Shakespeare

You remember them, they are those things that cavemen used before they invented fire and iPads.
Phoenix
Whelp

Post by Phoenix » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:10 pm

i don't like shakespeare i think sometimes what the hell is he on about and i am studying his story "much ado about nothing"
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:12 pm

his works are full of meaning and so much sexual inuendo its scary, also, hes thought to have been gay
Phoenix
Whelp

Post by Phoenix » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:17 pm

to be honest i think he is a pile of ball
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:34 pm

I used to think that, Fred, but actually they're brilliant. I wish I'd never doubted them. His stories fall into several categories. His comedies are very funny. They suddenly made me realise that the people of that time weren't boring and humourless as I had previously imagined. I'm not sure what kind of story Much Ado About Nothing is. Just remember some of these...

thou = you
art = are
thy = your
shalt = shall
lest = unless
ye = you

I think that's most of em.
Last edited by Chewi on Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:47 pm

you gota member them? comes naturaly to me *feels wierd now*
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:20 pm

Well me too, more or less, but I didn't know them when I was his age.

Actually ask your teacher if you can see just a little of a film production of it because that really helps to put things in perspective. I had to act out a small part of Macbeth once and I realised that I'd been completely clueless when I saw some of the film.
Last edited by Chewi on Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix
Whelp

Post by Phoenix » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:35 pm

i dont mean the language i mean he is talking out of his ass
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:02 pm

talking out of his arse? by expressing his views on stuff, i dont think so
adok
Solider

Post by adok » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:34 pm

i have the complete work sitting on my shelf, never read them but they make me look really intelligent anf cultured. but from what i have read, yeah its overrated
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:39 am

overated? yes.
still good anyway? yes

and quotable too.

But did he actually write them? we dont know.

from what I understand he never wrote the plays and only performed them. sombody else actually wrote them down based on the play that they saw.

Which leaves lots of room to wonder if somthing may have been modded at all.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:13 am

I find that shakespear is something that you got to give time for and a little maturity too. It also helps that if in class people actually get roles and at least know how to perform them. That's what we did in class whenever we had shakespear, different people got assigned to be ophelia, hamlet, polonius etc etc. You have to remember that it's not a book it's a play. It's nuances and humour are conveyed not with the worlds necessarily written but how it's delivered.

Is the version of much ado about nothing have the notes on the side or in the back of the book to clarify stuff for you? Not so much the language like James mentioned but explaining some of the referrences and stuff.

It's not for everyone that's true, but it's not like monkeys wrote it.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:10 am

You got decode most of it, it's like reading a book ina different language everything has to be though on like two levels, the basic level and then an advanced one, taking into account word plays and litte referances etc. Shakespeare is cool, Henry V is a turbo play.
runawaygurl
Not-A-Deserter

Post by runawaygurl » Sun May 29, 2005 3:12 am

About the gay comment, most of his sonnets are thought to have been directed toward men.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon May 30, 2005 4:37 pm

I remember the first time I read MacBeth, dispite most of the language being hard to grasp, I still enjoyed it.
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:35 pm

i'm interested in shakespear, but at first it can be tricky to understand what the story is going for. like in the merchant of venice, in the begining i didn't know how all the stupid love competitions were going to go, and some of his wordings can be tricky. also they are very brutal and are quiet interesting, you learn fun stuff like history and it is just fun to see how diffrent life was back then compared to now. also i love the language used in shakespear especially in king lear so many slang words came from it like chill. its awsome.
Last edited by Drabe,ThePirateking on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.