Fahrenheit 9/11

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Alitayuy
Civillian

Post by Alitayuy » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:32 pm

I saw the movie just Friday with two of my friends (in which they were bored!!!) and I felt it was worth discussing.

Micheal Moore really put political cartoon and freedom of speech into a new kind of media. It really really bashed Bush, and made us, the viewers, realize so many things. Such as the relationship the Bush family had with the Bin Ladin's and Sadi's...there's so many things to talk about but before I give it away or go on forever about a certain thing in the movie. Has anyone seen it or has anything to discuss about it.
Evil Matt
Enforcer

Post by Evil Matt » Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:13 pm

I'm sure everyone took something different away from that movie. I'm American, and you could say I follow progressive polotics to the extent that I've heard most of the Bush bashing charges already. The stuff with the Saudis was new to me, but I don't know how relevent it is.

I think the later part of the film made a lot of strong emotional arguments. Things like interviews with soldiers, and particularly the mother whose son died, really hit home.

The potential problem with this movie is, while I'm glad it's reaching a lot of people and I approve of the messege, Moore is in danger of discrediting himself by going too far. Things like the Saudi-Bush connections, and the Afghanistan pipeline issue, seem more like conspiracy theories than real possibilities. Whether or not they're truly valid, pushing them may turn people away from the larger message. Making attacks on Bush that seem arbitrary will make it seem more like a political advertisement than a substansive documentary.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:02 am

I have no intentions on seeing it.

but im just wondering why everybody keeps calling it a movie.

is it really a movie?

from what i hear about it it just doesnt seem like it is.
Alitayuy
Civillian

Post by Alitayuy » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:36 am

I agree, some of the things brought up were unneccessary to the overall point that should have been made. But obviously it was a very leftist movie and made a good point.

...Whether it being a movie or not, it depends on your definition of movie. It was moving pictures. It was a film, so by vague definition, yes, it was. But if you meant if it was acted out and written out, no, it was a documentary that really wanted to get across a point.

I suggest everyone go see it. Not for the bashing of Bush, but because it's worth seeing. Anyway, if one movie was going to atler your thoughts completely, you don't have a very stable mind set. So I suggest seeing it to get one side, and to learn a little bit more about our situation in international affairds and what the war is TRULY about. Hrm...
cenee
Enforcer

Post by cenee » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:11 pm

I saw the "documentary" last night, and I came away from it feeling (almost) vindicated. I've been saying for years that Bush was an idiot, though just how much of one even I didn't have the slightest inkling.

I honestly don't believe Moore is spreading conspiracy theories about. There's too much documentation to negate that. He'd also be setting himself up for a world of hurt in slander suits. But I do think he took what he had and pushed it to the utter end. What makes a person sit up and take notice faster than shock factor value?

And I find it very interesting how the Bush family was able to keep their Saudi connections so well hidden and out of the spotlight. Where the hell is Ken Starr when you need him?

It'll be interesting to see just how Moore's message will affect Bush's re-election.