Japanese Music

From those killer tunes that you heard 6 years ago in the back of a mini bus, heading into Utah, or the songs that are on the radio now. This is the place. (No R&B please, because it doesn't exist)
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:09 am

Well, I've been over here for about a month and I've collected quite a collection of Japanese music so far. Some J-pop, J-Hip Hop, and J-rock as well. I'm wondering if anybody else has heard of and listens to Japanese music (even the stuff in Animes), or if people are content listening to just music from their respective countries . . .
Shane
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Shane » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:53 pm

yes.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:02 am

i heard a couple of artists, J and Hide, but they were kinda j-poprock, so they didn't really hold my interest for long... pop seldom does.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:28 am

why is it that topics on japanese music are never on music created with traditional native instruments by composers?

instead its about music that you could hear just about anywhere in the world sans the lyrics created by famous transexuals.

classic themed stuff gets no love.
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:58 am

I like some J-Pop, mostly stuff from the anime's i watch. like i like the orange range from Naruto and Bleach and i like stuff like the pillows from FLCL and i like a song from Azumanga Diaoh, maybe i just like the stuff because of my experiences with the animes? who knows.
nakodai
Trainee

Post by nakodai » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:13 am

well, the majority of music i listen to is american, since that's where i am and what i'm most exposed to, but i'm actually quite fond of j-rock. l'arc en ciel, psycho le cemu, dir en grey, and malice mizer to name a few, as well as some j-pop like do as infinity, boa and x-japan...

OH OH OH, and the pillows. the pillows especially. back seat dog is brilliant. >_
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:37 am

You know, that's something I noticed Kaos. There are a ton of crappy transexual artists as you put it, and they aren't even that good. It's like scratching a blackboard with your nails, right? But then again, there are tripe, meaningless bands with crappy songs in WHATEVER country you go to. While they don't all play instruments, the ones that do usually hold more respect from me. L`Arc~En~Ciel is decent, and I'm also very impressed with Japanese Hip-Hop. It's still sorta up and coming, and J-Pop really tends to overshadow it, but I'm really starting to like M-flo and Crystal Kay. M-flo started out very lyrical but is now sorta becoming mainstream . . . but their tunes are still great and get you moving. Crystal Kay on the other hand started out mostly pop and has since really changed her style.

At the moment, I'm continuing my search for good artists in Japan. There is tons of crap to wade through, but I'm sure there is some sweet bands here! I'm going underground!!!
Onisama
Whelp

Post by Onisama » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:58 pm

I listen to a *lot* of Japanese music now ^_^
if you want a few good bands, try The Pillows (They did the FLCL music) The Brilliant Green, Ellegarden, 175r

and if you want something really damn strange [aka 'Visual Kei' / Visual rock] then try 12012, X Japan, Dir en grey, Baroque, D'espairs Ray o_o; *brain dead*

there are obviously a lot more, but that's all i can think of right now :D

oh, if you're looking for a good solo singer, try Shiina / Shena Ringo or her band Tokyo Jihen. She's fantastic O_O;; with a jazzy bluesy style voice and a rock .. twist? erm. yeah. there we go ...
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:25 pm

kaos wrote:why is it that topics on japanese music are never on music created with traditional native instruments by composers?

I've got some of it on my computer... japanese and chinese alike...

Honestly, I prefer the chinese classical though.
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:59 am

recently ive been into the high and mighty color, they are like a japanese linkinpark. thats what i think anyways, people may beg to differ.
Spider Jerusalem
Solider

Post by Spider Jerusalem » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:34 am

Beck's entire soundtrack is wonderous, and everyone should listen to it.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:31 pm

I'm going through another phase again ... going to go to the rental store tomorrow and get a buttload of CDs for my collection. Dragon Ash, Bennie K, Gackt, The Pillow's new CD, Kagrra, Nightmare ... and maybe Utada Hikaru. Would be sweet if I could find half of those tomorrow ....
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:20 pm

I like Utada Hikaru...though her 'english' albulm is short of iffy on me.

I like the seatbelts, do as infinity...gosh...and a few others but it's been a while since i've listened to any
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:31 am

They always have music playing in the chinky on the corner. Buggered if I know what it is though.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:39 am

Utada's English CD is utter crap. Stay away from it at all costs.

"Easy Breezy and I'm Japanezy"?????? WTF?!?!? I should slap her for that ... even though she's hot ... I guess I'll just have to slap a little lower ... and from her backside ...