Primal

Everything from Console, PC & Handheld. This is the place your none On-line Graphic related play things go.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:37 am

i gotta say, I'm damn impressed by this games

has anyone else played it?

Square Cambridge, cool to seea british made game on such a high budget...from the makers of medieval
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:31 pm

never heard of it

you ought to post a link or something.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:02 pm

http://www.primalgame.com/

Primal was an excellent game that was far ahead of anything on the market in terms of 3rd person game play.

it also had a decent storyline and you could see that everything was carefully crafted.
the only probablem was that it was short and slightly repetitve in nature.

a couple of things contribute to the lack of popularity of this game.

1) the only advertising im aware of them doing was thru few demo discs...there were magazine ads, but not nearly enuff, and their was no television ads that I remember.

2) BloodRayne. People tend to pair Primal with that game and then state that BloodRayne is the better game. IMO BloodRayne was a giant leap backwards for 3rd person gaming...but when a games major selling point is sex and voilence, horny little boys dont seem to care how crappy it is. idiots.

3) Tombraider. tombraider was admitted the game that kind of started the genre, and for the longest time all the TR games were more or less the same. around the time Primal was coming out the newest TR was on its way, and people decided it would be best to wait for that instead. as it turns out TR: Angel of Darkness was one of the biggest bombs ever, it sucked like a chick in a blond wig with fishnet stockings.
BUT instead of turning to Primal people either a) simply forgot about it by then. or B) still saw TR as the 3rd person gaming standard, and judging by how shitty it was figured that any other game could only be much worse.

as a result of all these factors their was little to no "word of mouth" advertising about it. wich is the strongest form of advertising you can get. so quite simply to quote goatweed.

"never heard of it"
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:58 pm

I heard the mutterings of the storyline and was vastly intriged but having been burned before with 3rd ARP's I avoided it .. damn you shadowman !!
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:47 pm

well, i hated tomb raider, and i liked bloodrane, so how do you think i'd react to this game?
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:49 pm

Yeah, im bored of the fighting already the monsters are the same, take ages to kill etc

second prob i got, it's rather buggy

Iunno if i agree on short, i played a a day and im on the second part, but then again if theres nothing to do after....then yeah

Music is rather cool i gotta say

i hear theres a Primal 2 coming, i hope so, they could better this game

i actually like TR:AOD, its....different, better, much like broken sword in terms of investigating
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:52 pm

that reminds me, the last two 'legacy of kain' games were 3rd person. The main problem with doing updated 3rd person games in 3d is, was, and always has been bad camera angles. for some reason designers like to make user controll of the camera suck, if they integrate it at all.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:23 pm

bad camera angles has been solved actually.

007 everything or nothing.
the camera was controlled by the same means of most 3rd person games were the camera isnt anchored to the players back.

it also allowed the user to adjust the camera himself...but did not require it my any means.

KEY ELEMENT
the camera and AI. all cameras have it.
but what made this one special is that this camera was programed to recognize a bad angle and immediatly correct itself with a smooth transition to a safe angle.

their was also a bit of AI when combat was initiated. the camera would move to a safe angle that showed both you and the person you were shooting at.

in 007EON there is no possible way to get stuck into a bad camera angle.

why does nobody else praise the game for solving it?
simple. the solve is so damn good that you never realize it.

the only reason I did was cuzz a programer im working with was against 3rd person and and was trying to talk me out of it. so we turned the game on and he tried his damndest to get into one....but the AI was constantly working against it. thats when it hit me than I had never found a bad angle in the game.

funny thing about it is that nobody seems to take a lesson from it....not even the same company that solved the issue.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:29 pm

3rd person veiw whilst swimming underwater can suck

Primal has pissed me off tonight on the second world,there fore im not playing it tonight
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:27 am

Ninja Gaiden did allright, you just had to tap a button and it would self-correct, but it was a pain in the ass to get used to.