Musical influence

From those killer tunes that you heard 6 years ago in the back of a mini bus, heading into Utah, or the songs that are on the radio now. This is the place. (No R&B please, because it doesn't exist)
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:53 pm

eh... i could live without them. For some reason that high pitched thing he dose with his voice bothers me.... While i'll admit it takes MASSIVE amounts of tallent to sing like that, i just don't enjoy hearing it the way he does it.
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:02 pm

*sings along to love is only a feeling, hitting the high notes*

i wonder if he can do that without having a sore throat or headache afterwards o.0

but yeah, you see musical trends, normaly os someone in the band liked the band that they end up sounding similar to
Murton
Whelp

Post by Murton » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:57 pm

I tend to listen more to the influential than the influenced my tastes being set in the older music, especially the birth of the Thrash Metal era in the early 80s back in sunny California and more specifically the San Fransisco Bay area.

Motorhead, Thin Lizzy, Misfits etc ---> Metallica
Metallica then went on to influence Dream Theater as noted above, Apocalyptica were nothing until Plays Metallica by Four Cellos, a fucking amazing album and anyone who says otherwise will be shot. And a few more bands that I probably don't bother with as well as a few I could name from germany and the like that nobody would have heard of anyway.

Iron Maiden, another big favourite of mine went on to influence Angra, Sonata Arctica and Thunderstone all three of which have enjoyed making a few Maiden covers each that weren't too bad.

Nirvana I don't see the big thing about, they're way overrated. Some unwashed scabby lookin' dude groaning into a mic without any real melody to the track, doesn't appeal sorry. I'm sure if Kurt didn't pebbledash his place with brainmatter Nirvana would have fizzled out in a couple of years and they wouldn't be mentioned in this thread, just like Oasis.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:07 pm

Oasis wasn't so bad until they started saying they were comparable, or better, then the beatles (can't remember which they said)

I have yet to find a real solid influence on Tool, other then Pink Floyd which i can only hear now that i've actually heard it from the band. I really REALLY think they were actually influenced by some Classical artists, not because of the instruments or their sound as much as their really fucked up use of times signatures.

somebody want to help me out here?
Nosferatu
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Nosferatu » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:58 pm

just about every bit of music i hear influences me in some way, whether i like it, or don't like it. simple as that.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:53 pm

Bah, the Darkness is a shitty gimic. I hate them with a passion.

Now electric six do what the darkness claims, but in so many better ways.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:44 pm

yes,but when i hear the gay bar i destroy things,so annoying that song
Orpheus
Civillian

Post by Orpheus » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:47 am

Pretty obvious one is the influence the Ramones have on bands now i.e The Strokes

It fair to say the only reason the Strokes exist is because of The Ramones.
adok
Solider

Post by adok » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:40 am

gay bar has strong music but the lyrics suck, puddle of mud are definatly influenced by nirvana their can be no doubt about that