Star Wars vs George Lucas

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Murton
Whelp

Post by Murton » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:06 pm

Ok, I was out for a little shopping the other day and decided that I don't read enough so I bought a couple books. The first being one of the Han Solo trilogies, being one of my favourite sci-fi characters when I saw this book it was a must have. I then remembered that I saw the book for the original trilogy in another shop and got myself down there and bought that, of course I openned it straight away as I left the shop and skimmed the introduction written by George Lucas himself. The first line in this introduction: "From the outset I conceived Star Wars as a series of six films, or two trilogies." Ok, those avid Star Wars nerds/fans out there or simply those who have watched the special features on the new dvd box set will know that he in fact wrote nine films, thats three trilogies and the studio and publishers told him that the first and last would make bad movies and the middle one would make an epic saga that will live on for many years. So what the fuck is he on about?

Basically, this is a debate of Star Wars vs George Lucas. I want opinions on the original trilogy and the blashpemous acts of George Lucas against his own work, this includes the prequels, changing of his own words and stories and anything else you wish to bring into the fray.

My personal standpoint, the Star Wars Trilogy was fantastic and couldn't be faulted, the small changes in the special edition such as Greedo firing first and Luke screaming as he lets go of the suspension bridge were annoying. The sequels were an utter crime and George Lucas should be shot before he kills his other great trilogy, Indiana Jones. He has completely destroyed a great piece of sci fi culture to line his own pocket when he could have just as easily came up with some new original work and earned from that, the man is an asshole plain and simple.

I got a little carried away there towards the end, but I mean every word. your turn.
Wulf
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Wulf » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:24 pm

I hate jar jar binks :mellow:
ewoks are cool :mellow:
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:38 pm

"Jar Jar Binks makes Ewoks look like fucking Shaft" - Tim Bisley, Spaced Series 2

George Lucas has gone senile, he can't help but remake his great works over and over. It's the same with any piece of art/media. There's a point where you can stop and it'll be perfect, but if you carry on you can ruin everything you've done.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:57 pm

what about Chewi-bacca?
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:01 pm

We'll probably see a completely CG Chewbacca in the original trilogy in a few years.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:51 pm

stupid CG...

I want a man in a suit dammit
Bogey
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Bogey » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:56 pm

Yes, bring on traditional Power Ranger fights!
adok
Solider

Post by adok » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:56 am

i dont think that the original trilogy will be redone again, even the last time was a pretty standard digital remaster and the adition of some scenes that were in the original script. they said back then that was the last time it would be available on video. so the new dvds are just updating the films to the new most popular format. if the films were not updated according to format then they would be lost. basically i wouldnt worry about the original trilogy being remade.
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:16 am

Oh come on. Star Wars isn't that great...
Super Goat Weed
Anti-Hero

Post by Super Goat Weed » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:35 am

i dunno man. I don't think it's a stretch to say that what Star Wars did for sci fi films is like what the Beatles did for Rock.
the original trilogy anyway.