Movies you seen Recently

The Silver screen, direct to dvd, web only, movie reviews and discussion.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Re: Movies you seen Recently

Post by Mik » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:40 pm

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans;

Over all, this was the best of the series imo, though the first is a close call, they actually spent time developing the characters for once. They took by far the two best acting performances from Underworld, Viktor and Lucian, and slammed them together for a prequel.

Given that we mostly know the story and how it's going to turn out because we've watched the first movie, it's surprisingly enjoyable, with some new and enjoyable information to learn, Like how Raas becomes Lucians second in command pretty much and how he was a total badass throughout the entirely of his life, pre and post wolfage.

There are two main Werewolf 'breeds' in this film, the Lucian breed and the William Breed.

Len 'I'm a bit of a tool' Wiseman decided, in his infinite wisdom, to make the Lucian breed look 'cat-like' this is the primary wolf model we see throughout Underworld and Underworld: Evoultion. William, whom is first seen in Evolution looks more like a conventional wolf and I'm 34% happier with this model and it's far more abundant in this movie. However, neither model has a fucking tail.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:46 am

The Dark Knight.

yeah I know, I'm late....

EXCELLENT

best batman film ever.
it really gets into the heart of what I've always thought batman is really all about.

Psychology.

Thank goodness Nolan isn't afraid of going there, and even more thanks for him clearly stating that batman is not a hero, or at least a different kind than people oft make him out to be.

The joker was great here, and its really too bad ledger cant do it again, because the role is still unfinished. For it to be 100% in my eyes you have to get the character to break down and have a serious WTF? moment.
As good as he was in the role. I'm not one of those people whose going to say it cant be done without him, because it clearly can. The character was around long before Ledger was born, and hell be around as long as theirs a batman series.

I hate when people say ledger added something new to the role.
because honestly.... he didn't.
And THAT is why he was good in it, he followed the characters blueprint to the last detail. he didn't take anything away, and he definitely didn't add anything to it.
aside from that, I think its more to do with the writing than the actor.

kudos for a good performance and all.
but seriously...he can be replaced....and fairly easily, as long as the next guy doesn't deviate from the blueprint.

Star of the film was actually 2face imo.
Reaping-Sorrow
Scavenger

Post by Reaping-Sorrow » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:41 am

kaos wrote:The Dark Knight.

yeah I know, I'm late....

EXCELLENT

best batman film ever.
it really gets into the heart of what I've always thought batman is really all about.

Psychology.

Thank goodness Nolan isn't afraid of going there, and even more thanks for him clearly stating that batman is not a hero, or at least a different kind than people oft make him out to be.

The joker was great here, and its really too bad ledger cant do it again, because the role is still unfinished. For it to be 100% in my eyes you have to get the character to break down and have a serious WTF? moment.
As good as he was in the role. I'm not one of those people whose going to say it cant be done without him, because it clearly can. The character was around long before Ledger was born, and hell be around as long as theirs a batman series.

I hate when people say ledger added something new to the role.
because honestly.... he didn't.
And THAT is why he was good in it, he followed the characters blueprint to the last detail. he didn't take anything away, and he definitely didn't add anything to it.
aside from that, I think its more to do with the writing than the actor.

kudos for a good performance and all.
but seriously...he can be replaced....and fairly easily, as long as the next guy doesn't deviate from the blueprint.

Star of the film was actually 2face imo.
think the joker kicked ass but thats all it was. batman was a whiney bitch and that was basically all he did. two face was good after the "transformation" but to get to that he's a damned lawyer. just one of the millions of bullshit artists around. waiting for the movie to be interesting and not seem forced took forever. think it could have been infinitely better if they left all that courtroom crap which seemed to take up most of the movie and went with some better developement of batman or joker. extremely disappointing
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:05 pm

The whole point of two face is that he wasn't just another bullshit artist, he was a man who fully believed in the law and justice and was a public face to the war on crime in Gotham.

Johnny is right he was the real core of this film, the joker was just a catalyst and a side plot.

I'm in agreement about Ledger too, he was good no doubt about it. People said Nicholson couldn't be topped and I feel Ledger did, it's not really fair to judge the two performances side by side but bleh I am.

Bale's was the best acting performance in the movie by a fucking mile, he played three very different characters Batman, Bruce Wayne Persona and Bruce Wayne Hero. He made the film imo.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Alien versus Predator. Not the first time I've seen it, I remember writing about it here last time. I just happen to like it, despite what some other people have to say about it. :P
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:02 am

Ed likes Alien vs Predator. Even has the game. Me on the other hand think it sucks major donkey dick but then I don't like bullshit versus films all that much.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:10 am

I like it,
I thought it was good, and I think I like it as a new direction. of course I haven't yet seen 2.
but I think both franchises as solo entities are pretty exhausted as far as films go.

The combined effort of AVP just seems like a good idea to use those concepts in a fresh manner.

Otherwise you'd have to go through the 'reboot' process, that the movie industry seems to love lately.
(they're trying to reboot Conan and the crow.) and I think the older films are a little too classic for anyone to really accept a reboot at this time.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:19 pm

I actually didn't mind AVP, and i actually watched AVP2 (fucking freaked me FUCKING OUT ARRRRRGGGGHHH!). I don't do paranormal/alien movies well...i have an overly active gullible imagination. I don't need extra stimulus to freak me out when i go to the toilet in the middle of the night. Shadowy trees and possums enough for me >.<
To my understanding the AVP is a standalone world storyline wise in literature. I remember reading up about it on Wikki.
I watched Slumdog Millionaire yesterday, I really really enjoyed it, I didn't think i was going to but it had drive, focus and whilst i didn't 'love' the characters i felt connected enough to them to want to see what happened in the end. I felt that Salim's character developement was just lacking...a small something. But i guess they really wanted you to second guess his true motivations, loves and nature. Bits felt predictable ("cheating") so obvious it was almost insulting. It's definately worth watching in my opinion. I liked the bollywood dancing in the end.

Toshi was in India for about a month last year and he thinks it's a true enough depiction of India. I wouldn't know.

Though i have to say.... i really wanted to like Latika...but i found apart of me felt cold towards her.

Ledger won his oscar.
I still really like the dark knight. I didn't like Harvy Dents character it just felt too forced. But i had tears after the bomb scene. I thought it was quite a poignant film, not the inner turmoils of bruce wayne or the other characters but of humanity. The ferry's is what i mean. That resonated with me more than the inner conflict of Dent, Wayne and the others.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:08 pm

Watched Hairspray tonight. Have to say I was really impressed. Got me and Ed laughing in stitches at some points. Never thought it would be Ed's kinda movie, but then he does like Grease. But yeah if you like piss take musicals, and Grease, this may be right up your street, and then more. It does have it's serious moments too, it deals with racisim and that. But John Travolta in a dress and fatsuit? Lol, who wouldn't wanna see that?
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon May 18, 2009 7:45 pm

Been on a film watching spree.

Twilight - Marna's been reading the books at a scary speed. She got me to watch the film. It was okay. I quite liked Edward but I found the girl who played Bella to be a bit weak. I know she's supposed to be a little odd but there's a difference between odd and expressionless.

Van Hellsing - I'd never seen it and didn't even know it had Hugh Jackman until now. I was expecting it to be more serious. I didn't really like the choice of actor for Dracula. It was okay for what it was, I guess, but I was looking for more.

Hero - I was expecting it to be some epic thing. It totally wasn't and I liked that. It shows how much can be done with a very simple opening scene - the guy simply being within 10 paces of the king.

House of Flying Daggers - After Hero, I guessed that probably wouldn't be some epic thing but it seemed different again. It's more of a love story and the ending is horribly sad. I liked it though. The fight scenes were particularly good and I don't normally care for that.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu May 21, 2009 3:26 pm

I'm going to make a fantasy martial arts movie one day and the first Chinese fuck to fly is getting eaten by a dragon punch animation
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Fri May 22, 2009 5:11 pm

I watch quite a bit of them.

overall theirs actually not much flying in them.
I think the few that have been very big outside of china have given the wrong impression.

I was completed taken with House of Flying daggers...till just before the end.
After the big reveal I just hated the whole thing.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Mon May 25, 2009 8:45 pm

Tremors. Loved it as a kid and third time seeing it now. It's good for a laugh but I don't think I'll watch it again! My friends told me about the two sequels a few years back and I've always wondered what they're like. I was amazed to find out just now that since that conversation, they made another sequel and a TV series, and they're planning yet another sequel. That's just mad.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon May 25, 2009 10:01 pm

I love tremors.

its silly, but its not zombies or aliens.

you should see tremors 2 at least.
its equally fun.

hadnt seen 3 or 4.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Tue May 26, 2009 7:49 pm

I don't see the satisfaction in watching films like that. Ed says that the first movie was meant to be serious, but it's totally stupid to me. Sure it's funny in certain parts, but meh, nothing special to me.