Alien vs Predator

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Murton
Whelp

Post by Murton » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:06 pm

Right, Alien vs Predator, in terms of an action movie featuring Aliens and Predators, very sweet. In terms of being a Predator movie, it gives a nice insight into the Predator's hunter culture and that each hunter must complete a trial as a rite of passage, good movie. In terms of an Alien movie it was fucking awful possibly even worse than Alien Resurrection, the technical errors with the Aliens were unforgiveable. Gestation period within a human host is several days (as seen in Alien) rather than five minutes as seen in the sacrificial chamber. Also the facehugger stays attached to the host for a number of hours before leaving the host, alive and dying shortly after (see Alien) rather than dying immediately after leaving the host in AvP. Oh, and the aliens all grow up into adolescents and adults in about fifteen minutes as opposed to a couple of weeks as seen previously. Also, in Alien the android Ash explains that the facehugger is a parasite which lays a pre-fertilised embryo into the host, many writers of Alien novels and such and also Alien 3 decided that the physical nature of the host determines the traits of the Alien, which of course is impossible in an already fertilised embryo as it's dna coding will be fixed.

Basically, the movie, albeit with some minor flaws in the technicals of the Aliens, wasn't too bad. Same writer and director as Resident Evil and he did a little better with the camera angles during combat this time. The storyline of the film, although not massively developed is good enough to keep you sitting there watching it and if you switch off and watch the movie for what it is, you can probably ignore the fact that the Predator's are fucking wimps and get owned at every corner or even that the Alien life cycle has sped up by a factor of 50 and see a good sci-fi action film, I did and then picked my faults in the post-movie debate in the lobby before moving onto our next movie.

Overall - I'd give it a 7/10, worth seeing if your mates ask or just need to get out of the house for a while.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:39 pm

I was never one to believe Predators were all that tough anyway. Sure their technology is advanced and they're stronger, but it's proven in both Predator films that they're useless when they don't know where anything is, which is what aliens are best at. I thought it was pretty accurate, and you have to forgive the timespan of the development of the aliens, simply because it's a fucking story and that stuff only matters to geeks who have no fucking life!

I was pleasantly surprised with the film, wasn't expecting much but it actually had a good interesting story to it, and the queen alien looked great!
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:44 pm

It was a not bad movie, but yeah, it palled in comparrison to there original sources, and like you say, the amount of inacuracises with the aliens was kinda sucky, but then, for the purposes of the story, i guess they had to really.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:10 pm

what would those be?
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:01 pm

read murtons post shin, im lay and dont like repeating other people
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:58 pm

i dunno, the terror element that made the alien movies so good is almost gone. it's more hack 'n slash action then anything else

god that first alien movies scared the living piss and shit out of me.
Wulf
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Wulf » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:31 am

There were no Marines Damnit!!! they shouldent have set it in present day. <_< silly scientist people.
Murton
Whelp

Post by Murton » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:59 am

Yeah, about that. The founder of the Weyland Corporation died along with how many other guys, and there was a survivor and another couple satellites which could have seen what happened, yet none of this was in the history banks for the first Alien movies, AvP2 will either see a huge Weyland Corporation coverup and the first "Bishop" android constructed to double for Mr Weyland, or that guide woman doesn't make it back to civilisation alive to tell her story.

The writer/director guy is very talented when it comes to playing film studios for fools, he's only done 3 movies and they all end the exact same way, a cliffhanger type ending saying "see you next year for my sequel" why can't any movies just end anymore, I honestly don't remember the last movie I saw with a real ending which said, "that's it people, see you next year for a completely different movie made by me, I'm done with this story now" everything leaves an opening nowadays and as a big movie fan it kinda saddens me.
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:24 pm

I prefer an open ending, but not for them to make a sequel. Like the original Dawn of the Dead had a much better ending than the remake.

Is there going to be an AvP2? I really don't see how they left it open for a sequel, most scifi/action films end in the way that there's one survivor and you assume they either don't tell anyone what happened, or nobody believes them, or their's a cover up. No need for a sequel in most cases.
St.Lucifer
Enforcer

Post by St.Lucifer » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:01 pm

as for the sequel i think he was referring to the alien on the ship

as for the aliens bein born-maybe the predators developed away to speed it up for the ritual but it wasnt mentioned in the film???

as for predators being wimps-they were young, inexperianced and on their first hunt and they had no guns!!! although the predator that kicked the queens ass was hard as nails even if he did shit himself when he first seen her

although there is no fear consept left with aliens or for that matter predator the way that the aliens moved and fought was awsome! if they had been able to do that in the original trilogy then the films would have been ten times better.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:16 pm

see now i thought the way that you didn't see the alien fully (at least in the first movie) until the end kinda built up the freak factor. You go through the whole movie with the 'what the fuck IS this thing' feeling. But like i said, it was more of an action then horror movie anyway so i guess that makes sense.
Murton
Whelp

Post by Murton » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:44 am

Sequel - this guy WILL do a sequel, he's a writer/director who is yet to work on an original concept yet has done 3 blockbusters, I think he's avoiding working on his own material, RE3 and AvP2 are both happening.

As for the development process acceleration, if such a thing existed this guy would include it in the film, look at the Resident Evil movies, he doesn't try to skip on technicals about the zombies there. He's the writer and director in both cases.

I believe I did mention that the predator's were young and embarking on their trial in the pyramid. However, to expect a completely untrained hunter to take on the ultimate prey is suicide, the trial is blatantly the last hunt for a predator before he leaves his clan's training programme and can hunt alone, ie without an Elder sitting in the ship a short distance off. As for them having no guns, yes the shoulder cannon is the top of the predator's arsenal, but with everything we know about them from the comics and books and what we can assume after the original movies, they have those guns but don't really rely solely upon them very much in the same way that a US Marine won't rely solely on his rifle, you always carry additional weapons and the knowledge and training to use them correctly.

As for the way the aliens moved and fought, very nice. But with the pyramid structure and lots of dark corridors the potential was there to shoot it like the first one and make it suspense building movie leading up to the big fight scene like Alien. I also notice that you make reference to the Alien movies as a trilogy despite there being 4 of them, I'll assume this was deliberate based on how much Alien 4 sucked ass.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:48 pm

The reason the alien moved so well was because it was cgi not a 7 foot tall dude in rubber suit.

I like how necessity make these films scarier than they would be, because the models look crap they hide them in the shadows and cover them up.

It's like werewolf in london the entire fil you never say the wolf shit in half the scenes you do see it, you really don't you just see it's shadow or the silohette it's not till right at the end you catch bigger glimpses, it adds to the thrill. Predator was an Action movie not a horror and aliens has been slowly going more actiony therefore this film was clearly goign to be all action.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:18 pm

gald someone agrees with me

and yeah, i don't count 4. Suprisingly most poeple don't and consider the first 3 movies a trilogy. I wasn't really trying to be clever or anything, it's just how i assumed things went.
St.Lucifer
Enforcer

Post by St.Lucifer » Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:13 pm

Murton wrote: I also notice that you make reference to the Alien movies as a trilogy despite there being 4 of them, I'll assume this was deliberate based on how much Alien 4 sucked ass.
of course