American Idiot

From those killer tunes that you heard 6 years ago in the back of a mini bus, heading into Utah, or the songs that are on the radio now. This is the place. (No R&B please, because it doesn't exist)
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:01 pm

ok it's really getting fucking old now

i just downloaded a few tracks of the green day album, it's all fucking Bush bashing. Now given i'm no fan myself, but i'm so fucking SICK of hearing about it, i mean god DAMN, if it isn't bush bashing songs, it's bush bashing videos, or bush bashing news stories, or bush bashing sitcoms, or bush bashing fucking DJ's on the radio. I'm just SICK OF IT.
Morbid Angel
Solider

Post by Morbid Angel » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:19 pm

Welcome to my world for the last year or so.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:01 pm

Super Goat Weed wrote:ok it's really getting fucking old now

i just downloaded a few tracks of the green day album, it's all fucking Bush bashing. Now given i'm no fan myself, but i'm so fucking SICK of hearing about it, i mean god DAMN, if it isn't bush bashing songs, it's bush bashing videos, or bush bashing news stories, or bush bashing sitcoms, or bush bashing fucking DJ's on the radio. I'm just SICK OF IT.
hehehehe,someone seems to have taken on the approach forementioned in the "who who will you vote for" thread about getting a out a message,well not someone,everyone... :lol:

still dont like greenday,
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:30 pm

I'm glad I have no strong likes or dislikes of bands or music genre's.

I dont mind the song, haven't listened to the albulm though.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:49 pm

I don't agree with calling music coming out now punk, the whole point of it is lost now.
St.Lucifer
Enforcer

Post by St.Lucifer » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:13 pm

Bogey wrote:I don't agree with calling music coming out now punk, the whole point of it is lost now.
true however, greenday were around when it still haf meaning and what they do still has meaning and anything they do in the future will aswell
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:57 pm

That's bollocks, punk was a revolution in music. It's not a set blueprint bands use today. Just because they may have been around during the end of the punk era doesn't mean they still produce it. Unless they're still creating revolutionary music that's breaking the mold. Which they aren't, they sound the same.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:24 am

Even when greenday first became mainstream, it was more of a blend of emo and alternative music played at punk speed, not punk music.
TheenD
Trainee

Post by TheenD » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:10 am

Well I decided peruse Allmusic.com and found Greenday listed under "Punk Revival"....this is what they have to say about Punk Revival genre

"During the early '90s -- nearly a full 20 years after punk happened -- the United States had its first punk rock hit albums and singles, as a wave of bands raised on '80s hardcore and '70s punk worked its way into the American mainstream. Essentially, Punk Revival bands were all traditionalists -- they kept alive the sounds and styles of groups like the Sex Pistols, the Stooges, the Jam, the Exploited, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, the Descendents, and countless other punk and hardcore bands. Since hardcore mutated into speed metal in the late '80s, it wasn't surprising that these punk traditionalists were heavier than their initial influences, but that is partially what made the music appealing to a mass audience in America -- it was simpler and heavier, much like a faster, harder outgrowth of grunge rock. The first punk revivalists to break into the American mainstream were Green Day and the Offspring, and their success helped solidify cult followings for groups like Rancid, NOFX, Pennywise, and Pansy Division, as well as bring the spotlight to neglected '80s punk bands like Bad Religion and underground punk genres like the third wave of ska revival."
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:25 am

yes, and the experts are flawless judges of musical talent.

I really don't see that Greenday has a lot in common with punk.. And come on, pennywise and Greenday in the same group? even sub-group?

i'm not saying they suck ass, although i don't really like them as much as i used to. i'm just saying they are very different from punk.
TheenD
Trainee

Post by TheenD » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:04 pm

not saying that they are experts at talent...

I'm just putting another perspective on the issue....

take it as you will....
St.Lucifer
Enforcer

Post by St.Lucifer » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:25 pm

all music genres evolve and change
they have to otherwise they go stale and noone will listen
punk then and punk now are indeed differant but stem from the same roots
punk is a way of letting people know what u beleive, 'a revolution' as bogey put it
punk is still used to put across messages in this case, what goat referred to as 'bush bashing'bush
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:00 pm

i have never gotten "messages in punk music"...what would those be nowadays?....hanging out in your car,getting off with girls at the weekend?...fucking a dog in the ass?...punk is a joke today

greenday whilst singing about issues,or so i believe...cant compare to the messages in system of a down,whilst the lyrics are weird,the music is great,but the meaning behind some songs isn't clears,if you understand those meanins,you'll find some are quite deep

im sure blink 182,taking back sunday,sum 41 are all writting there songs with deep lyrics(notes heavy sarcasm)...like i said,punk is a joke commonly,sometimes produces great music,those are the songs that catch my mind,but teenagers wialing down a mic,or old men(I.E greenday,Off spring,Blink182) just aren't my taste both singing about doing girls and riding cars,bah

tho ill admit punk is great party music

EDIT: punk is hardly revolutionary...Nu-Metal is revolutionary,who in rock had ever used a 7 string guitar untill 1994?...not many....combined effects other than the simple overdrive,clean or distroted...not many,when 1994 came and korn his the plates,the shit really fucking hit the fan,then manson not long after he was a revolutionary,not waily teens and there "punk"..punk died then was reintergrated with teens,very very dulled down i might add,the sex pistols...pennywise...hardy singing about screwing dogs in the ass?...and "i dont like blink 182" is no defence to punk....ph34r the dogs ass!!!
Last edited by Matt on Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wulf
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Wulf » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:10 pm

Shin wrote:i have never gotten "messages in punk music"...what would those be nowadays?....hanging out in your car,getting off with girls at the weekend?...fucking a dog in the ass?...punk is a joke today

greenday whilst singing about issues,or so i believe...cant compare to the messages in system of a down,whilst the lyrics are weird,the music is great,but the meaning behind some songs isn't clears,if you understand those meanins,you'll find some are quite deep

im sure blink 182,taking back sunday,sum 41 are all writting there songs with deep lyrics(notes heavy sarcasm)...like i said,punk is a joke commonly,sometimes produces great music,those are the songs that catch my mind,but teenagers wialing down a mic,or old men(I.E greenday,Off spring,Blink182) just aren't my taste both singing about doing girls and riding cars,bah

tho ill admit punk is great party music

EDIT: punk is hardly revolutionary...Nu-Metal is revolutionary,who in rock had ever used a 7 string guitar untill 1994?...not many....combined effects other than the simple overdrive,clean or distroted...not many,when 1994 came and korn his the plates,the shit really fucking hit the fan,then manson not long after he was a revolutionary,not waily teens and there "punk"..punk died then was reintergrated with teens,very very dulled down i might add,the sex pistols...pennywise...hardy singing about screwing dogs in the ass?...and "i dont like blink 182" is no defence to punk....ph34r the dogs ass!!!
dream theater used a 7 string through most of there album "awake" dude...
St.Lucifer
Enforcer

Post by St.Lucifer » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:37 pm

there is a differance between putting messages across and having a fukin laugh
i wanna fuk a dog in the ass was only there for humour
also you cant try and compare greenday to blink 182 they might both be punk but they have differant styles and as we all no blink are a brand new band compared to greenday
its like comparing metallica and korn you just dont