talent

From those killer tunes that you heard 6 years ago in the back of a mini bus, heading into Utah, or the songs that are on the radio now. This is the place. (No R&B please, because it doesn't exist)
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:54 pm

yeah there was, you didn't hear the real percussionists bitching though. I always hated electric drums. They make a nice effect once in a while, and yeah i can understand the reason for them, but you CANNOT learn to play on them, not properly anyway.
BläckRose
Civillian

Post by BläckRose » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:21 am

I can play pretty much any instrument you hand me... Since I started super young, it's easy for me to learn.
I also sing... Here I come Broadway!
adok
Solider

Post by adok » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:12 pm

kay so all i need is a soundproof bunker where i will not be killed for playing aucoustic drums
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:16 pm

dude, just play 'em when nobody is around, or play them quietly. nobody said you have to beat the crap out of them. Besides, learning to have a light touch is more then essential when you're learning to play. Andybody can kick a drumset's ass, but it takes some skill and controll to play it quietly, and it comes in very handy.

Besides, you're basicly working on technique when you first start out. Get comfortable with holding the sticks, work on your aim (obviously you want to hit the center of the drum head) that sort of thing. If you've got rythem at all, the rest is easy.
adok
Solider

Post by adok » Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:00 am

cool thanks for the advice. but i still dont know cos the aucoustic still is a bit loud. so mabye ill leave it for a bit.
Chewi
Anti-Hero

Post by Chewi » Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:50 pm

I'm getting a guitar and amp very soon! It's about fucking time too. Before I even got here, I decided that one thing I would do before I graduate is learn to play guitar. I dunno if I'll be much good by the time I leave but at least it's a start.

I also play the piano and have got up to grade 5... just about. These days, I'm so rusty, I'm probably more like grade 3 unless it's a piece I used to play a lot. While I could play complicated pieces, I was always very error-prone, which meant that playing in public was a big problem for me. I did a few times but it rarely went without a hitch. I was always very envious of those kids who played everything flawlessly but I guess they did spent shit-loads of time on it.

I can still play the recorder as well. :P
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:29 pm

adok wrote:cool thanks for the advice. but i still dont know cos the aucoustic still is a bit loud. so mabye ill leave it for a bit.
there's pads you can get that you put on the heads to muffle the sound. I really have to strongly suggest NOT learning on an electric. It really will make playing the real thing rather difficult.
adok
Solider

Post by adok » Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:52 pm

and i trust you know what youre talking about, so with that and the price inmind i have decided not to buy an electric kit. and if i ever do get drums it will be an acoustic kit. but not at the moment i now have the desire to get a resonator guitar.
Sandman
Civillian

Post by Sandman » Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:02 pm

I've been playing guitar for a while, i started on electric because i wanted to ROCK OUT, but i switched over to my acoustic last year because it was easier to just pick up and play in my dorm. Once i switched back to electric i was sooo much faster, it was amazing.

I got a set of turntables last summer and i've been learning to scratch and mix on those too.