alice

You remember them, they are those things that cavemen used before they invented fire and iPads.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:53 am

Has anyone here actually read Alice In wonderland & Through The Looknig Glass?

I'm thinkin' about it.
but I'm hoping its has more to offer than just what people generally already know about it.

its not one of those incognito satire books on politics or religion is it?
cuzz seriously I'm not trying to hear all that noise right now.
I just want some head swimmin fantasy sequences.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:51 am

I haven't but I bet it'd be a damn good read.
Trigo
Solider

Post by Trigo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:27 pm

Just finished reading Where Demons Dare by Kim Harrison. good book and keeps the stroy for the other 5 books going well.
Squirrel
Vagabond

Post by Squirrel » Sat May 24, 2008 9:49 pm

Johnny, for a children's book it is fantastic. It is unpredictable and is very, very strange. Not everyone likes it for those things. It's a shame Terry Pratchett doesn't like this book. But I find it funny that it was banned in Hunan, China:
"Wikipedia" wrote:In 1931, the book was banned in Hunan, China because "animals should not use human language" and it "put animals and human beings on the same level.
As I say, I love this book. The Disney movie is shite in all comparison, there is waay too much that has been left out.

The sequel to Wonderland is Through The Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, is no where near as good as the first. It makes no reference to the original, but is a kind of mirror like image to Wonderland. Wonderland is set in summer (4th May which is Alice's birthday), whereas Through the Looking-Glass is set the day before Bonfire Night (4th November). Also where Wonderland took the theme of deck of cards, Looking-Glass took on the theme of chess. In the book are many mirror image themes, time running backwards, opposites and so on.

If anything, I prefer the game: American McGee's Alice (which is a thrid adventure for Alice, but more twisted). I have played this on the playstation and it is fantastic. Although when I sold my PS2 I sold all the games. Now I wish I haven't. But I am looking at buying the PC version. It is a great game. Also the film adaptation of this game is to be released on July of this year. I heard Sarah Michelle Gellar is to play the lead role. I really hope they don't fuck this movie, although they propably will.

Enjoy ya readings. B)

P.S To answer your question whether it has references to political and religous undertones. None that I have seen when I read the books. Although last time I read the books I was 18. It does have references to Maths, the French language, classical language and history. I am not gonna say anymore, just gonna leave you to figure it all out lol :P
Last edited by Squirrel on Sat May 24, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.