Punk rock?

From those killer tunes that you heard 6 years ago in the back of a mini bus, heading into Utah, or the songs that are on the radio now. This is the place. (No R&B please, because it doesn't exist)
Orpheus
Civillian

Post by Orpheus » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:45 pm

What is punk rock?

In the days of bands like The Clash, Sex pistols, Black Flag etc Punk rock was all about refusing to conform and going against what society said was acceptable.

I mean, songs like white riot say it all.

But lets face it, punk rock nowadays is all the same and if you want to be a punk you have to conform to the kinda of clothes that "Punk rockers" wear.

WTF?
Wulf
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Wulf » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:17 pm

you need to wear punk clothes to be a punk...? :mellow:
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:26 pm

yea,apperently,im not apunk rocker,and i dont liek the music at all,its not even any form of rock,but the change is disgraceful

here Orpheus you need to catch up *gives link*
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:39 pm

You can't really define punk by clothes or that type of stuff. There is a punk style that derived from the 1970's, but if you are a punk band and you don't have that style, it doesn't automatically make you not punk. I base it around the sound and the original purpose of it more than anything.

Basically is was a deviation away from the rock music that was popular at that time, for kids that were sick of disco and classic rock.

But you can't really call rock today punk, especially when it sells millions of records each.
Last edited by Morbid Angel on Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:43 pm

/looks baffled*

yea,but if i went to a bar and said i wasa punk dressed a Charva,i would get laughed outta there,i thin he means,if you dont dress like a punk,other punks wont class you as a punk,

rock is nothing to do with punk...like gothic has nothing to do with metal
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:53 pm

Okay...

So the fact they have a full band doesn't make it rock music?

Gothic rock and gothic metal, ever hear of that?

Not only that, The Cure's earlier works are often classified at punk, but their look was more gothic. Like I said, you can't base it on looks alone. Can't help it if there are "punk elitists" out there.

Anyway, band's like The Ramones, wore a very simple leather jacket and jeans look. Not very "punk". Andrew Eldritch of the Sisters of Mercy (a very prominant gothic rock band in the 1980's/early 1990's wore the same, basic look. Further proving the fact that look doesn't always make a band punk, or any other genre.
Last edited by Morbid Angel on Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:01 pm

rock=rolling stones,led zeplin,iron madain

its just a name one person(who is wrong) may calla band gothic rock,but infact its got nothing in common with rock music other than its a full band using instruments....saying Cradle of shi-i mean filth sound like iron madain is like saying cornflakes taste like cheese,there fore is just gothic

metal is just metal,it sounds nothing like rock,then you get speed metal,death metal,they are different types,its not calling it rock

but,ill agree on generalisation when someone askes what kinda music i like i just say rock,its much easier than saying well..[long list]
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:11 pm

Rock is an extremely, extremely broad term. And Iron Maiden is heavy metal, just to clarify. And Led Zeppelin also had metal elements to their music.

If you want to be anal about it, you could consider rock to be primarily from the 1950's, as a blend of rhythm and blues, and country music.

And these days, anything that had derived from the rock and roll movement of the 1950's could be considered rock. You wouldn't have Elvis, Beatles, Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, Cradle of Filth, Nirvana, Sex Pistols, Ministry, Bauhaus, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, etc. None of those bands would probably exist if the movement never occured because all of those bands were inspired or had evolved from one before them.

Thank god for that.
Last edited by Morbid Angel on Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:21 pm

the 50's was rock and roll
Spider Jerusalem
Solider

Post by Spider Jerusalem » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:31 pm

OK, here's something for you to chew on.

Music naturally evolves.

Look at the Beatles. Their music changed drastically between Help! and Rubber Soul. Their music evolved further in Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's, then evolved even further on the White Album.

The Beatles' music changed, evolved, devolved and evolved again, but they were still a Rock band throughout their career.
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:32 pm

Shin wrote:the 50's was rock and roll
Sadistic wrote:anything that had derived from the rock and roll movement of the 1950's could be considered rock. 
Last edited by Morbid Angel on Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:46 pm

yes,rock and roll evolved into rock,no longer having the roll,rock evolved into metal,punk,gothic etc,punk and metal merged into emo,metal grew nu-metal onto of it

therefore,none of those genres actually being rock....but this could go on all day,poor guy wanted a punk disscusion,lets get back on topic eh?

EDIT: also on that note,y'all get your fucking asses in his welcome thread huh?.
Last edited by Matt on Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Orpheus
Civillian

Post by Orpheus » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:57 pm

I see what you are sayin but what i was tryin to say was that the original idea and concept of punk rock has been betrayed by what punk rock has become.

Its that fact that people seem to need to conform to a certain style to be a punk rocker and that's not what the original idea was.
adok
Solider

Post by adok » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:06 pm

ah well now it gets into that to be a punk rocker you have to be a nonconformist and by being a noncomformist to be a punk then you are conforming to the image of the nonconformist punk and therefor arenot by definition a punk. i think that we need to forget about image and all the shit that comes with music and just enjoy it i like all punk modern or the original stuff.