosworth made a B- attempt at Louis Lane's sassy, witty character. She felt more like a high schooler playing dress up than an actual Daily Planet Star Reporter. I can't say much about Superman's performance since he barely got any... All I saw of that guy was some flying around, lifting heavy things, and his biggest line was a 45 second monologue at the end. However, Lex Luther put on a comical performance, but maybe I'm just used to the seriousness of the Lex Luther in Smallville, but this Lex just didn't cut it for me. I wanted to see him get smashed, just so he'll shut up.

** 1/2 / *****

The Lakehouse: It's a definate chickflick. The time thing was not only confusing, but the ending makes you so confused that you end up hating the movie. They didn't think through the ending that all, and it makes you go, "But what about this, what about that?" So, that's all I can say about that. However, Sandra Bullock pulled a good performance, as always. She's a good actress, but something about her ticks me off a tad bit...

** / ****

The Notebook: Wow, I tried so hard to cry.. I really did. All of my friends expected me to cry. So by the end of the movie, I was squeezing my stage tears out of my eyes. It was a beautiful story, and I loved it. But it wasn't a tear-jearker like A Walk To Remember. However, I still put it down as a great movie. A must see for everyone.

*** / ****

She's That Man: What a cute movie. People said it would be as good as Mean Girls, but it wasn't. However, it gave a lot of laughs. I felt like I was watching a real life fanfiction because the whole "girl pretends to be guy at different school for whatever reason" theme is popular in fanfictions.

** 1/2 / ****
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:33 am

pirates of the carribean 2 was amazing, i highly suggest everyone sees it, it doesnt trail off into goo like the first one this gives much more depth into the ideas of the charecters, you know like what the hell? you know how you pondered so many things in the first one, well this movie explains them, and by golly that made this movie better than the first, even though the first one was good, this one toped it i would say.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:14 am

Pirates of the Snorebian too.

okay MAYBE it's not a good idea to go to a film when you haven't slept in 36 hours but w/e.

So, I go in there and after about 20minutes I start to fall asleep because I'm just that bored, Every 5 minutes or so I wake up cause of some loud noise. After about and hour I wake up abit and there is a squid dude running around, I'm like 'wtf, mate ?' anywho 7 hours later the film finally ends and why I haven't cut my wrists already is beyond me ... god that was shit and it trailed on for ever, in the end I was like 'who cares!' Keirra Knightley was wasted in this and Orlando bloom is THE MOST WOODEN ACTOR EVER!.
Last edited by Mik on Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Star
Whelp

Post by Star » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:00 pm

Drabe wrote:pirates of the carribean 2 was amazing, i highly suggest everyone sees it, it doesnt trail off into goo like the first one this gives much more depth into the ideas of the charecters, you know like what the hell? you know how you pondered so many things in the first one, well this movie explains them, and by golly that made this movie better than the first, even though the first one was good, this one toped it i would say.
I wish I could say the same..

But I watched this movie at a drive-through, and the 9-year-old kids that were molesting eachother in the next car over was FAR more interesting than this movie.

They attempted a more gloomy and morbid atmosphere for this movie, and it just had me going, "How can it be night time for 29023798273902 hours?" Orlando Bloom and Kierra Knightly had a refreshing style of european kicks-butt acting that was really cute in the first movie, but with no new tricks up their sleeve, they became very, VERY redundant. If Johnny Depp wasn't still pulling crazy antics, I would've had to drown myself in the creek next to the drive-through just to save myself from the boredom. A few action scenes were fun, but the ending was the worst thing of my life. I would love to share what I think of the ending, but I don't want to spoil the movie for people who might actually find the film halfway decent. No offence, Drabe.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:08 am

Star, OMG ... word!
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:31 pm

I heard that the entire movie felt more like a set up fpr the next movie, than an actual stand alone piece.

still buying the dvd.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:40 pm

You're all right. It managed to be both awesome and sucky at the same time. I personally thought i got my money's worth from it, and walked away having a few good laughs, which is exactly what i wanted to do.

Yes the ending is very VERY lame, but i say it's worth it.

*****(semi-spoiler)*****

i thought the waterwheel stunt was freaking awesome. I heard people say it was too 'over the top' but come on, that's how the movie is supposed to be. The whole damn thing is over the top, it's the kind of humor they were going for. I thought they nailed it
Last edited by Super Goat Weed on Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.