Did you like FLCL?

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:10 am

Well yes I did. I thought it was a great mini-anime series with amazing music done by The Pillows. Sure the plot was helter skelter and mismatched . . . but I got a kick out of the randomness and thought the animation was bad ass. Anybody else have any comments about it?

THe music is really what made it such an experience for me . . . really rocking stuff! I LOVE THE PILLOWS!
Vandire
Vagabond

Post by Vandire » Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:42 am

Not seen said anime, wouldnt mind tho, and yes, the pillows are good.
Wulf
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Wulf » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:44 pm

hell yes, one of my faves. manga is great too
Akrid
Solider

Post by Akrid » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:35 pm

I guess I'm not that much of a philosopher, because I really didn't get the subliminal message behind it all, or even know if there was one. I got confused by it alot.

Edit: and not to say anything against those who enjoyed the music, but I found it very out of place and annoying in the series.
Last edited by Akrid on Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xanien
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Xanien » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:43 am

It was definitely different. It wasn't all classical or techno . . . a good change from the norm. The entire series was a change from the norm in my opinion. But to each person their own (opinion I mean). I thought the music merged seemlessly with what was going on in the series. My favorite songs were "Crazy Sunshine" which played with Naota hit that falling Sattelite bomb on top of Medical Mechanica and at the end of the series when he turned into the Pirate King and fought Haruko and that giant hand. Weeeee!! Loved every second of that wild ride . . . but most of it was totally random.
Nosferatu
Not-A-Deserter

Post by Nosferatu » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:55 pm

FLCL is awesome. it's so incredibly random and insane that it is awesome.

notice that everything had to do with the number five?
Lupus
Alive

Post by Lupus » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:51 pm

Nosferatu wrote:FLCL is awesome. it's so incredibly random and insane that it is awesome.

notice that everything had to do with the number five?
There is also this theory going around that it is a reflection of Japan's current poltical climate, with Naota representing Japan, his brother America, Mamimi the lower class and Haruko foreign influences.

I really enjoyed watching FLCL. I completely agree with the random and insanity comment, but what really drew me into it is the excellent animation. So smooth that you can feel it sliding over your skin.
nakodai
Trainee

Post by nakodai » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:02 am

my favorite thing about the anime is the soundtrack, the pillow's brilliantly scatterbrained music is a perfect fit for gainax's style.
Drabe,ThePirateking
Whelp

Post by Drabe,ThePirateking » Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:24 pm

I loved it, the concept was fresh and interesting, i loved the charecters not so much the main but as for tv boy and Haruka. i didn't like the sichotic chick who was Noata's brothers girlfriend, i dont know what she was susposed to do for the story? man its been a while since i heard there names, the other thing was, man that kid owned a lot of guitars, i wonder if he learned to play?

i got the subliminal message behind it, well sort of. SPOILERS!

It was most likely Haruka and Noata's relationship falling apart, he ended up losing Haruka, you know the old saying better to have loved and lossed...etc.
Last edited by Drabe,ThePirateking on Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nakodai
Trainee

Post by nakodai » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:26 pm

i read the manga more than i watched the series...

well, it was naota's older brother takun who owned all the guitars, but he was in america being a professional baseball player. mamimi, his girlfriend, didn't want to accept the fact that he was gone and that he wasn't coming back so she clung to naota, calling him takun as a replacement. she bonded with tv boy and called him canti, the god of flames from her video game, and she was also the arsonist that set fire to a bunch of buildings near the beginning of the story. her role wasn't the most clear, but she ended up tying a lot of things together with her actions.

i agree that the main message behind it has to deal with the development of relationships between people, loving someone and losing them and then contemplating that loss.

for all its seeming randomness and immaturity, it's a very deep anime. it's pretty much set the par for most of the manga/anime i've seen since.
XenoRaven
Enforcer

Post by XenoRaven » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:38 am

Oh my did I ever love this series. It was fantastic. It seems so completely random, and is at some points, but at the same time everything that happens has a significant meaning. There's a lot of things going on under the surface, from Mamimi's relationship with Naota and his brother to Naota hitting puberty. The music's great, the characters are great, the story and writing is great. I just wish it was a feeeew episodes longer. I would have liked to see a little more development between Naota and Haruko. Would have made the ending a lot more dramatic.
Spider Jerusalem
Solider

Post by Spider Jerusalem » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:21 am

If you loved FLCL, grab Gunbuster 2 from the same team.

Sadly, no Pillows music, BUT, the wackiness is there.

As well as hot naked chicks, huge robots, amazing fights, and the catchiest theme song ever by the people who brought you the Chobits opening theme.