Resident Evil Apocalypse

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Murton
Whelp

Post by Murton » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:28 pm

Before I start I would like to point out that I am not a fan of the Resident Evil series and I haven't played any of the games through.

Last night a group of friends and I went to see the new Resident Evil movie and we could all pretty much agree that it was a big disappointment.

The storyline was incredibly loose and about ten minutes in you notice the first deleted scene, the cops have arrested a bunch of peeps who have been infected by the T-Virus and they're causing all sorts of problems in station and then in walks Jill who shoots everyone in the head and explains her actions "They're infected" firstly, who the hell is Jill? Yes I've seen the games and know who she is, but what's wrong with introducing your characters before they kill a bunch of zombies? and also how on gods green earth does she know about the T-Virus, they comment in the movie several times about how secret the T-Virus research was, but this random cop chick knows enough about it to spot an infected person and to shoot them in the head to stop them. I think not.

The film continues in a similar method to the first with little or no storyline or plot devlopment in favour of showing you scene after scene of violence and/or people running away, which is fair enough I guess. But then we have Alice fighting a series of enemies in hand to hand combat, she fights a big dirty pile of zombies, a few special forces troopers from Umbrella Corp and of course, Nemesis. In all of these fights she spins around in circles waving her arms like some retarded kid while the camera angle changes every half second. I personally would prefer the screen to go blank for three seconds and then come back showing her standing over the broken bodies of her opponents for what the fight scenes were worth. I'm a big fan of violence in movies using both guns and hand to hand combat methods, but if the camera angle doesn't stay long enough to watch it and you can't actually see the moves or anything they might as well not show anything.

And also there's the ending, I'll not spoil it but I will say that I think it sucks and it's a complete cop out on the account of the writers basically demanding for another sequel like they did in the first one. Resident Evil 3 will probably go straight to dvd to prevent it getting slated by movie critics.

Anyone else seen this movie, perhaps it's available on DVD in America and there are special features that explains Jill's being psychic in the beginning, or a public apology from the director about the fight scene or possibly even the fight scenes with less camera angles so we can actually see them. Post opinions here, perhaps discuss what you expect to see in the 3 and subsequent Resident Evil movies and give the movie a rating.

On the classic rating scale of 1-10 I give this movie a WTF

Your turn.
St.Lucifer
Enforcer

Post by St.Lucifer » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:57 pm

i really quite enjoyed it
the effects were good and i think ur exaggerating about the camera angles just a little tho i do see where ur coming from
as for jills knowledge perhaps they are thinking prequel rather than sequel
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:40 am

dunno, i thought the movie kicked ass though. I think they tried to design a movie you could watch even if you had no idea what the series was about. And yeah, they had to sacrifice a little to do that, but i enjoyed it anyway.
Murton
Whelp

Post by Murton » Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:33 pm

Me and my mates watch a hell of a lot of movies, and that week we had watched a fair few classics. Looking back over, with the exception of the camera angles and the hyperspeed fighting, the rest of the movie was passable and not too bad really. Alien vs Predator, Man on Fire and Layer Cake are all on my list as is Blade Trinity even though I despised Blade 2, but with The Game (Triple H) playing one of the bad guys we should hopefully be able to look forward to properly done fight scene, my hopes for a Marvel Comic movie as well done as The Punisher are way far fetched as all other Marvel Movies have been rather disappointing, but what the hell. Cinema trip costs me like £6 and gets me out of the house for a few hours without getting me drunk, which is a bonus.
adok
Solider

Post by adok » Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:54 pm

i liked resident evil too, i never realy pay any attention to what critics say, i tend to like films they dont, and hate films they love (twenty one grams sucked i dont care what anyone says). i never played the game but even i can work out its a zombie shoot it in the head. its like the first rule of zombie killing shoot them in the heads. jill obviously had seen a fair few zombie films in her time.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:38 am

It notice the jill moment too but the only thing I can think of is that

A. She watches many zombie films

B. Her discreditted STARS status and the newspaper clippings have more to do with Umberalla than is told. But as Racoon City is the first of many incidnet spot this is unlikely but not impossible.

The Resident story line is vastly complex and takes up about 100 hours or so over the 6 or 7 games condensing that into 2 films about an hour an ahalf long each is gonna be hard.

Also they can be direct ports of the story line because the fans will complain that there was nothing for them to care about.

Puit it this way If I was given the task of writting and directing (as was done in RE:A) a film based upon the action in FF8 it'd be a nightmare, how do you condense a 40 hour plot arch into one hour and 30minutes without losing scope and depth .. the answer is simple you can't.

I liked the film it had it's flaws, the action sytle of wanky camera is the 'IN' thing at the moment (see bourne II) I didn't like it then and I didn't like in RE2 but I got over it.

Yes, the enitre ending smelt of FanFic writter to me too but the film overall was worth my time to watch it.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:22 am

yeah but the first movie ended like that too. and i'm pretty sure when another RE movie comes out, it will pick up exactly where this one left off just like the last one.

i'll mention it again in case nobody reads it in the other topic (i can't find it anyway) but did anybody notice the nod to 'code veronica' in that movie? the whole helicopter chase through a buliding and the drop-the-gun trick?

only difference was it was a different character and she shot the guards instead of a container of explosives.
Last edited by Super Goat Weed on Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:16 am

i liked the film

but in all fairness, shouldn't there be ANY reason to her vast zombie knowledge when shes only just turned up on screen?

really, an RE movie that litterally is RE1 is in order

there are three versions on the game.....no four

PSX
PSX DC
Saturn
Gamecube

so no one could complain of not having any element of suprise, in fact, the film needs to be done, to satisfy RE fans,

im sure i could hold my hand on my heart and safly say that most people who went to see RE1 (film) came out pissed off at any level??
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:37 pm

To be honest Mik, you could fit FF8s plot into a 30 minute film. I fail to see where you're coming from with trying to fit all the game storylines into the film. I haven't seen RE:A yet, and probably won't, but surely it's a completely new storyline. Just like, for example, X-Men was. Just because it came from something that has 100's of hours of plot, doesn't mean one story has to contain all of that. It's hardly a direct version of a story like LOTR.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:06 am

good point. I modify my statement. I couldn't do it well in 1hr 30.

You have to seperate the gamer from the movie !

RE:A is not RE2,

they could have done it but decided not too, it's just how like all the comic book movie (yes, I am aware most of them blow) take the core storyline and change parts of it.

i haven't played Code Veronica though I was otld by somewho did play that they thought so too.
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:57 pm

you can probably get the clip off the net still, it's the opening FMV. I'd actually reccomend it.

i just thought it was cool they incorporated something so directly from the games. maybe i sould be offended and say they ripped it off, but like i said, i see it more as a tribute paid to the fans of the series then stealing material.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:34 am

Yeah, shame the references ended up sucking ass

i will still ripped the next one off the net first before i spend my money to see it, AVP i'll buy on DVD
Darkside
Enforcer

Post by Darkside » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:16 am

I haven't seen the movie, but why wouldn't it end that way. The Games leave you hanging all the time.

Like at the end of RE: Code veronica. Claire: So what do we do now? Chris: Where going after umbrella. End game. not to mention we won't see those two taking on umbrella considering Umbrellae is dead in RE 4. They said Where going after umbrella at the end of RE: 2 as well.

i wouldn't say all the games take a 100 hours in total.

re: 3 hours
re 2: 1:30h/2h
RE 3: 3 H
RE CV: 5/6h(longest and coolest re at the moment)
Not sure how long the 3 survivor games are but dead aim seems to be a few hours.
RE:outbrake that all depends. theres 5 senerio's and each take time to learn before you can complete it fast. most took an hour or two to complet my first time through. then dropped to maybe below 30 minutes.

As far as RE 4 goes, should take 10-15 hours to complete.

I wanna see this RE movie since i am a fan. i thought it looked pretty good. hope the DVD comes out soon.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:48 pm

I overestimated on purpose I wasn't sure of the exact quantim of material, most of time spent in games is in play rather than plot.

I think it's safe to say .. it could have been worse !
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:31 pm

See Mik only made an estimation because it really doesn't matter to normal people.