The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo (series)

You remember them, they are those things that cavemen used before they invented fire and iPads.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo (series)

Post by Mik » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:14 pm

I just finished this series.

I think Melena, off of old-skool Aura fame, actually recommended them to me a billions years ago when I still answered my MSN, 6 or 7 years later I finally did.

I'd watched both the Swedish and English versions of the film, so I skipped the first one, I tend to have a hard time reading something when I know the outcome. Rather ironic, for a man that religiously rereads select books about once a year, to the point were these tomes are now tattered bits of paper loosely held together. Perhaps in hindsight maybe it is just a issue of; I know this stuff, I need to know what happens next.

The movie was slow and methodical but ultimately pretty darn good, I'd certainly give it another view if it was on TV but I'm not fussed if I never see it again.

So, anyway the main character is either this Isabeth chick or super-pro reporter Mikael, both characters appealed to me, I know a few Scandinavian dudes and I have no problem both visualising Mikael and believing him as a character as pimp as he may seem.

Isabeth is this emo-gothesque hacker chick with a terrible social skills. She's rude, ignorant, obnoxious and a bit of cunt if I'm honest, can't help but like her all the same.

The story evolves so naturally, they pull a thread looking into some sex trafficking story and shit just snowballs and snowballs until AVALANCHE.

I feel like the end was a bit too fanficy, everyone paired off and had the super happy ending-ish. I felt like they could have went a bit darker in tone and at the same time I wish some of the pairs were different so I'd get my version of the turbo super happy ending.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Re: The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo (series)

Post by kaos » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:26 pm

I have the first book. had it for a few months and hadnt cracked it open. ended up watching the new film a few weeks back. So its hard for me to get beyond page 2.
Isabeth is this emo-gothesque hacker chick with a terrible social skills. She's rude, ignorant, obnoxious and a bit of cunt if I'm honest, can't help but like her all the same.
this is what interests me.
nobody makes a main character from that. and when the do, they usually end up going straight at the end and turning into polly pure heart at the end or some bullshit. I don't get the impression that salander would do that, she seems genuine that way.

if she does please dont tell me.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Re: The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo (series)

Post by Mik » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:17 pm

Not really, she never really gets any better, she's the same character throughout.