Faking mental disorders

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:07 pm

I'm quite sick of people who make mental disorders out to be something cool and use it to seek attention.

Especially since the internet age, especially with blogs, people have been using their so called "disorders" to their advantage. Often people find it cool to be "anti-social" (especially when they totally butcher what it means, it's not that you don't like being social, it means you totally disregard people's rights). Another thing that pops up often is depression. Although I know that is frightfully common these days, people are upset for a day or so, and instantly they are depressed, they want to take their life, etc.. Then they end up writing those god-awful poems. Or, they dedicate their who existance to depressing things and moan and groan about how awful their life is when they live perfectly good lives.

You also have those kids who always claim about the voices in their head and that shit. Man, does that get repeative and boring. And on a side note: I hate those shirts just as much.

Another thing you hear about is the cutting issue. People constantly make it out to be some sort of an attention seeking gag because so many people show it off, therefore people who really do it out of depression and other mental issues get shoved aside and not taken seriously. I've even heard about kids who have contests on who can cut the deepest or have the most scars, it's quite sickening. It's sad that we've become so desenstized to the real disorders that it's all taken as a joke anymore.

My brother tells me of this girl he knows of in 9th grade, who sits there and shares her stories of how she's a manic depressive, goes to thearpy and shows her cuts off to everybody. (even though it sounds like stereotyping, she also wears Slipknot and Cradle of Filth shirts and has bad makeup. Why that doesn't surprise me in the least bit, I don't know. Some kids are so predictable.). If that's not for attention seeking, I don't know what is. Once again, stuff like that makes other cutters look like a joke.

I would mention that people also think the above things make you goth, deep or sensitive, but that's just another bastardization of something I don't feel like going into.
Spider Jerusalem
Solider

Post by Spider Jerusalem » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:12 pm

I know the situation firsthand (you probably know who).

Well, you can't avoid the idiots out there on the wild plains of that there interweb.

The problem, mostly, is the school system.

The grouping and fitting in. That really fucks up a lot of people, sadly. Being bullied, left out of social groups and stuff.

They try so desperately to fit in that they probably developed Munchausen by Proxy from reading all that crap over the internet.

"CUTTING IS COOL! I MUST DO THAT, TOO!"

Sad, really.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:56 pm

see now, i know someone to whom that stuff actually applies. Post tramatic stress syndrome (laymans terms, going nuts because of something bad that happened to you) caused her to develop all SORTS of crazy shit. The first doctor she went to was a complete asshole, thought she was faking, and locked her on a unit with a bunch of people who were autistic, MR, and other disorders totaly unrelated to what she had. I'm guessing he wanted to scare her out of faking

What happened was she lied to the therapist to get out. She had a dissasociatitave disorder (becoming un-attatched to reality, sometimes, like her her case, this involves going into a trance like state) halucinations (she saw crouds of people when she was alone, stuff like that) and yes, she heard voices.

unfortunatly because of all the ass munching fakers out there, she was released while still suffering. Her parents later took her to another doctor and she is currently recieveing treatment AT HOME, under supervision of course. She's not to be left alone for any reason.

Moral of the story, fakers fuck it up for everybody.
Saddam
Trainee

Post by Saddam » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:04 pm

A agree entirely with your comments

Those who fake disorders with the aim of getting attention sadden me. I will admit that my scientific knowledge of these disorders is limited however I have come into contact with a number self harmers both fake and real. I all too often hear the phrase "its complicated" or "you wouldn't understand". From the experience I have had around these people one trend emerges - they are all so wrapped up in their insignificant little lives; blocking off everying around them; that they end up focusing on the patheticly mundane nature of their existance. When you consider how much good we can do for others I find these people ultimately selfish.

DO NOT MISUNDERTAND ME - These comments are aimed ONLY at those who are fakers not those with real psychological conditions.
St.Lucifer
Enforcer

Post by St.Lucifer » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:19 pm

a perpetual craving for attention... isn't that in itself a mental condition...not especially serious no but all the same

as for the comments on the lame poems....well i've never been depressed but when i'm feeling down writing poems helps me...so don't diss them yeah....for some people it can help
Saddam
Trainee

Post by Saddam » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:38 pm

I agree, writing poems can be very constructive. That however concerns trying to make positive develpments out of a rather awful situation. Writing poems is not about faking emotions it is about expressing them. Poetry is quite often a very personal form of expression - not usually distributed to anyone else. Those who fake their disorders tend to make it rather obvious.

P.S. I feel my train of thought here is rather poor - I'm not a professional in these matters so I don't want to make a dick of myself - sorry
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:47 pm

No, I'm not against writing poems as a form of expression or an outlet.

But when you post them all over forums and they're the most god-awful and cliche things I ever read, then they tend to get annoying.
Last edited by Morbid Angel on Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cenee
Enforcer

Post by cenee » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:58 pm

Ohhh boy do I know someone who fits that bill! Thank god for blocks, eh?
Narren7
Solider

Post by Narren7 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:49 am

Most ppl who have mental problems never admit it.
Or go to a doctor, most hate doctors in fact.
And people are surpirsed when they learn how fucked up that person really is.
And end up having to see a doctor on a regular basis because they just snapped one day.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:15 am

Sometimes i think being selfish and self centered is what breeds these diseases and syndromes. Think about it.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:34 am

True depression means you find it difficult to motivate yourself to even move,.

People will fake shit to get and easy ride they do it all the time and the only way you can stop it dead is to stop caring about people that are 'sick' in that way which isn't the best of ideas.
Last edited by Mik on Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saddam
Trainee

Post by Saddam » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:03 am

The other way of course could be to find out why they do it in the first place - just a thought <_<
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:08 pm

Perhaps, but it'll take a better man than me to figure out how to sepearte what is real from what is not and solve both problems anyway
Last edited by Mik on Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:08 pm

people don't solve problems, guns solve problems
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:58 pm

Just so we are clear... this topic isn't dedicated to me due to my depression fit about 2 or 3 days ago, it is?