who made this discorvery

The hub of Aura activity, the cortex that binds the forum together.
adok
Solider

Post by adok » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:28 pm

Coal is a rcck so most poeple would automatically asume it wouldnt burn so who the hell though hang on a minute lets burn the rocks.

it may seem like an odd question and quite frankly it is. but i want to know this, why do we burn rocks. why do rocks burn?
WildCard
Not-A-Deserter

Post by WildCard » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:30 pm

I have a better question.....Who Cares?
adok
Solider

Post by adok » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:32 pm

well obviously i do you fool
WildCard
Not-A-Deserter

Post by WildCard » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:53 pm

you killed a good running joke *claps* i hope you're happy :P

oh and coal is a fossil fuel that's why it burns. albeit a rather dirty fossil fuel which isn't used all that much anymore considering there are far better ways to use things to start up a furnace or a fire, etc. not many countries other than maybe a few european nations and mainly russia actually use that stuff anymore.
however, you'll find most barbeques are fueled with charcoal.

sadly i think the main reason we "burn" coal is that it presented a form of energy in a time of need. now it's a different time of need and people focus on gasoline to run vehicles. so i think the best question is, why does humankind feel the need to exploit nature?
Last edited by WildCard on Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adok
Solider

Post by adok » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:01 pm

sorry for killing your joke.

so now we have established how it burns and why it burns, and coal is still widespread in scotland. their is a distribution company around where i live and it is the richest company in the area. and my little town used to have nine coal mines. but who dicovered that this particular rock burns
WildCard
Not-A-Deserter

Post by WildCard » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:15 pm

http://www.coaleducation.org/Ky_Coal_Facts...ory_of_coal.htm

dull, boring and completely uninteresting......i was just so bored though that i actually looked it up.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:48 pm

they probably thought(cos it is) it looked like charcoal
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:50 pm

I would of thought it was probably from an incident where someone had a flame or simaler around a coal deposit and the natural gas usually found around it exploded and set the coal a light...

and anyway... people burn faeces...why not rocks?
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:22 pm

I always wondered about things like how people knew what mushrooms and plants to eat and what not to eat? I reckon it was a trial and error thing. ;)

Or what foods to combine to make certain dishes. Especially when some things sound like they would be disgusting together, but turn out so good.
Last edited by Morbid Angel on Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:39 pm

like jam baked beans and cheese on toast, sounds minging, bloody marvelous tho
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:19 pm

who the fuck thinks up to mix animal fat and ashes to make soap?

these things just happen some times
Akrid
Solider

Post by Akrid » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:11 am

this is where Chemistry comes into play, break down common elements and what the people knew about the elements at the time, but of course at the time they didn't have microscopes or anything of that nature, so they developed alchemy. it's all about knowing about the properties of substances and bases, then the trial and error of mixing them together. It's human nature to experiment with things to see what they do, so I imagine they did come across coal burning by just seeing what happened when you threw this big ol' chalky rock in fire.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:08 pm

the animal fat as soap one comes from the fact that women found there clothes easier to wash at one end of a river. They found out why later the animals for slaghter where done upstream.
adok
Solider

Post by adok » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:10 pm

interesting i really doubted i would get anyone to talk in this thread, buty it just goes to show how moch of a people magnet i am everyone loves me. its either that or you people have no lives, and to say that would be offensive. and im sure you all have very fuffiling lives so i must be loved by all

go me