good books

You remember them, they are those things that cavemen used before they invented fire and iPads.
Trigo
Solider

Post by Trigo » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:20 am

Discworld and lord of the rings r favs of mine and all the warhammer 40k books i've read so far r very good.
Kimiko
Whelp

Post by Kimiko » Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:57 pm

I'll try to keep that in mind...but i dunno if i am going to pic k up another lord of the rings book anytime soon =/
BläckRose
Civillian

Post by BläckRose » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:51 am

Lord of the Rings was sort of hard to get through... It just rambled on for the first 3-4 chapters. But after that, they got really good.

I've been re-reading the Anne Rice Vampire Series lately and realising again why she's awesome. I've always been a BIG fan. The best book from the series definately was 'Interview with the Vampire'. Heh.
Kimiko
Whelp

Post by Kimiko » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:56 pm

BläckRose wrote:Lord of the Rings was sort of hard to get through... It just rambled on for the first 3-4 chapters. But after that, they got really good.

I've been re-reading the Anne Rice Vampire Series lately and realising again why she's awesome. I've always been a BIG fan. The best book from the series definately was 'Interview with the Vampire'. Heh.
The last book I read was Patricia Cornwell's The Body Farm, which was a good book, I started to read Point of Orgin by her but then I forgot I had it and then it was over due at the library so I had to return it cuz I couldn't find my wallet that had my library card in it...but I have the wallet again....yay
cenee
Enforcer

Post by cenee » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:08 pm

Well I'm gonna breathe some life back into this very GOOD, yet very OLD thread here with some recommendations of my own.

But first I'd begin by saying to Ben... What do you mean Eddings is juvenille in nature? Are we talking about the same author here? Personally I find Tolkien's Ring trilogy to be more juvenille in nature than anything David or Leigh have ever written. All of their books are quite heavy in historical and religious overtones. And they are all highly recommended by me. So nyuh. :P

A little bit more than 5, but honestly it just can't be helped. So sue me. ;)

Ladies and Gentlemen, submitted for your approval in no particular order (except for the 1st one listed... that's a MUST read IF you can find it. It's pretty old.)

Rachel Maddux - The Green Kingdom

Robert McCammon - Swans Song

Meredith Ann Pierce - The DarkAngel Trilogy

S.E. Hinton - The Outsiders

Anne Rice - The Mummy

David & Leigh Eddings. (all 20 or so) The Belgariad, The Mallorean, The Elenium, and The Tamuli

Stephen Kings - The Dark Tower Series. (all 7 of them)

Stephen Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (though personally I only recommend the first 3... after that the series blew chunks)

Roger Zelazny - The Chronicles of Amber. (all 10 of them)

Let's not forget about Kings brother in terror, Dean Koontz. And for fantasy/scifi goodness we can't leave without popping off a few good men, like... Ray Bradbury, Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, Steven Barnes, Jack Chalker, Lawerence Watt-Evans... and the list goes on.

And for light hearted goodness... just about anything by Piers Anthony. Though if you're gonna read one of his Xanth novels I'd recommended starting from the beginning.
Spike
Alive

Post by Spike » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:14 pm

finally finished Interview With the Vampire and I'm not too sure why it took me over a year to read, I plugged and plugged away but finally finished it, and fuck the last 45 or so pages were a damn good read.

I'll probably read the next in the series soon enough, right now I'm hopping into Stephen King's Skeleton Crew and currently into 'The Mist.'

so far, damn good....
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:59 am

I read the Tamuli books last week, I found them very enjoyable.

I can see see what he may mean by all that 'Stragen!' and 'oh be nice' nonsense that was going on, but I just put it down to it culutral thing with the people. Mel and I talked about this a week or so ago, she made a very good comment 'He builds worlds' I thought that was right on the money.
berwick upon tweed
Solider

Post by berwick upon tweed » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:06 pm

the unbearable lightness of being. milan kundera. good book.
Nepthys104
Civillian

Post by Nepthys104 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:08 pm

Hmm...heh, if I were to post the book I'm reading right now, you'd all kill me. o.o So I won't.

Princess by Jean Sasson

This book is NOT a fairy tale or a redone one. This book, instead, is about a princess in Saudi Arabia who told her writer friend her life story as to make the rest of the world aware of the mistreatment of women in Muslim countries.

Land Of The Firebird: The Beauty of Old Russia by Suzanne Massie

Normally I don't like the history of Russia, but this book manages to make it interesting. My aunt brought it with her to Russia (she lived there for a year), and the people there didn't even know their own history. They began to copy down pages and pages of the book by hand. Makes you appreciate all those history classes, no?

Animal Farm by George Orwell and The Giver by Louis Lowry

Utopia cannot be achieved. 'Nuff said.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Any book reader should appreciate this book. Scary thing is, you can see people slipping into the mentality of the characters...
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:12 pm

*adds those to his mental list* I already intend to read Animal Farm but haven't got round to it yet. Thanks.
Nepthys104
Civillian

Post by Nepthys104 » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:05 am

Sure thing. ^_^ I have to read Animal Farm for school, but I saw the movie. I am also reading ahead...<.< Yeah. My parents are both intellectuals: my dad has the political and historical mind and my mom has the scientific and the mathamatic mind, so they tend to rub off on my reading list...though I find that my father's tastes have more influence.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:15 am

Did you read 1984?
Nepthys104
Civillian

Post by Nepthys104 » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:35 am

It's on my to-read list. Definitely. I'm gonna finish reading a certain book which will not be named first.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:04 am

it the un-named book 'spot goes to town', man, that book owned .. such a suprise at the end

Utopia can be achieve just not by pigs.
Last edited by Mik on Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:40 am

I just finished Snow Crash which was a very cool read. Somehow I feel that the average Aura member would like it.

Before that I read Walden, which was awesome. It was very difficult to read, especially near the end when he tends to go on for ten pages at a time about how ice melts or something. It's worth it though. It's very profound on a very fundamental level.

I just picked up a collection of stories by Henry James, including The Turn of the Screw, which I read about ten years ago. Most of the story is lost to my memory, but I remember I loved it. Unless I've completely forgotten the story, it's creepy as hell. I intend to read it in a dark room, by myself, with the windows open. Until then I'm digesting some of the other stories in the collection.