Game of Thrones: How are you guys not discussing this series

Ah, the idiot box, our childhood companion/minder let us speak of your marvellous ways and bask in your shiny technicolour.
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Re: Game of Thrones: How are you guys not discussing this se

Post by Melana » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:33 am

We should start a spoiler thread in Books for people who haven't read it.

The dragons are alot wilder than I anticipated. I know that they are meant to be wild it's just I think i'm used to more...sentient(?) dragons. I dunno, I was raised on Pern dragons.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:31 pm

I read one of those...
what the heck was "the thread?"
Melana
Distgrunted Hero

Post by Melana » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:11 am

Basically Thread was like this random organism that fell from an asteroid...or planet or something when it came to close to orbit to Pern. Basically it ate anything that was organic. I dunno I did always think it was kind of random. I think it got explained better in one of the later books as the tech got rediscovered but to be honest when they started becoming more sci-fi and less fantasy I kind of lost interest.

So how much do we all like Tyrion (I actually always liked him in the books even without Peter Dinklages awesome performance), I'm not sure how the Shay thing is going to go. It's very 50 50.

I also think that the casting for Brianne of Tarth was good. There was a lot of she's too pretty for the role stuff flying about but MAN, did they make her manly.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:05 am

Yeah when briene was first cast I was like bullshit, the call her horse face in the books, this bitch could be a model or something.

But yeah they even made her walk awkward (although mans breastplate alone would probably help with that, getting an oversize one on a bloke is bad enough, I still remember the bruises)
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:57 pm

Tyrion is just fucking awesome, really.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Sun May 12, 2013 1:14 am

So... I finally started this series almost a month ago.

House Targaryen is my House (My friends and I claimed a House each and we have to root for them no matter what). My House is AWESOME.

The Dwarf is my favorite non-House character... and the little Stark girl is my second.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Tue May 14, 2013 8:27 am

Everyone loves Arya.

I was very fond of House Stark, favourite character is a hard one, I think it might be Jamie. He's always trying to do what he thinks is the right thing, but he's a hammer, he sees all problems as nails. What mean by that is he's a trained killer since the age of 12, he's never had to rely on his wits alone like Tyrion, he's not stupid by any means but he lacks a level of guile and has a rather simplistic view of this world (House Lannister = OK, everyone else = contempt).

I think through the journey of the books, he's had to grow up in sense, he's discovering who he is as a person and what he thinks, he's not that bad of a guy really
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Tue May 14, 2013 6:07 pm

It's unfortunate that the Targaryen is apparently so boring in the books. I like her character and story thus far. And Jamie is coming along real well in the character development aspect.

You know who's story I give no fucks about?

The Greyjoy asshole.

Seriously... stop wasting screen time on him.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Sat May 18, 2013 2:28 pm

he's the only character confirmed alive so far, as a chapter of his has been released.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Wed May 22, 2013 12:53 pm

I think the series does a fucking fantastic job of outlining how much of a psychotic fuck Ramsey Snow is. That's quite possibly the whole point behind the Theon scenes.

I agree with Will. Daenerys Targaryan is easily my favourite character. She's the mother of dragons and she's brutal.

Though, I'm quite fond of Tywin Lannister. Quite possibly because Charles Dance plays a cunt absolutely perfectly, but mostly because he's metaphorically bitch slapped Cersei into line. I'm waiting for him to do the same with Joffery but I think he might get killed before that gets to happen.

I'm also quite happy that they're stretching each book into two seasons. I thought it was going to race towards the Red Wedding, but then I realised we were on episode 9 or so, and that wasn't going to happen quickly.

There is just so much win in this show.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Thu May 23, 2013 8:15 am

He already did that, last week.

Watch the scene, between him and Joffrey, were they talk about the small council meetings, it's all in there, it's fairly subtle in the book and it's even more so in the TV show but an amazing acting piece.

The premise is that Joffrey has summoned Tywin to give him a bollocking over moving the small council to be at the Tower of Hand, this is a deft move by Tywin as it's basically saying he's the most important member of the council so they should come to him. He reinforces this in the dialogue "It's closer to my Office" in a matter of fact manner, but there is an undertone to the statement and the act, Joffrey is a King in name only, it's Tywin that holds the power.

This becomes even more clear of what Joffrey is trying to do in this scene, he has summoned Tywin to the Throne Room, the long distance to walk, alone, in a empty room, save for Joffrey and his personal guards is an intimidation tactic. He's trying to rest authority back, it's a small gesture but getting Tywin to cave in and move the council back to the castle, establishes that he is the most important member, even if he chooses not to attend because he sees it as beneath him, the mere fact that he might decide to turn up, is enough. He expects limited resistance, this is a kid that's been told his whole life that people will just do as he says when he's King, but he's sorely mistaken.

Tywin says nothing threatening, agrees with him for the most part but is basically ignoring the commands, watch how he moves, his tone is resolute, he's not budging metaphorically but he moves closer to him with every sentence, so that he becomes larger and towers above the seated Joffrey with each step.

At the end of the scene, nothing has changed except Joffrey has lost more power, because before this he theoretically had the ability to command his grandfather, he has been releaved of this notion and his every element of his powerplay is undone, the very weapons he hoped to use, the symbolism of the throne, the underplay of possible violence that no-one would known has been inverted and used against him. Ironically he'd have been in a better position to do this with the throne room filled with people, he's seriously miscalculated, his expression says it all.
Matt
Noble Warrior

Post by Matt » Thu May 23, 2013 8:48 pm

That was a marvellous scene and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have a man-crush on Charles Dance. However, I am holding out hope for something akin to how he spoke to Cersei. The grit in his teeth as he says "you will do as commanded".
Tyrion Lannister: [responds snarkily and angrily] I was wed. Or don't you remember?
Tywin Lannister: [displeased with his son's tone] Only too well.
Cersei Lannister: [looks at her brother with glee] You should be thanking the gods for this. This is more than you deserve.
Tywin Lannister: Tyrion will do as he's bid.
[And turns to Cersei]
Tywin Lannister: As will you.
Cersei Lannister: [turns to her father, confused and uncertain of what he's talking about] What do you mean?
Tywin Lannister: You'll marry Ser Loras.
Cersei Lannister: [Tyrion's eyes go from his father to his sister] I will not.
Tywin Lannister: The boy is heir to Highgarden. Tyrion will secure the North. You will secure the Reach.
Cersei Lannister: No, I won't do it.
Tywin Lannister: Yes, you will. You're still fertile. You need to marry and breed.
Cersei Lannister: [snaps at her father with intense anger] I am Queen Regent, not some broodmare.
Tywin Lannister: [shouts angrily and almost interrupting her] You're my daughter! You will do as I command and you will marry Loras Tyrell and put an end to the disgusting rumors about you once and for all.
Cersei Lannister: [pleading] Father, don't make me do it again, please.
Tywin Lannister: [gets up, pounding the table with his fist] Not another word.
[looks at his children with complete disappointment]
Tywin Lannister: My children. You've disgraced the Lannister name for far too long.
I really enjoyed the Tywin and Arya scenes as well. They weren't in the books but they were well played.
Arya Stark: Visenya Targaryen was a great warrior. She had a Valyrian steel sword she called "Dark Sister."
Tywin Lannister: Hm. She's a heroine of yours, I take it. Aren't most girls more interested in the pretty maidens from the songs? Jonquil, with flowers in her hair?
Arya Stark: Most girls are idiots.
Tywin Lannister: [laughs] You remind me of my daughter. Where did you learn all this stuff about Visenya and her Valyrian steel sword?
Arya Stark: From my father.
Tywin Lannister: [gives Arya a searching look] He was a well-read stonemason? Can't say I've ever met a literate stonemason.
Arya Stark: Have you met many stonemasons, my lord?
Tywin Lannister: [with a small smile] Careful now, girl. I enjoy you, but be careful.
Mik
Born under a bad sign

Post by Mik » Fri May 24, 2013 6:41 pm

yeah, I was most impressed with the little girl last season during that scene, the whole did tywin know who she was or not, was very good.
Masteroftheweb
Vagabond

Post by Masteroftheweb » Sat May 25, 2013 4:44 am

As cold as Tywin can be, I get the feeling he didn't know who she was.

He knew she was Highborne, but not so much who's child she was.
kaos
Noble Warrior

Post by kaos » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:57 am

Thank you all for ruining Zelda